• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta De'Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish

NBASupes

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Not basing the evaluation on one game although that was the biggest game of the season...Hunter was the lead guy and was consistent every game throughout the season... not just in a hand full like Reddish

That was by far Hunters best game. Which shows he shows up in the big moments. I think Hunter has untapped upside and will be great in his role. 

If both Reddish and Hunter reach their upside Reddish will be the better offensive player while Hunter will be the better on ball defender.

Edited by marco102

39 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

When did I say this??? And plus I did root for Bazemore!

On 6/15/2019 at 11:29 PM, Peoriabird said:
On 6/15/2019 at 11:28 PM, marco102 said:

So you'd hope Reddish would fail?

He doesn't need my help

On 6/15/2019 at 11:27 PM, Peoriabird said:
On 6/15/2019 at 11:26 PM, marco102 said:

I'm sure they don't have as much potential, but I see your disdain for Reddish and that's fine.  If he's a Hawk I hope you root for him.

Yep, like everyone roots for Baze

On 6/15/2019 at 11:36 PM, Peoriabird said:

We've just talked our way into thinking that Reddish is someone that he isn't. Just about every Draft expert think that he has serious flaws in his game.

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I am rooting for the guy!  Just because I have some reservation about his ability doesn't mean I'm not rooting for him to succeed!

That's all I was trying to get you to admit in the thread I showed you, but you sometimes have a problem with that when you're trying to make your points.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, marco102 said:

That's all I was trying to get you to admit in the thread I showed you, but you sometimes have a problem with that when you're trying to make your points.

I kinda hard to agree with what's being written about him and all the predictions that he is going to be Tracy Mcgrady or Paul George. 

• Moderators

I loved seeing the Hawks draft Cam at 10.  It made my Friday great seeing how the Hawks draft panned out.  Bruno was extra icing on the cake.  I keep getting the thought in my head that Cam will end up being like Ben Mclemore... Come into the league with a ton of hype that he never lives up to. That's probably just my pessimism creeping in though.

12 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I kinda hard to agree with what's being written about him and all the predictions that he is going to be Tracy Mcgrady or Paul George. 

You shouldn't expect any draft pick to live up to their lofty expectations.  They just use them as comparisons because that's what most casual fans know.  

The one thing that should tell you everything you need to know about Cam is this.  In high school, he didn't play a lick of defense.   In his one year at Duke, even though his offense was terrible, his defense was very good.   No one focused on his defense because of his offensive expectations.  

Defensive effort shows that he's a hard worker in my book.  Also, shows that when he puts  in the work he can make dramatic improvements and by all accounts from his coaches he is a very hard worker.  Travis would not have drafted Cam if he wasn't.  You put that work ethic with his upside and you should get a minimum a very good three and D starter.   PG and all the other comparisons aside. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, marco102 said:

You shouldn't expect any draft pick to live up to their lofty expectations.  They just use them as comparisons because that's what most casual fans know.  

The one thing that should tell you everything you need to know about Cam is this.  In high school, he didn't play a lick of defense.   In his one year at Duke, even though his offense was terrible, his defense was very good.   No one focused on his defense because of his offensive expectations.  

Defensive effort shows that he's a hard worker in my book.  Also, shows that when he puts  in the work he can make dramatic improvements and by all accounts from his coaches he is a very hard worker.  Travis would not have drafted Cam if he wasn't.  You put that work ethic with his upside and you should get a minimum a very good three and D starter.   PG and all the other comparisons aside. 

I'm definitely bullish on his defense!  But I was referring to some thread here that had him start at the 3 from day one and that Hunter was going to Collin's back up at the 4.  The post claimed that he was the perfect 3 so i questioned it because I don't think he is a 3 at all

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, AHF said:

Thecampster has a point.  The team was willing to risk losing Cam.  Flat out.  8 chances another team could take him.  We gambled and won, which was glorious, but I don’t think we would have done that if we viewed him as better than Hunter.  We could have given another asset and kept the 8th pick or traded up to ensure we got him but were ok just hoping he lasted for us.  I am pretty sure Washington will regret passing on him for Rui for a long time.

