• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Half the season behind us, what FA targets are you most hoping on Schlenk's radar?

sturt

16 minutes ago, JTB said:

I think they’ll do it no problem and it could all work with Harrell but is LP smart enough with his rotations and game planning to utilize a rotation of Collins, Harrell, Capela, Dedmon? ....shouldn’t be too hard but Harrell and capela sharing the court really does no good for LPs offense (for long minutes on the floor anyways )

what a dream would be getting Harrell and bertans! But I know we won’t get that lucky 

Harrell is 18 to 20 per, Bertans is 13 to 15 per. We have the cash but the length of the deals will be a big point of negotiation, that's where we might get out bid.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Harrell is 18 to 20 per, Bertans is 13 to 15 per. We have the cash but the length of the deals will be a big point of negotiation, that's where we might get out bid.

It wouldn’t shock me if bertans commands around 18mil per season....he’s shooting lights out so far on high volume and teams are desperate to space the floor with good shooters.

not saying he will get that but there’s always at least one desperate team that will pay anything to get a player they want good or bad deal 

Edited by JTB

47 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

The benefit with Harrell is he is going to the highest bidder and no one is willing to compete with us. 

Bertrans BR is owned by Washington and they want to resign him long term as he is a part of their core.

56 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Thanks for clarifying this.  I keep trying to tell people Edwards shouldn't be our target.  He's a net negative player imho.  And, at best, he's 2-3 years away from actually contributing to winning.

I love Edwards but we are a poor fit, so is Golden State. Honestly, I wish Edwards could go to Charlotte, Sacramento or Memphis. Those are excellent situations for him. He would be a backup for all three teams. None have a SG of the future that wants to be there and he would be cast correctly.

Atlanta has Cam and Kevin. 

Golden State has Klay and Poole and even if you don't think much of Poole, he fits and he is fast improving like Cam.

Golden State system doesn't work for Edwards and Trae and Edwards is a defensive nightmare. 

For us, we just need another highly talented PG. Hayes, Ball, Haliburton, and Anthony. I am all in. There is no wings in this top 15 that fits. Jaden McDaniels don't fit our system and Okoro fits but his shooting sucks. He would need time. There just aren't many wings. Last year wasn't great as well. It was mainly just Cam and Hunter who did fit.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

We need to sign Montrezl Harrell

2. By the WAR, he would be our 2nd best active player who's played a game for us, Collins is #2 at this time. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-nba-player-ratings/

3. He's a beast, full of energy like Dedmon. 

5. His defense is really good. He will fit perfectly next to Capela. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

I'd put that pick on the market but if a good situation to trade it doesn't emerge, I'm starting to get a feeling about Tyrese Haliburton. Have for the past few times I've thought about the draft and I watched some video of him playing today, he looks nice outside of that 3 point shot that looks odd. 

I would however have some concern about not carrying a veteran PG, but with Young going into year 3 that should be fine...who knows.

Really can't trade the pick just to trade the pick but I'd market it and see what's available. 

I don't understand the logic in signing Harrell at all. John has improved on defense. He's not where we need him to be, but he's in his 3rd season and he hasn't ever played on a winning team. We need better vets if the objective is to actually win games. I'm not sure how much we are willing to spend this off-season versus waiting to see what 2021 will have to offer, but if we're trying to make the playoffs next year getting a shooter at backup PF like Gallinari or Bertrans or even Millsap is our best bet. Personally I'd like to see us draft Anthony Edwards but I recognize that's not necessarily what's gonna make the Hawks a better team. If not Edwards, a PG is preferable. Trading back and taking Haliburton or Hayes would probably be where I'd go. Hopefully a trade comes up though where we can send that pick.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

I don't understand the logic in signing Harrell at all. John has improved on defense. He's not where we need him to be, but he's in his 3rd season and he hasn't ever played on a winning team. We need better vets if the objective is to actually win games. I'm not sure how much we are willing to spend this off-season versus waiting to see what 2021 will have to offer, but if we're trying to make the playoffs next year getting a shooter at backup PF like Gallinari or Bertrans or even Millsap is our best bet. Personally I'd like to see us draft Anthony Edwards but I recognize that's not necessarily what's gonna make the Hawks a better team. If not Edwards, a PG is preferable. Trading back and taking Haliburton or Hayes would probably be where I'd go. Hopefully a trade comes up though where we can send that pick.

