• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

GOODBYE THJ!

JTB

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, cam1218 said:

We aren't paying too much for two shooting guards..

So you are more concerned with how much we're paying that two guard position rather than you are actual ability.  I say that because you said nothing about his ability either way.  So let me hit you with the scenerio... if with all this flexibility, during the season, Klay gets tired of the Warriors and the Warriors get tired of Klay.  To save money, they offer Klay to us for one of our picks...  Do you say... NO Klay.. we have Baze... we can't take on you because of your salary?? 

2 hours ago, Afro said:

If we don't match....that's ANOTHER wasted first round pick. 

Jesus. I love bud, but after his time as GM or whatever I would not be that upset if he was ever fired. 

He DESTROYED this team. All his coaching aside, he's directly responsible for a team that now has to tank and rebuild. Is that really all that different from a coach that just sucks? 

Maybe Bud could have juggled both if he had taken the role years later, but it was such a mistake to give him the keys to everything after one really good season.

Well good for Tim Jr.  Now he can go back to NYC with some REAL spending money. 

New York City requires more than a rookie contract to get into the good Clubs.

As far as our Hawks - we would be insane to match after we already went "all-in" on Baze.  JMHO.

43 minutes ago, DJlaysitup said:

Well good for Tim Jr.  Now he can go back to NYC with some REAL spending money. 

New York City requires more than a rookie contract to get into the good Clubs.

As far as our Hawks - we would be insane to match after we already went "all-in" on Baze.  JMHO.

I agree, but I hate to see THJ exiting as he is just getting started. He will certainly continue to develop and we will miss him. I'd swap Baze for THJ in a blink! Hate that contract.

• Moderators

I'm as antiBaze's contract as they come but why let that dictate anything for THJr?  Not sure why it is relevant.  Either the match is worth it and we should or it isn't and we should pass.  The fact that we have wasted money on Baze's deal shouldn't matter at a time when we aren't going to be trying to sign a real stud.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, AHF said:

I'm as antiBaze's contract as they come but why let that dictate anything for THJr?  Not sure why it is relevant.  Either the match is worth it and we should or it isn't and we should pass.  The fact that we have wasted money on Baze's deal shouldn't matter at a time when we aren't going to be trying to sign a real stud.

And won't be for four years. Which people need to realize. 

I get it. Contract concerns are hard wired into our DNA. But shit. We're gonna be pretty weak for a good little while. 

Do people think we're gonna go from 60 wins and can't sign anyone to 25 wins and a free agent destination? 

Cap space and contracts are slightly irrelevant now outside of the asset argument. These deals will be done by the time were competitive. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

If you won't resign THJr because of the Baze Contract...

Then you won't sign Jimmy Butler, CJ McCollum, Klay Thompson, or any other SG because of the Baze contract. 

Sorry, that's wrongheaded.  Especially when we're in need of Assets.  No FA wants to play for a rebuilding team.  Therefore, a rebuilding team has to collect the assets that it can. 

After reading the last few pages it sounds like some y'all tryna talk yourselves into matching this sheet.

Y'all nuts???

That offer is ... something special.

Forget Baze's contract; THJ is in no way, shape, or form worth that contract.

That wouldn't make him an asset, it'd make him a negative asset ... just like Baze is now.

Hard hard hard hard hard pass.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ATLBob said:

After reading the last few pages it sounds like some y'all tryna talk yourselves into matching this sheet.

Y'all nuts???

That offer is ... something special.

Forget Baze's contract; THJ is in no way, shape, or form worth that contract.

That wouldn't make him an asset, it'd make him a negative asset ... just like Baze is now.

Hard hard hard hard hard pass.

Yes but I believe the bigger question is can THJ be worth his contract?

he developed extremely well this past season...can he continue to develop and reach a high level? ...I think it's very possible which seeing him possibly leaving concerns me. Had he not had a very good individual season and showed little development fans wouldn't have so much doubt.

but the doubt and fear is that THJ lives up to his potential and becomes a scoring machine with someone else. 