I don't think they will. Rui has tremendous ceiling for what they do and Cam wouldn't fit what they do. 

Teams like MIN, CHI, and CLE will even if CLE and CHI needed a PG. Cam will be better than anyone on their roster. I obviously don't think MEM, NO and NY will care either. R.J. has potential to be a star as well as Morant. Zion is Zion and Hayes is an very high upside guy that fit what they are doing a lot more than Cam did. Cam fit only two teams in the top 10. One which was a good fit traded their pick to land AD. Atlanta which was a perfect fit had two shots like NO and landed him. 

When this all plays out, I don't want to hear anyone saying well, I didn't know, I just saw the stats, I heard SAS, or something. When this guy plays, everyone will realize oh shit Supes, you were right. 

To be honest, this shouldn't even be hard. His talent is obvious and his fit is seamless. Even an idiot who barely watches us can see there is a fit with us and him. 

I'll repeat - 

Potential: 

Scoring and creating is like Jamal Crawford. Jump shot based. Loves to fade away. Contact resistance but loves drawing fouls type of contact. Needs touches. Excellent feel in space. Sucks in traffic. Set defense is not his friend. A double team is his enemy. Could struggle if he doesn't add the floaters and one foot pull ups that Jamal added with his lack of explosiveness. Really good space dribbler who can go left or right but can only finish with the right. Heavily two feet based jumper, needs space badly. Uses his handle for leverage in space. His whole game and impact is based off of space. Without it, you are looking at a player who can really struggle. In general, his floor on offense is with his skill is 6. As it's pretty useless v. set defense and slower tempo teams and only effective in transition. 6.5 for uptempo teams and 7 with an elite creator on the squad.

With the Hawks it's a 7.5. Elite creator in Trae and uptempo system, 2nd in the NBA last year makes him an ideal fit as space will be had in this system but especially with the PG at hand. Jamal's floor sadly was a 6. His ceiling was a 9 at this style. He was an in space star but not superstar in space. This is the same floor as Ben Simmons who's game is based on open court style out of LSU for scoring and creating. Jamal has become the father of the in space style of play. For Cam to pass him will take some tremendous strides that Jamal made to really be a pure bucket. That said, Cam does have the potential to overtake the father in time.  

Movement skills - This is one of the most critical areas players need to have in my opinion. This is where guys like Jamal (5) struggle at and get stuck to the bench. This also makes some guys stars like Klay Thompson, Rip Hamilton and Reggie Miller. Cam is most comparable to Jodie Meeks. Jodie isn't a versatile movement player. He just does it one way, with straight up great speed. Cam doesn't have that speed but he doesn't have an elite stride which means his stride is faster than most players in movement. A lot of movement guys are two, three, and the great Steph is four prong movement guy but Jodie is one prong as is Cam. Cam just really learned how to move off the ball this year so he is nowhere near Jodie for now but he has a good baseline. Current is a 6.5. Same as Jodie when he entered the NBA and Jodie's current is a 7.5 which is solid and means you can confidently run actions for him. Cam's potential is a 8 at it as he is just better with on ball actions so you will ran the actions more frequently as you have more confidence in him than Jodie on offense. 

Body, size, fluidity, built - T-Mac is his build to me even more so than PG13. He is not as tall as PG but taller than T-Mac. Longer than both players. Where T-Mac and Cam separate themselves from PG is his fluidity. Those two move like guards. PG moves like a SF. Those two move effortless. T-Mac frame going into his 2nd NBA season is similar to Cam's right now. Around 210. Lanky but put together. Great base. 

Clearly T-Mac is a better athlete by a distance and even PG out of Fresno was a better athlete than Cam. PG had a good dunk package, T-Mac was an excellent dunk package and Cam has the Zo Ball dunk package. Cam is an excellent athlete but I don't have him in the class of PG and I really don't have him in the class of T-Mac or close. Cam's stiffness really limits him on ball actions where he is not in space. 

I been saying PG like instincts and impact is possible but I really think he moves better on defense. I think Cam best comparison on that end is Lonzo Ball. 

