• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ask Supes

NBASupes

Guess that is why trusting sportswriters requires so much salt. More than one source had said the Hawk's talks for Drummond were done and the Hawks had moved on. Personally I would be very ok with those Drummond trade talks being over and with no deal. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Guess that is why trusting sportswriters requires so much salt. More than one source had said the Hawk's talks for Drummond were done and the Hawks had moved on. Personally I would be very ok with those Drummond trade talks being over and with no deal. 

What, you have a problem paying a guy $30mil per year even though he probably can't finish close games on the court?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

A brief break for comedy ....

.. this is from HOU's board http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/shams-hawks-interested-in-capela.303506/page-10

("clutch" fans? really?)

So, to recap, Collins is a backup, he's a "knucklehead", probably gonna get banned for life.

And, if that's not enough, guy wants to trade Hunter, Reddish (yes, that's and not or), plus a 1st ... for Clint freaking Capela?

Joaquin-Phoenix_OMG.gif

Do we sound like this to opposing fans?

He said he would be generous enough to add a 1st, not ask for one of ours. Schlenk should have had that deal done yesterday!

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I am very much looking forward to summer league this year. Here's to hoping Humter works on his handles and rotation awareness. Summer league this year should feature Goodwin, redfish, hunter, fernando, 2 firsts.

I hope the NBA fix the whole 'draft trade thing.' Hunter missed SL since the trade couldn't be concluded until later.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member

The Hawks have several expiring contracts, several young players and all of their draft capital, which could make Atlanta one of the most intriguing teams to watch as the Feb. 6 trade deadline approaches.

What we know about Schlenk is he’s not going to make any move just to say he made a trade to satisfy a fan base that wants an improved roster as soon as possible. He could have done that last year at the deadline when Prince, Dewayne Dedmon and Jeremy Lin were available. None of those players ultimately was traded before the deadline. 

Atlanta is 5-5 in its past 10 games and has been playing much better lately, but the team is still expected to remain patient at the deadline and not make a panicked trade to get out of the Eastern Conference cellar, something that was discussed a few weeks ago when Andre Drummond was mentioned as a possible target.

The untouchables

Trae Young ($6.3 million):

Young is the first Hawks player to be voted in as an All-Star starter since Dikembe Mutombo in 1998. The Hawks went more than two decades without having an All-Star starter voted in. Young is a star, and the Hawks are going to build around him for the years to come. 

Own first-round pick:

It’s possible the Hawks could end up trading their own first-round draft pick this summer, but they would not include that selection in a deal at the deadline without knowing where that pick will be before the lottery occurs in May.

Also untouchable, but not for talent reasons:

Vince Carter ($1.6 million)

No, the Hawks would not trade Carter to any team unless the 43-year-old requested a move. Carter doesn’t have much on-court value anymore anyway and wouldn’t make sense for any team to acquire.

Could move if a superstar would be in return

Kevin Huerter ($2.6 million)

The main questions that need to be answered during the rest of the season are what, exactly, Huerter’s value is and where he fits in best with this team. Is he actually the starting shooting guard of the future, or does he project as the team’s sixth man? Out of the current six core members, Huerter would be the most likely to be dealt if a move for a star needed to be made.

De’Andre Hunter ($7.1 million)

Hunter is a better shooter than he has shown so far in his career. His defense has been fine, but Reddish has been better on that end of the floor. It’s early, but it looks like the Hawks gave up too much capital to move up to No. 4 to draft him, but they have to be committed and give him time to show what he can be. Like Reddish, he does have the potential to be a legit two-way player.

Cam Reddish ($4.3 million)

What a turnaround it was for Reddish in January. He ended up shooting 40 percent from 3 and looked much more confident on offense. He looked like a totally different player on offense from what he was in his first three months in the NBA. His game is clearly maturing, which is massive for the Hawks and their outlook.

Reddish is already a good defensive player, and if he’s the kind of player on offense he showed during January, the Hawks have the makings of a legitimate two-way threat, which is exactly what they need.

