• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020-21 The Current Ask Supes

Gray Mule

• Premium Member

To the general conversation about trading deadline and roster movement...

Comes down to what's the goal(?).

(A) To get to the expanded (#7-#10) playoffs?

Stand pat.

(B) To get to the real playoffs?

Probably can stand pat, but upon Dunn's return, give some serious consideration to dropping the 4th PG on the roster (Goodwin), in favor of some veteran big who only costs a vet minimum salary.

We've only had 5 legitimate bigs on the 15-man all season, and conventionally speaking, you should have 6.

Right now, you have only one true, reliable, playoff-caliber center on the roster. Beyond him, you have three centers (one of them a two-way who probably profiles better as a PF, truth be told) with less than 82 games experience, and two PFs who can take some occasional minutes there, though you really don't want to do that any more than you have to.

Meanwhile, you've got 4 PGs plus a two-way PG. Only 2 of those normally would get much time ordinarily, but the GM has been explicit in saying that a 3rd (Dunn) will be a candidate to get some floor time as a SG.

You've got 6 wings, in addition to part-timer Dunn, and most of those have been starters or part-time starters for much of their careers. Rotation-wise only 4 of those should expect to be part of the regular rotation, with at most a cameo appearance at times by a 5th (particularly given part-timer Dunn's presence).

(C) To get to the real playoffs and win a series?

Can't stand pat. Playoff ball demands that you have some stronger, reliable rim defense, and not just from the starters.

Conclusion?

Me, I'm not sure which one of the three is the true goal. The GM's actions or lack thereof on or before March 25 will certainly send a strong message.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, thecampster said:

They got him to work with the 1st unit, not second.  18 mil is a lot to spend for a bench wing.  He has a slower game than Trae, Collins, Capela. Much like Joe Johnson, the ball slows down when it hits BB's hands. The first unit falls out of sets.  There were 2 catch at shoots last night with BB and Trae which is exactly the kind of curl off screen, run the baseline to the corner player they need off of Trae's game. This isn't natural for BB. He executed it, but he's much better at "the offense is breaking down, lemme go get you a bucket" kind of an offense.  BB on the floor will take the ball out of Trae's hands in order for BB to be effective. BB+Rondo+Gallo is a great fit as all 3 love to run set plays, iso kickouts. But those 3 on the floor together is $45 million or 40% of your cap...on the bench line.

Bogi is younger than Gallo and Rondo though so I wonder if it’s smarter to hold on to him as a 6th man in the future ??

If this team makes the ECF not saying they will but if they did that would probably convince Ressler to pay the luxury tax and keep this team together. The only reason we are speaking about possibly moving anyone is to avoid the tax not because they can’t necessarily keep this team together.

I understand it’s all a business I just wish we can see what this team can truly do once healthy before any major moves are made.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I’ve never wanted to stand pat more like this year. I love our 1-12 or 15.

Bruno is the only player I'd like to see moved. I think that spot would be better filled by a vet big.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

Bruno is the only player I'd like to see moved. I think that spot would be better filled by a vet big.

Yes please. Possibly also Goodwin, but that kid worked his tail off and he’s just not getting any run because Rondo is just...well Rondo.

6 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

At this stage, our best bet is probably to keep the team together. Let's see how the finish the season, but we aren't ever going to see a Durant, Lebron or Giannis walk through the door in Free Agency, so if our goal is to win a championship it's very possible this Young, Hunter, Collins, Capella core is the best chance we are ever gonna get. What people forget about Collins is that he's still a baby... just 23 years old and still not anywhere near his prime. Whether he continues to improve is not a sure thing of course but at his age it's certainly a possibility. 

agreed the team when healthy doesn’t have any holes or holes that we thought we had are being answered. Nathan Knight is a huge nice surprise.

• Like 4

Small Update: 

There will be a number of moves made. It's highly unlikely the Hawks are involved unless their price tags are being met. 

Expect Oladipo, DeRozan, A. Gordon, and Kyle Lowry to be moved. 

Price is Right only guys: Norman Powell, JC, and Lonzo Ball. Otherwise expect them to stay with their teams. 

Pay salt to trade ideas with Kevin or Cam in it. 