Why? Both players flash a lot of talent on that end. Both have the similar body dynamics. Both players are kinda stiff but cover ground excellent and have great feet. Both players have a good base for their position and the same stiffness that hurts on them offense really benefits them on defense as they don't fall for fakes and combo moves as easily as most. Add that both have tremendously lighting quick hands, both have potential to be elite perimeter defenders. Both showed flashes of this at college but at UCLA really didn't see Ball being an elite perimeter defender or coming close but the tape looked good. I feel the same way about Cam. Ball defensive floor was a 7. Cam is a 7 as well. Ball potential at that time I had was a 8.5 but now it's a 10. Ball has a chance to be the best defensive player in the NBA. His improvements on that end from college really changed how I view him. For Cam, he needs to make the same improvements Ball made of course but 10 is his potential. 

Defense is where Cam has the best potential in my eyes regardless of where he plays. It's his offense that could make or break him. Space based players struggle more than any other style initially because they usually go to the wrong types of teams. Jamal went to a team where they sucked and were 27th in pace. Of the different offensive types, movement guys seem to be the most effective in my opinion. They translate the best to the NBA. It's just that NBA teams struggle at finding out which ones have NBA talent and which ones don't. 

• Like 2

hace 5 horas, NBASupes dijo:

Hunter's first game in SL review: https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/07/11/virginia-basketball-breakdown-of-deandre-hunters-summer-league-debut/2/

Note: SL is not the setting a player like Hunter would flourish in. 

Good read, not really concerned about Hunter yet but I would be more happy if he would have performed well. Summer league means nothing but we would be excited if Hunter would have played at NAW level.

I think he has some questionmarks, I hope that playing with good passers and at NBA rythm he can show what he prrsumably has.

2 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Good read, not really concerned about Hunter yet but I would be more happy if he would have performed well. Summer league means nothing but we would be excited if Hunter would have played at NAW level.

I think he has some questionmarks, I hope that playing with good passers and at NBA rythm he can show what he prrsumably has.

SL fits a certain style of play which we knew DAH didn't have. Not worried about it. Like so many guys, he will have to adjust. UVA was all about efficiency and exploiting matchups. Their defense was done differently. Like all UVA players, Hunter will take sometime to adjust but like we saw with Mikal Bridges from Nova, he will sooner than later. 

I did like that he wasn't as down. He played with passion and I liked that he made good reads which will be more important in the NBA than in SL

Wondering?  We know that Reddish played while injured all last season.  Will he be 100% healthy by pre season?  He has had surgery to correct one injury.  He had broken ribs also.

We all have so much expectations for our three draft picks.  Will we be patient with them or will we explode with dis-satisfaction with all of them when they don't all three play like all stars early in season one of their career??

(How about them Braves!)

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Wondering?  We know that Reddish played while injured all last season.  Will he be 100% healthy by pre season?  He has had surgery to correct one injury.  He had broken ribs also.

We all have so much expectations for our three draft picks.  Will we be patient with them or will we explode with dis-satisfaction with all of them when they don't all three play like all stars early in season one of their career??

(How about them Braves!)

He fix the rib issue in college. The groin one was the one that was lingering

• Like 1

After hearing both, they believe that both De`Andre and Cam are high IQ players who should fit well with the Hawks.  Well built for the NBA, both tall with a long reach bringing some good defense. 

Both players able to score with Cam being more versatile on offense.  They both should have meaningful minutes their first year in the NBA.

So much yet to learn for all three of our draft picks.  They all seem to be able to absorb all the necessary little things that they must know and do.  Learning to play NBA ball, both offense and defense without fouling out is something that all rookies must face in their first few months. 

I have read widely separated ideas about all three.  No one thinks that all three will be flops.  No one believes they will all become all stars.  But, dang it.  Some believe they will be great and some believe all were taken much too high in the draft, thinking there were others who would be much better for the Hawks.

I trust our GM and his scouts.  They seem to know what they are doing.  History says that they do.  I can't argue with their success so far.

:luv:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1