On Harrell, I absolutely hear you.  But, for me, we'd be paying for the energy/effort which is something we've been sorely lacking.

Collins actually hasn't improved much on defense other than actually challenging shots, which doesn't necessarily equate to "better defense".  Now that we're trying to win, it's glaring how green he still is.

I think we can get the backup PF you mention in addition to signing a guy like Harrell.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

On Harrell, I absolutely hear you.  But, for me, we'd be paying for the energy/effort which is something we've been sorely lacking.

Collins actually hasn't improved much on defense other than actually challenging shots, which doesn't necessarily equate to "better defense".  Now that we're trying to win, it's glaring how green he still is.

I think we can get the backup PF you mention in addition to signing a guy like Harrell.

And trade Collins? He's not the problem on this team. To be fair he's not the solution either, but thee problem is the expectation that you can put anybody next to Trae, Kevin, Cam and Hunter and expect to field a good defense. They aren't good enough defensively on a consistent basis for the results to be any better. Collins gives us plenty of energy and effort. The problem is that opponents have an easy time beating our guards and getting to the rim. That's not gonna change with Capela and Dedmon, we'll just have better rim protection. If we want immediate results, starting Cam and separating Kev and Trae's minutes is the quickest fix. But even then it's a work in progress.

I just don't see how Harrell would have been any better when at the end of the day, half this roster couldn't defend. By design.

32 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I'd put that pick on the market but if a good situation to trade it doesn't emerge, I'm starting to get a feeling about Tyrese Haliburton. Have for the past few times I've thought about the draft and I watched some video of him playing today, he looks nice outside of that 3 point shot that looks odd. 

I would however have some concern about not carrying a veteran PG, but with Young going into year 3 that should be fine...who knows.

Really can't trade the pick just to trade the pick but I'd market it and see what's available. 

Hayes and Haliburton would really do wonders for us. Also both would smoothly transition as backups more than Ball and Anthony. 

6 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

And trade Collins? He's not the problem on this team. To be fair he's not the solution either, but thee problem is the expectation that you can put anybody next to Trae, Kevin, Cam and Hunter and expect to field a good defense. They aren't good enough defensively on a consistent basis for the results to be any better. Collins gives us plenty of energy and effort. The problem is that opponents have an easy time beating our guards and getting to the rim. That's not gonna change with Capela and Dedmon, we'll just have better rim protection. If we want immediate results, starting Cam and separating Kev and Trae's minutes is the quickest fix. But even then it's a work in progress.

I just don't see how Harrell would have been any better when at the end of the day, half this roster couldn't defend. By design.

Collins is a problem, especially if we are building around Trae.

I would call PHX and see if they would trade Mikal Bridges for John Collins

Harrell is a MASSIVE upgrade over Collins for what we need.

Edited by NBASupes

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Hayes and Haliburton would really do wonders for us. Also both would smoothly transition as backups more than Ball and Anthony. 

I get the bad rap on Ball but scouts everywhere are saying the same things on him. If he fixes that broke ass shot, he could be special; like Luka special.

I like Haliburton better for a team like ours that needs efficient production right now; but I am wary about passing on Anthony, Ball, or Wiseman.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

I get the bad rap on Ball but scouts everywhere are saying the same things on him. If he fixes that broke ass shot, he could be special; like Luka special.

I like Haliburton better for a team like ours that needs efficient production right now; but I am wary about passing on Anthony, Ball, or Wiseman.

