• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Paul George

DrReality

3 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

Good thing the Pacers didn't take our rumored offer of up to 4 first round picks at last year's deadline...

Anyways, I am against trading for Paul George even if we are able to dump Bazemore in the process. The main reason is because then we are pretty much forced to resign Paul Millsap to a deal that we will regret. I think our team with PG could potentially make it to the Finals, but I don't see us beating the Warriors and I would actually favor Cleveland in the ECF. Then Paul George bolts in the offseason and we are stuck with an aging Paul Millsap on a massive contract, along with losing a couple of first round picks that we would need to send to IND.

Yep completely agree with this. Only way I do this is if Sap agrees to a deal for around 20 per and we all know that's not happening. 

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

They got to resign Teague and Miles who will get raises. Hawks won't go to the Finals with George. Need more than that to beat CLE.

Pacers are dreaming at best.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Sothron said:

I'd only trade for him to get rid of Bazemore's contract. no first rounders either. Just bazemore and a 2nd rounder. PG is going to the Lakers, everyone knows this, so why overpay for a  year rental just to get squashed by the Cavs in the playoffs again?

Why do you guys think George couldn't get us a first round pick back as an expiring FA?  Korver did last season and he isn't nearly as good.  A contender will take him just as a rental.

I'm not thinking George is enough to make us a contender so I'm fine with the idea of not wanting to trade for him at all but if you are going to talk about it shouldn't we be building in the fact that he will almost surely have very real sale value at the deadline?

• Like 1

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, AHF said:

Why do you guys think George couldn't get us a first round pick back as an expiring FA?  Korver did last season and he isn't nearly as good.  A contender will take him just as a rental.

I'm not thinking George is enough to make us a contender so I'm fine with the idea of not wanting to trade for him at all but if you are going to talk about it shouldn't we be building in the fact that he will almost surely have very real sale value at the deadline?

That's interesting.   But Indy must be thinking this too.    Trading for PG just feels like we're going to throw a bunch of balls in the air and hope it works out later.   I don't think they are going to take Baze and a 2nd for him when as you said they can trade him at the deadline for at least a 1st and an expiring.   

Tim Legler just proposed on NBA Radio that the Celtics should offer Bradley, Brown and the #3 pick for Paul George and Indy's 1st.  If that's the market for George, Atlanta would have to give up a lot more than we'd want to, especially if it means Baze's salary goes to make it match.  It was just his speculation from what I heard so take it for what it's worth.  Could you imagine a starting 5 of IT, Hayward, George, Crowder and Horford though?  That's pretty stout. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Woj was on NBA radio this morning and said Paul George's reps are telling everyone he's going to the Lakers in free agency.  I'm not sure teams are going to give up assets in the end when they'll virtually have no shot at resigning him.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

Tim Legler just proposed on NBA Radio that the Celtics should offer Bradley, Brown and the #3 pick for Paul George and Indy's 1st.  If that's the market for George, Atlanta would have to give up a lot more than we'd want to, especially if it means Baze's salary goes to make it match.  It was just his speculation from what I heard so take it for what it's worth.  Could you imagine a starting 5 of IT, Hayward, George, Crowder and Horford though?  That's pretty stout. 

Almost certain that the Celtics would need to trade Crowder in order to have space to sign Hayward to a max. I think Butler is much more in play for the Celtics than Paul George.

7 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Woj was on NBA radio this morning and said Paul George's reps are telling everyone he's going to the Lakers in free agency.  I'm not sure teams are going to give up assets in the end when they'll virtually have no shot at resigning him.

Man, I wish I would've listened.  Of all the days to be on a plane!!

Agree with your view on punk-a**Paul.  The league should just ignore him at this point.  He has no value.  If you trade for him, he'll just try to 'DNP-don't wanna get hurt' all year long.  No way he'll be locked in.  He'll be last year's Har_en effort-wise.

Trading for him now is akin to smoking cigarettes then complaining about the lung cancer.

This is interesting but I would take a pass (unless he's signing an extension).

We've complained about Al walking, now possibly Paul without getting back any assets.  So now we trade for a guy who we know is leaving (forget trying to convince him to stay - that's pie in the sky big dreaming - he's going to LAL).  So we give up assets (most likely 2017 #19, Cavs or Minny pick and a young player (don't say Baze) for a guy who we know will leave??? Now we are not only down assets but PG as well?

