• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Half the season behind us, what FA targets are you most hoping on Schlenk's radar?

sturt

• Premium Member

"Interested?"

At this stage, I think that word fits, and the real "fake news" would be that they're not interested in, ostensibly, Wiseman. They're "interested" in everything for the moment. But the smart money, of course, is on a PG. And this isn't a team that shies away from putting two PGs on the floor at the same time.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, sturt said:

"Interested?"

At this stage, I think that word fits, and the real "fake news" would be that they're not interested in, ostensibly, Wiseman. They're "interested" in everything for the moment. But the smart money, of course, is on a PG. And this isn't a team that shies away from putting two PGs on the floor at the same time.

LaMelo would probably be the exciting pick for a lot of the Hawks fans, but would it be practical? I've been reading about his defensive issues lately..   the Hawks need a big PG, but preferably one that can play defense to run with a 2 PG lineup for spurts

• Like 2

• Premium Member

This is our current roster:

Trae Young, Jeff Teague (UFA), Brandon Goodwin (2W)

Kevin Huerter, Cam Reddish, Treveon Graham (UFA)

DeAndre Hunter, DeAndre Bembry (RFA)

John Collins, Skal LaB (RFA), Bruno Fernando

Clint Capela, Dewayne Dedmon, Damian Jones (RFA)

What's our biggest need?

Which players (UFA/RFA) should we bring back?

Who should we target in the draft based on this roster? BPA or position based?

• Like 3

P

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is our current roster:

Trae Young, Jeff Teague (UFA), Brandon Goodwin (2W)

Kevin Huerter, Cam Reddish, Treveon Graham (UFA)

DeAndre Hunter, DeAndre Bembry (RFA)

John Collins, Skal LaB (RFA), Bruno Fernando

Clint Capela, Dewayne Dedmon, Damian Jones (RFA)

What's our biggest need?

Which players (UFA/RFA) should we bring back?

Who should we target in the draft based on this roster? BPA or position based?

BPA in the draft....Vet PG/SG/SF in FA..

• Like 3

I think Schlenk is going to chase a shooter, backup point guard ( Teague? ), and backup power forward who could also be a shooter. He may lock one of them up long term but I think AHF has one option in mind for overpaying on one year contracts. And then chase 2021 free agents.

The other option is Schlenk does not see Atlanta as a viable destination for major 2021 free agent players. If so, getting a few really good role players in this years class could be his play. The benefit of this option is we are one of the few teams that can offer long term security and would hopefully not have to overpay. And trades are always a quality option if we have quality players.

LP's offense also drives me nuts because it is so dependent on threes. If we want to compete, we need dead eye shooters on the bench to maintain some semblance of efficiency. It is going to be interesting to see if Schlenk thinks enough of his picks/players to use his cap on role players or if he thinks 2021 is the free agent goal.

I honestly do not know but his first signing should give us a clue.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, turnermx said:

LaMelo would probably be the exciting pick for a lot of the Hawks fans, but would it be practical? I've been reading about his defensive issues lately..   the Hawks need a big PG, but preferably one that can play defense to run with a 2 PG lineup for spurts

Lamelo is as "big" as they come. He's like 6´7 

Edited by Atlantaholic
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

I called this on January 16th in the draft forum.  The big question is whether his broke ass shot can be fixed.  

I don't think it's ducktales the Hawks will draft him. Just that the report is ducktales. Atlanta is still reviewing all of the prospects 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

My current depth chart vision:

2020-02-10_1607.png

This presumes (1) we draft high enough to get Haliburton--not exactly a given, of course... (2) that Eriksson would have an opt-out, though I realize that flies in the face of Supes' tweet exchange... (3) that Ingram wouldn't get a max offer from NOP... (4) that Bender would be signed now or shortly, with us picking up his minimum non-guaranteed contract for next season... (5) and that Millsap would be interested in coming back.

I think this covers all our bases really well.

You've got a budding big 3 with Trae, Ingram and JC, and some other young high-ceiling assets, and a couple of solid productivity vets as a base.

I imagine this to be a roster that easily gets to the playoffs in 2021, and that matures into a top tier contender in 2022 with the projected addition of another major talent/contract from the 2021 free agent crop.

EDIT: Might be ever-so-slightly easier to pick-up Halliburton suddenly...

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/02/top-prospect-tyrese-haliburton-done-for-season.html

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, sturt said:

My current depth chart vision:

2020-02-10_1607.png

This presumes (1) we draft high enough to get Haliburton--not exactly a given, of course... (2) that Eriksson would have an opt-out, though I realize that flies in the face of Supes' tweet exchange... (3) that Ingram wouldn't get a max offer from NOP... (4) that Bender would be signed now or shortly, with us picking up his minimum non-guaranteed contract for next season... (5) and that Millsap would be interested in coming back.

I think this covers all our bases really well.

You've got a budding big 3 with Trae, Ingram and JC, and some other young high-ceiling assets, and a couple of solid productivity vets as a base.

I imagine this to be a roster that easily gets to the playoffs in 2021, and that matures into a top tier contender in 2022 with the projected addition of another major talent/contract from the 2021 free agent crop.

EDIT: Might be ever-so-slightly easier to pick-up Halliburton suddenly...

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/02/top-prospect-tyrese-haliburton-done-for-season.html

I wILL be shocked if the Pelicans do not pay Ingram. So far he has been the best player they got for AD. If they lose him, there is no winning that trade. It will not even be close.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I wILL be shocked if the Pelicans do not pay Ingram. So far he has been the best player they got for AD. If they lose him, there is no winning that trade. It will not even be close.

I, too, will be shocked. That said, it is at least plausible that it becomes an Al Horford-like situation, with us in the BOS role, given their salary cap situation. Barring some significant injury, I feel like we'll make a max 4 year offer and let the chips fall where they may.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

We need Harrell. We need more toughness outside of Dedmon

That's where I was about a week ago, but I've talked myself out of him b/c he doesn't have the range of skill that I think Schlenk looks for, and in his place, I've talked myself into Sap being a plausible option.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

True or nah? I’m thinking fake news 

I'm not really ashamed to say I support this.  Lamelo has awesome vision and can play along side Trae with his size.  He just has a ton to work on (his shot and defense), but as backup point guard for the second unit, sign me up!

Also, sign me up for the Anchorman's return to the ATL.  That would give the Hawks three solid vets who can contribute Sap, Dedmon, Teague and still leave minutes for the young guys to develop winning habits.

Who I want in the draft? 

1. Edwards

2. LaMelo

3. Killian Hayes

4. Wiseman

5. Haliburton

Edited by marco102
  • Like 2