• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

GOODBYE THJ!

JTB

24 minutes ago, Flight said:

So since the Pistons traded for Avery can we just offer KCP something more than Dion but less than Tim? 

I think Brooklyn will give him a bigger offer than us, but we might as well try. He's a georgia boy who shot better than THJ last year and plays much better defense. Plus he's a year younger.

• Like 2

Just now, CP61 said:

I think Brooklyn will give him a bigger offer than us, but we might as well try. He's a georgia boy who shot better than THJ last year and plays much better defense. Plus he's a year younger.

Brooklyn won't be able to give him an offer until after Weds.  I read a story that Washington is pissed with them for the way Brooklyn structured  Otto Porters contract so they will wait until the last minute to do every thing when matching Porters offer sheet.  This will tie up Brooklyn's cap for awhile.

• Admin

Another thing is that he was in a program that develops him in Atlanta ... he is going back to that mess of an organization of NY ... that is not an environment where it will do things to help him further develop

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Brooklyn won't be able to give him an offer until after Weds.  I read a story that Washington is pissed with them for the way Brooklyn structured  Otto Porters contract so they will wait until the last minute to do every thing when matching Porters offer sheet.  This will tie up Brooklyn's cap for awhile.

Good point. Might as well strike now then with a reasonable offer. I'm definitely in the pro tank group, but KCP is the kind of 3 and D player contending teams need and he's only a year older than Dennis and Taurean.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

Agreed.  And honestly, it just points to the fact that the NYK front office don't have a clue what they are doing. 

Exactly cause no offense Mr. Jr, but you aren't $17+ mil material.  I mean, the reason that TH Jr was traded in the first place was because he was getting in scraps with Melo on the court... Now they're bringing him back?  Only makes sense if A) Timmy learned some sort of lesson and now wants back to NYK or B) The moving truck is outside of Melo's house moving him to Houston.

55 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I think this is part of the problem here.  We're all looking at the decision with Baze in mind.  IMO, the only thing that should matter to us is THJr's Potential.   If you believe he has the potential to live up to the contract, then you match.  IF you don't, then you don't.   Baze or our cap should have Nothing to do with it.

For emphasis, let me bring up the past...

Now.. I'm not saying that THJr is Steph Curry but GS took a chance on Curry when he was injured and looked nothing like an allstar and it paid off.  I'm sure that there were some salary cap implications that fans didn't like...

I disagree here. Sometimes you may be willing to pay a player more than you think he's worth on the field - for a lot of reasons. Because he sells you merch, to keep a working group together, because you need one of his strenght desperately, because you just have money to spend or like the Knicks did in this case to distract the former team from matching. 
So if we had more money to spend and not tied that much dollars on Baze (and/or Plumlee) one could think about matching, to keep at least a core of young players already familiar with each other, the coach and the system together and build around them

18 minutes ago, swanlee said:

Wow this is the worst possible move this team could make. A 25 year old star on the rise and we ship him off. Done with this team F them

So are you okay him being the highest pay player on the team with a PO and a Trade Kicker to boot?

I am sorry, I don't see anybody in their right minds will do that.  Believe me, its better for everybody.

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, swanlee said:

Wow this is the worst possible move this team could make. A 25 year old star on the rise and we ship him off. Done with this team F them

Wait, what?  Tell me what star in his mid20s has made the playoffs 2 or more times but has yet to shoot even 33% from the floor in either playoff run?  I'll wait that answer while polishing THJr's "Star" trophy:

spinner-participation-trophies-basketbal

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

After reconsidering everything...

Us matching the Knicks.. may be the best thing we can do.   I preach get the most for your assets.  THJr is only 25.  He's averaging ~15ppg in about 27 mpg.   He works hard.  He has learned our system and he has changed his style of play and become a better defender because our coach told him to do so.   He shot 45.5 from the field and ~36 from three.   He's athletic and could be a star in this league.

Here's why you take him.  See if he pans out of if he's not what we want.  He has a very movable contract if he is not what we want and he has a good contract if he becomes a star.   

With our lack of talent, he will get more minutes, more shots, and probably raise his stock a lot.  Being that we can easily afford him.. especially if we move Crawford or buy him out on the cheap.. I say... Let's match. 

What do you think?

His contract is not very movable. There's a 15% trade kicker, no one is going to pay 15% more for a guy who under-performed to the point that he had to be traded. 

2 minutes ago, DS5 said:

Do we go after KCP now? I'd say 4 years $50 million but doubt that will be enough. 

If we can get him in the building, do it. I suspect that he'll wait for Brooklyn to be done with Otto.

• Like 2

• Admin

13 minutes ago, DS5 said:

Do we go after KCP now? I'd say 4 years $50 million but doubt that will be enough. 

Something reasonable absolutely but he is another guy I wouldn't overpay ... gotta hope Wash does not match Porter first

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Flight said:

So since the Pistons traded for Avery can we just offer KCP something more than Dion but less than Tim? 

Perhaps, but KCP was already making more than Tim coming in ($3.68 mil vs. $2,28 mil), largely due to his being picked 16 spots earlier, and has put in over 200 more NBA starts. He and his reps would likely hold off on signing and keep sniffing around for better contract offers (no offer sheets anymore), assuming that there would be some available.

~lw3

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rd79 said:

I would have liked to see THJ staying on the Hawks. But since Baze isn't a real SF - I'd say he is a SG too - you can't spend $33M per on one position - unless it's a star. That's the reason we didn't keep Jeff.  If we somehow get rid of Baze I would be fine with matching. But two bad contracts - especially at one position? No thanks...

BTW Chess means to think in advance have more than one plan and stay flexible to be able to react to every move. What's your plan if we don't draft studs on PF and C? If that's the only plan it's not even checkers. It's marbles...

Not sure if you play chess or not, but moving back without a clear path forward loses the advantage. You don't move back and hope to find a starting young SG that avg 15pts when you already have one. Our GM has a big decision to make here, the logical choice would be to move Bazemore and Crawford while continuing to solidify our back court and see if our SF (Prince) and PF (collins) work out. 

To spell it out for you without using my consultant speak. 

PG- Dennis

SG - THJ

SF- Prince

PF- Collins

C- trade for Okafor

Make no mistake this is not a perfect roster, but it satisfies two area

- builds a young nucleus with potential, so if we were lucky enough to sell a Free Agent in the future (it will be appealing)

- gives Bud a chance to grow these young core, and use our draft picks to fill any gaps we may have at the Center position or PF slot. 

3 minutes ago, wolvetigers said:

Not sure if you play chess or not, but moving back without a clear path forward loses the advantage. You don't move back and hope to find a starting young SG that avg 15pts when you already have one. Our GM has a big decision to make here, the logical choice would be to move Bazemore and Crawford while continuing to solidify our back court and see if our SF (Prince) and PF (collins) work out. 

To spell it out for you without using my consultant speak. 

PG- Dennis

SG - THJ

SF- Prince

PF- Collins

C- trade for Okafor

Make no mistake this is not a perfect roster, but it satisfies two area

- builds a young nucleus with potential, so if we were lucky enough to sell a Free Agent in the future (it will be appealing)

- gives Bud a chance to grow these young core, and use our draft picks to fill any gaps we may have at the Center position or PF slot. 

This would be the worst defensive time of all time. 

Edited by h4wkfan
  • Like 1