While Atlanta has been talking to NO about trades. He confirmed the only one where they made progress is: Tony Snell has been mentioned a lot. There has been some serious talk about Snell and minor pieces (Brandon or Bruno) being traded for Bledsoe. There is also interest in J.J. Redick as well. He mentioned, other have mentioned Zo and Reddish to him but no one from Atlanta side or from NO side has mentioned any offer from Atlanta for Ball. LAC and CHI have made offers but NO is locked in to what they are looking for if they are moving Ball. Cam will appeal to NO if offered which is seemingly what NO might be trying to drum up with no real interest from Atlanta side. He said, teams are pretty far from what NO is looking for in return for a Ball trade. He doesn't think Ball will be moved. 

Rondo name has disappeared from all talks. 

Bogi name in talks is hilarious. The offers are beyond disgusting. 

Tony Snell seems to be the one player who could be moved who has positive value. Brandon and Bruno do not have positive value. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Small Update: 

There will be a number of moves made. It's highly unlikely the Hawks are involved unless their price tags are being met. 

Price is Right only guys: Norman Powell, JC, and Lonzo Ball. Otherwise expect them to stay with their teams. 

While Atlanta has been talking to NO about trades. He confirmed the only one where they made progress is: Tony Snell has been mentioned a lot. There has been some serious talk about Snell and minor pieces (Brandon or Bruno) being traded for Bledsoe. There is also interest in J.J. Redick as well. He mentioned, other have mentioned Zo and Reddish to him but no one from Atlanta side or from NO side has mentioned any offer from Atlanta for Ball. LAC and CHI have made offers but NO is locked in to what they are looking for if they are moving Ball. Cam will appeal to NO if offered which is seemingly what NO might be trying to drum up with no real interest from Atlanta side. He said, teams are pretty far from what NO is looking for in return for a Ball trade. He doesn't think Ball will be moved. 

Tony Snell seems to be the one player who could be moved who has positive value. Brandon and Bruno do not have positive value. 

I floated dropping a player and signing Cousins a few weeks ago. Cousins is not one of the names mentioned but talk of moving Bruno for a 2nd rounder does have substance in order to open up a roster spot. I don't have anything substantial on the names.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I floated dropping a player and signing Cousins a few weeks ago. Cousins is not one of the names mentioned but talk of moving Bruno for a 2nd rounder does have substance in order to open up a roster spot. I don't have anything substantial on the names.

I asked about Bruno and he keeps saying there is no interest on the open market. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Small Update: 

This right here is what makes sense.   Snell for bledsoe is interesting but adds future salary.  JJ is officially old as heck for an nba player and shooting 20 points under what Snell is.  

When it comes down to it.   We're in good shape.  We don't need anything really. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, thecampster said:

17 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I asked about Bruno and he keeps saying there is no interest on the open market. 

I'd be interested in Cousins.  He'd be great at backup for us.

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

This right here is what makes sense.   Snell for bledsoe is interesting but adds future salary.  JJ is officially old as heck for an nba player and shooting 20 points under what Snell is.  

When it comes down to it.   We're in good shape.  We don't need anything really. 

I'd like to see us pick up Muscala for depth, probably wouldn't cost us much.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

All contenders want to add size and shooting on the wing. Especially if you have a ball handler that draws a lot of attention. Why would we trade Snell, just to find out in the playoffs that we probably need more shooting at the wing position?

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

Ideally, here is what seems the best combination of realistic and best for the Hawks from where I sit...

1) Snell is dealt for a 15-25 1st round pick.

2) LaMarcus Aldridge gets bought out, and ends up coming to ATL to be reconnected with his old coach McMillan.

Both of those are probably on the edge of being too ideal... but not completely outside the realm of possibility.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, sturt said:

Ideally, here is what seems the best combination of realistic and best for the Hawks from where I sit...

1) Snell is dealt for a 15-25 1st round pick.

2) LaMarcus Aldridge gets bought out, and ends up coming to ATL to be reconnected with his old coach McMillan.

Both of those are probably on the edge of being too ideal... but not completely outside the realm of possibility.

Those would be nice, both unlikely though.

58 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I'd be interested in Cousins.  He'd be great at backup for us.

We should try to target a rim running, shot-blocking type of big. I was wondering if we could somehow sign John Henson, seeing as though he's still a free agent.

• Like 2