HERES THE FEARS OF LETTING THJ WALK:

-he may become a scoring machine 

while he may not offer a lot in other areas, we still need someone that can put the ball in the goal. THJ has shown some real promise that he can do that.

-look at SGs in the upcoming free agency and draft

im not impressed as far as amount of quality SGs in upcoming drafts and free agencies. I believe if we don't match the offer this will simply be hole for more than 3 years at SG spot ! Why waste that time when THJ and Dennis could continue learning each other's game and getting better together as a back court?

-his defense has improved and he is a gym rat

He's  not the best defender by any means but he does give all out effort now on that end . He also stays in the gym like a maniac trying to get better in all areas of the game...not every player does that and I wouldn't be shocked if he was in the gym right now as write this post lol.

let's face it THJ has some very good qualities about himself and it's highly possible he lives up to his contract.

• Like 1

What are we saving the money for? Free agents next year??? Who is gonna sign with us after winning 30 games? On top of that, we already have sizeable contracts ending that will give us wiggle room to sign someone if they want to come here. I'd rather pay Tim a contract that he has earned (the numbers are there) and let him start for us rather than start Baze again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

What are we saving the money for? Free agents next year??? Who is gonna sign with us after winning 30 games? On top of that, we already have sizeable contracts ending that will give us wiggle room to sign someone if they want to come here. I'd rather pay Tim a contract that he has earned (the numbers are there) and let him start for us rather than start Baze again.

Agreed!

i can't say he's necessarily earned 17-19m but I will say he definitely has the ability to live up to the contract. 

You see to me thjs contract is completely based on THJ scoring ability. Dudes scoring ability to put points on the board is high. I can see THJ dropping more points staying right around the same percentages that he was at this past year and as long as he continues to try on defense he will get better.

i say sign him back and trade Baze. Baze wasn't signed all that money based on high potential like THJ , Baze was signed as he was thought to be one of the better 3&D players in this league. Everyone expected Baze to continue doing the same thing. THJ on the other hand...it's highly possible we see a better player over the next few seasons.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

Yep, do we want to win or just save money and collect draft picks like the Braves and suck for 3-5 years?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, swanlee said:

Yep, do we want to win or just save money and collect draft picks like the Braves and suck for 3-5 years?

Do you seriously think this team will win 50 games in the next 2-3 years? They are going to suck.  Embrace it.  So to further exacerbate the reason we're in the situation we're in, let's just match a contract that is league-wide making people scratch their heads in disbelief. 

Smart teams don't give out stupid contracts and soon as the ink was dry on Baze's contract we were screwed.  Flexibility doesn't mean we don't try to get better players but overpaying for THjr is irresponsible.  Using the Braves as an example is not good either. Whether it pays off or not they have the best farm system in baseball and have a passable MLB team.  What the Hawks have now is borderline Southern Polytechnic State competitive.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

Biggest reason there's zero chance we match is the trade kicker. He'd be virtually untradeable for 4 years. 

Yeah I thought about that but then I'm thinking hey it's only for 4 years!...every team has at least one bad contract right? We can use the stretch on plumlee and probably could trade Baze to a desperate so called contender team like the Raptors or someone....then Why not let this be our bad contract with THJ if it comes to that.

id rather match and bet on his high scoring potential then not. 

Don't know who else Schlenk lands but have a kinda sinking feeling SG is Baze and Marco at the beginning of the season. By the end of the season it still may be very different from that. Am surely hoping so. 

11 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Don't know who else Schlenk lands but have a kinda sinking feeling SG is Baze and Marco at the beginning of the season. By the end of the season it still may be very different from that. 

Yeah it's highly likely this happens though I have a hard time agreeing with it.

lol not that my opinion matters to Schlenk.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

Biggest reason there's zero chance we match is the trade kicker. He'd be virtually untradeable for 4 years. 

Another interesting tidbit on the THJ JR offer sheet 

I can't see Schlenk accepting this.