Yes we can trade him at the deadline but more than likely you will  get back way less than you've just given up to get him.  This would be like Orlando trading for Serge by giving up #11, Oladipo and Illyasova then turned around and trade Serge at this year's deadline for #25 and Ross. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

There is still the issue of Paul Millsap , there is no guarantee that he resigns at a reasonable deal even with PG, so it'll be an overpay for Sap.  Or what if he still leaves after getting PG?

Yes - we need a star but I don;t think it's him - not when all year you'll be hearing how much he will become a free agent to sign with LAL.

So no Millsap, no PG, no future assets - too rich for my blood.

4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

1.  Al Horford

2.  PG will probably getting a max contract even if he sits out the year.   The nba has changed.  

3. Indy with PG exited first round this year.   Why will the Hawks with PG suddenly contend?

1 . You sure he just isn't really that great? lol

2 . I just don't see an All-star player not trying to win games, it's just backwards to expect.

3. We have a better team than Indy honestly, literally just a better all around group of players around him and better coaching. And we can definitely defend a lot better with our personnel than they can for sure with PG added.

12 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It's both.

If we're rolling with a group of Dennis - Paul - PG13 - Dwight . . and have the kids supplementing that group, I'm definitely down with seeing that for at least one year.  A pretty good defensive team potentially turns into a great defensive team that may have what it takes to battle the Cavs in a playoff series.  If it works, that's great, and maybe he stays in Atlanta for a while.  

If it doesn't, George leaves and we'll have the cap space to fill those spots with cheaper "fit" type players, and give the team completely over to Dennis, Millsap, and hopefully Prince.

But yeah, the main objective would be to get out from under Baze's contract.  If Indiana wants to rebuild ( err, tank ), Baze is the perfect guy to have on your team as a 1st or 2nd option type scorer.  He'll try hard, but won't be good enough to flourish in that role, and the team will lose games.

Okay, against my logic screaming at me not to, you've convinced me to get on board. The worst thing the Pacers could do is say no. If they got PG13, who's to say that Millsap wouldn't at least take pause before getting on a plane to LA, Orlando, or San Antonio? And to jettison Bazemore's contract to boot?

• Like 2

There are too many distractions for an egocentric guy like George here or LA.  Let him go to Cleveland, play out of position, and weaken after being blamed for not getting them over the GS hump.  Can't see how they could afford him but I'm sure GM Bron will find a way.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, kg01 said:

Man, I wish I would've listened.  Of all the days to be on a plane!!

Agree with your view on punk-a**Paul.  The league should just ignore him at this point.  He has no value.  If you trade for him, he'll just try to 'DNP-don't wanna get hurt' all year long.  No way he'll be locked in.  He'll be last year's Har_en effort-wise.

Trading for him now is akin to smoking cigarettes then complaining about the lung cancer.

If I was Indiana (they know they are going to lose him anyway), I'd set dat azz on the bench the whole year and let him watch no matter what and put him in in mop up minutes.  When he refused to go in I would suspend his butt and keep the $$$.   

However you feel about offering that trade, Menace/THJr/PG13/Sap/D8 is very likely another 60-win ECFs team.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

There are too many distractions for an egocentric guy like George here or LA.  Let him go to Cleveland, play out of position, and weaken after being blamed for not getting them over the GS hump.  Can't see how they could afford him but I'm sure GM Bron will find a way.

They have to trade love 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

They have to trade love 

Yeah I kinda figured that but didn't know if their salaries matched up.  Both are on excellent deals considering the crazy times.  I miss the days when you would trade a disgruntled guy (certainly outside of your division) to a bad team just to piss him off.  

I'll never fully understand player transactions but the total lack of mid-season trades for these guys with one foot out the door is puzzling, boring, and is severely hampering competition.  In hindsight I'd much rather Al and Sap been shipped off knowing we can't attract FA worth a damn.  Better than all these guys trying to team up when they get the leverage.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

They have to trade love 

2 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Yeah I kinda figured that but didn't know if their salaries matched up.  Both are on excellent deals considering the crazy times.

Yep, a straight up trade works salary wise.

If I was Indy, that would be a trade to do, then send Love to LAL for picks.  He's another LAL guy.

54 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

If I was Indiana (they know they are going to lose him anyway), I'd set dat azz on the bench the whole year and let him watch no matter what and put him in in mop up minutes.  When he refused to go in I would suspend his butt and keep the $$$.   

Yeah.  They're doing the right thing by trying to salvage what little value he has left via trading him to some thirsty team who thinks they can schmooze him into staying.

I'd ship them Baze and a janky 1st.  Shiiii, why not?  #salarydump