• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Paul George

DrReality

1 minute ago, marco102 said:

They'd want the drafty picks.  Right now PG is damn near untradeable.  You'll have to match Salaries and Baze's salary matches up with Paul's.

True. I think there's teams out there that are bold that can offer better packages. I'm sure a team like Indy would rather not add bad contracts with picks that won't have a chance to be #1.

2 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Then no deal. I don't even really care about Paul George coming here. We can "Rasheed Wallace" him for all I care. I just like any idea that has some other team picking up Baze's contract for the next few seasons. 

ATL isn't going to get cap relief for Baze. Best case, they just going to have to flip him for another bad contract/s of players that could better fit ATL.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

True. I think there's teams out there that are bold that can offer better packages. I'm sure a team like Indy would rather not add bad contracts with picks that won't have a chance to be #1.

If PG is leaving, their tanking.  Taking on Baze's contract won't stop the tank.

If you're getting two first round picks and a reasonable contract (Baze's is reasonable if you consider they won't have any other big free agents), then it's  a very good deal.

If the Hawks get to the finals, who's to say that PG13 won't resign.  I'm all for get a star level player, just for one year. PG13 in Bud's system could be awesome. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, marco102 said:

If PG is leaving, their tanking.  Taking on Baze's contract won't stop the tank.

If you're getting two first round picks and a reasonable contract (Baze's is reasonable if you consider they won't have any other big free agents), then it's  a very good deal.

If the Hawks get to the finals, who's to say that PG13 won't resign.  I'm all for get a star level player, just for one year. PG13 in Bud's system could be awesome. 

They got to resign Teague and Miles who will get raises. Hawks won't go to the Finals with George. Need more than that to beat CLE.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Baze + a few of those late 1st round draft picks we have

On the one hand, I wonder why they would value Baze any more than many here do.

On the other, I say, heck, it sounds like it's going to be an auction, so yeah, might as well put in a bid.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

Hawks won't go to the Finals with George.

I took it as @TheNorthCydeRises more seeing opportunity to get a mulligan on the space Baze's contract is taking on our cap than it was an effort to challenge CLE. But maybe I missed something.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sturt said:

I took it as @TheNorthCydeRises more seeing opportunity to get a mulligan on the space Baze's contract is taking on our cap than it was an effort to challenge CLE. But maybe I missed something.

Me too, I don't think they're getting it. Escape Blaze's contract, then PG13 bolts to Lakers and Hawks are massively freed up with enough money to make some waves. As I always say: If you don't ask, the answer is always no. Make the offer, Colonel!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, hazer said:

Me too, I don't think they're getting it. Escape Blaze's contract, then PG13 bolts to Lakers and Hawks are massively freed up with enough money to make some waves. As I always say: If you don't ask, the answer is always no. Make the offer, Colonel!

That's why insisted Baze be a part of it.  It also gives us a WAYYYYY better chance of beating Cleveland for just one year.  You don't know if LBJ won't slow down a bit.  I just want the Hawks to get a team together that will put up a fight against Cleveland.

2 hours ago, sturt said:

It's both.

If we're rolling with a group of Dennis - Paul - PG13 - Dwight . . and have the kids supplementing that group, I'm definitely down with seeing that for at least one year.  A pretty good defensive team potentially turns into a great defensive team that may have what it takes to battle the Cavs in a playoff series.  If it works, that's great, and maybe he stays in Atlanta for a while.  

If it doesn't, George leaves and we'll have the cap space to fill those spots with cheaper "fit" type players, and give the team completely over to Dennis, Millsap, and hopefully Prince.

But yeah, the main objective would be to get out from under Baze's contract.  If Indiana wants to rebuild ( err, tank ), Baze is the perfect guy to have on your team as a 1st or 2nd option type scorer.  He'll try hard, but won't be good enough to flourish in that role, and the team will lose games.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 4

I do love PG13's game. For me, he's a top 10 talent. Inside, outside and on the defensive side he's excellent. It would be dumb if we didn't listen to the offer.

• Moderators

He will be flippable at the deadline as well. If we aren't seriously contending then someone who is will give value to rent him.  Think of our Korver trade this year but with an actual impact player.

We should definitely be talking if we are otherwise going to basically bring back the band from last year and hope Prince, Dennis, THJr, Baze and Bembry develop.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

I'd only trade for him to get rid of Bazemore's contract. no first rounders either. Just bazemore and a 2nd rounder. PG is going to the Lakers, everyone knows this, so why overpay for a  year rental just to get squashed by the Cavs in the playoffs again?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

How hard is anyone playing for a title when you got a guy dominating the ball who doesn't even want to be here.   

I don't think it'd be smart for him or any player to not try play to their potential in a contract year, the team you're on doesn't matter when you're aiming to get paid. 

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, DS5 said:

No team is giving them a first now, let alone 4 for a year rental. That dude just completely screwed the pacers, but they should have taken our offer during the season. 

The only team I can see trading for him now is Cleveland.

I agree.  I wouldn't just out there with 2 firsts and a starter unless I knew that we could sign him.  I don't think money is going to be motive enough for him to stay.

• Like 2

End result would be the same as we witnessed in the Cavs/Pacers series. He can score but when it comes down to it he will shrink against LeBron when it counts the most. Didn't expect that but we all saw it happen. How does that get us past LeBron in next season's playoffs. Don't want to lose firsts over that and then you know he bolts after the year is done. Almost sounds like the kind of trade the Nets would make. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Flight said:

I don't think it'd be smart for him or any player to not try play to their potential in a contract year, the team you're on doesn't matter when you're aiming to get paid. 

1.  Al Horford

2.  PG will probably getting a max contract even if he sits out the year.   The nba has changed.  

3. Indy with PG exited first round this year.   Why will the Hawks with PG suddenly contend?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

1.  Al Horford

2.  PG will probably getting a max contract even if he sits out the year.   The nba has changed.  

3. Indy with PG exited first round this year.   Why will the Hawks with PG suddenly contend?

Better coach....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

1.  Al Horford

Dennis>Teague

Millsap>anyone they have not named PG13 of course lol 

Bud>Nate

Good thing the Pacers didn't take our rumored offer of up to 4 first round picks at last year's deadline...

Anyways, I am against trading for Paul George even if we are able to dump Bazemore in the process. The main reason is because then we are pretty much forced to resign Paul Millsap to a deal that we will regret. I think our team with PG could potentially make it to the Finals, but I don't see us beating the Warriors and I would actually favor Cleveland in the ECF. Then Paul George bolts in the offseason and we are stuck with an aging Paul Millsap on a massive contract, along with losing a couple of first round picks that we would need to send to IND.

• Like 2