John Collins ($2.7 million)

Collins has elevated his game on defense, which, as with Reddish, is massively important for the Hawks. Collins is playing out of position as a center, in my opinion. He’s fine playing there against smaller lineups, but he shouldn’t be there nightly. His defense is clearly better than it was last season. His 3-point shooting has taken a dip from last season, but he’s still enough of a threat to be a spacing big man. Collins is still a 20-10 machine, and now that he’s legitimately good on defense, he has to be listed as the second-most-important player for the Hawks.

The expiring contracts that could help facilitate a trade for a marquee player

Evan Turner ($18.6 million)

Jeff Teague ($19 million)

Teague has played almost half his minutes alongside Young, and it hasn’t been a role he has looked all that comfortable in. He told The Athletic in Toronto earlier this week that part of the reason he has struggled so far is the adjustment to his new role. “I’m a point guard. I’m comfortable with the ball in my hands,” Teague said. “I don’t have a problem playing off the ball. It’s difficult, but it’s different.

Maybe these players have a future with the Hawks

Alex Len ($4.2 million)

After being moved to the bench, Len has played well on both ends of the floor and certainly has the most value out of all the expiring contracts. If Len is not traded, the Hawks could decide to bring him back this summer. 

DeAndre’ Bembry ($2.6 million)

Bembry doesn’t perfectly fit with how the Hawks want to play — he’s a wing who can’t shoot — but he theoretically has value because of his effort on defense.

The Hawks likely will let Bembry test free agency this summer if he’s not traded.

Jabari Parker ($6.5 million) 

Those few weeks when it looked like a lock that Parker would opt out of his player option this summer because of his level of offense seem like they happened in a different season. Parker has missed 16 of the past 17 games with a shoulder injury.....When healthy, Parker could give a playoff team more scoring off the bench and a player who is efficient in pushing the pace and getting to the rim with efficiency. 

Brooklyn’s lottery-protected first-round pick

The Hawks are not opposed to moving this pick, especially if it can bring back a high-level player who can help for the rest of this season and beyond. 

Salary filler

Treveon Graham ($1.6 million)

Damian Jones ($2.3 million)

Bruno Fernando ($1.4 million)

Fernando doesn’t necessarily fit in any of these tiers. He’s kind of in a category on his own, but because of his salary, he would have to be included in the salary-filler tier. He doesn’t fit under the core six players just yet, but his value has certainly grown the past few weeks. The first couple of months of the season it was clear that he was nowhere near making any sort of meaningful impact, but he was better in January.

Would trade for bags of balls totaling $25 million, if they could

Chandler Parsons ($25.1 million)

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, kg01 said:

A brief break for comedy ....

.. this is from HOU's board http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/shams-hawks-interested-in-capela.303506/page-10

("clutch" fans? really?)

So, to recap, Collins is a backup, he's a "knucklehead", probably gonna get banned for life.

And, if that's not enough, guy wants to trade Hunter, Reddish (yes, that's and not or), plus a 1st ... for Clint freaking Capela?

Joaquin-Phoenix_OMG.gif

Do we sound like this to opposing fans?

Yes we do sound as dumb as this at times, not all posters but some. I can pull up many posts from here that are patently absurd, that would be roundly rejected by basically any objective NBA fan, that were accepted as reasonable on this board. I can list a few for you if you want to hear them. Homerism is a disease, a disease of the mind. 

Edited by bleachkit

39 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Yes we do sound as dumb as this at times, not all posters but some. I can pull up many posts from here that are patently absurd, that would be roundly rejected by basically any objective NBA fan, that were accepted as reasonable on this board. I can list a few for you if you want to hear them. Homerism is a disease, a disease of the mind. 

That's not true, that's just your weird narrative against us.

You seriously think we're this unaware:

Collins can't defend at all and outside of catching lobs and competing on the glass is actually very limited. Roxs would be crazy to give up Capela for him.

Rockets fans have a rep for being extreme homers.

• Like 1