Hayes is special too I just question his high end potential but that doesn't matter for us anyway

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Collins is a problem, especially if we are building around Trae.

Collins is not incapable of being a good defender. Replacing him with a better defender won't magically fix our problems. So long as we have Trae and Kevin starting, we'll never be remotely good defensively. Thankfully we have Cam who can start, and Kev can work things out from the bench. This isn't an impossible situation. But again, if we want to look more competitive, we need better vets. If we could get Bazemore or a different vet wing for a cheap deal, get Gallinari/Bertrans/Millsap at backup PF and draft a PG, with the progress you'd expect to see from our core players and the addition of Capela we're a playoff team easy. We've had Damien f'ing Jones starting, we're not gonna win these games.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Collins is not incapable of being a good defender. Replacing him with a better defender won't magically fix our problems. So long as we have Trae and Kevin starting, we'll never be remotely good defensively. Thankfully we have Cam who can start, and Kev can work things out from the bench. This isn't an impossible situation. But again, if we want to look more competitive, we need better vets. If we could get Bazemore or a different vet wing for a cheap deal, get Gallinari/Bertrans/Millsap at backup PF and draft a PG, with the progress you'd expect to see from our core players and the addition of Capela we're a playoff team easy. We've had Damien f'ing Jones starting, we're not gonna win these games.

Yes he is if he's playing PF. He can't defend in space, his arms are short, he doesn't move his feet quick. Watch Capela big ass, his feet move much quicker than John. John don't fit the modern NBA. He gotta be protected like Trae. You can't have two of them, you can have one but not two unless he's a 6th man.

Kevin will probably be coming off the bench sooner than later. Everyone knows Trae and him and turnstiles. 

Trae

Cam

Hunter

Harrell

Capela 

Will be able to switch everything but with Trae who will spot guard and free safety and they fit as well. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

Just now, NBASupes said:

Yes he is if he's playing PF. He can't defend in space, his arms are short, he doesn't move his feet quick. Watch Capela big ass, his feet move much quicker than John. John don't fit the modern NBA. He gotta be protected like Trae. You can't have two of them, you can have one but not two unless he's a 6th man.

John's feet are fine, his problem is that he doesn't anticipate anything defensively (which is worse). He constantly gets beat because he's too reactionary. I admit he keeps making the same mistakes, but that's still not our primary problem defensively. Even Trae's garbage defense isn't the main problem, the problem we have is that we don't communicate properly which leads to opponents constantly getting open shots. At any given possession a team can get an open shot against us due to somebody not being where they should. Which isn't that surprising given the fact that 4 out our 5 starters have 3 or less years of experience and the 5th has been either Len or Jones for the majority of the season. I recognize that we can't afford to carry another bad defender in Collins, but Collins can improve and even if you think he's incapable, Harrell wouldn't be a better fit considering we have Capela.

1 minute ago, nathan2331 said:

John's feet are fine, his problem is that he doesn't anticipate anything defensively (which is worse). He constantly gets beat because he's too reactionary. I admit he keeps making the same mistakes, but that's still not our primary problem defensively. Even Trae's garbage defense isn't the main problem, the problem we have is that we don't communicate properly which leads to opponents constantly getting open shots. At any given possession a team can get an open shot against us due to somebody not being where they should. Which isn't that surprising given the fact that 4 out our 5 starters have 3 or less years of experience and the 5th has been either Len or Jones for the majority of the season. I recognize that we can't afford to carry another bad defender in Collins, but Collins can improve and even if you think he's incapable, Harrell wouldn't be a better fit considering we have Capela.

No it's not, stop lying. His feet are trash. Ersan was taking John off the dribble. Who was TT bust on? Collins. Collins don't move laterally well. He a runner and a jumper. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I would hope, I doubt it though 

I like Mikal but he screams "role player" from the top of his lungs.  He scores efficiently because he takes low volume, high % shots.  That is what  you want from a role player.  If you trade JC, you better be getting a legit starter as a baseline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2