• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020-21 The Current Ask Supes

Gray Mule

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, sturt said:

Been watching Flynn videos today, and wow, I can hardly believe that TOR would be so eager to part with a kid who's only making $2m, but showed what he did his first year. That seems crazy. I couldn't give away a couple of 2nds fast enough, really.

Ya know. If this were to turn out to be a thing, it would seem to seriously impact how Schlenk is able to approach everything else... I mean, think about it... you solve your #2 PG void, your number one priority, with a $2m rookie contract who has shown he can be a serious offensive catalyst in a LouWill kind-of way? Suddenly, you have a whole lot of latitude in who you might be able to get signed to fill OO's minutes because you can devote all of the MLE to it if necessary. Suddenly, you truly can go into the draft prepared to take the BPA at any position.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@sturt Flynn's highlights certainly look good.  He looks better than what we ran out on the floor last year behind Young.  if it is 2 second round picks for him, the Hawks have that ammo to spend. Bottom line: I would be onboard with this sort of move. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sothron said:

How are you NOT an Ayo guy? Did you miss his games? 

I'd much rather trade down to get him and pickup a future pick, than to pick him at 20. I think he would still be there at 25-28.

• Premium Member

Here's the thing, to my mind. You eagerly take the #20 guy if that's what you have to do, but you'd really prefer to have essentially the same level of talent w/o the risk of not knowing if the guy will be the 1 out of 3 players historically who eventually... eventually, not even necessarily in their rookie season... who become a positive VORP asset.

Would I go so far as to trade #20 straight-up for Flynn? Have to say, yeah, I just might, so if that disturbs you, just be glad I'm not your team's GM. I mean, look, if you knew whoever you took at #20 was going to give you what Flynn turned out to be? Knew. Take that in a heartbeat. The only thing you're sacrificing is that first year of a rookie scale contract. Happy to exchange the one for the other.

Would I think I should be able to get away with a better price, if as @NBASupes has indicated, TOR is a motivated seller? Certainly.

But I'd do them one better than the two 2nds, and give them the OKC protected 1st (which is likely to turn into 2nds anyway, but who knows).

What do I think is fair?

I think fair might be something like #20+#48 for Flynn+#46+#47.

Makes sense for the Cavs to move on from these two ... assuming the report is accurate which, who knows at this point ...

I got no interest in Osman but Nance could be ... something.  Could open the door to some stellar trash talk after dunks.

:Bob: "You got Nance in yo' pants, fool!"

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I always liked Nance but i think it's just because of his dad.   He seems overpaid for what he brings at this point.

Maybe I got blinded by the fact that he's one of these scrubs that always gives the Hawks trouble.

Ok, ok, plan B . UTA has Favors on the block for cap savings.  Whaddoyou say to that, macd?  Big man.  Still sorta skilled.  Not gonna get abused by the mega-bigs.

Whaat?  He's a Georgia Tech guy?  Naww, that has nothing to do with my interest. 😏

• Haha 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Maybe I got blinded by the fact that he's one of these scrubs that always gives the Hawks trouble.

Ok, ok, plan B . UTA has Favors on the block for cap savings.  Whaddoyou say to that, macd?  Big man.  Still sorta skilled.  Not gonna get abused by the mega-bigs.

Whaat?  He's a Georgia Tech guy?  Naww, that has nothing to do with my interest. 😏

I love Favors.  Dude's only 30 so i think he has plenty left in the tank.   He'll be a nice center for when teams throw out guys like taj, portis, pj, howard.    Go jackets

(That's my serious response^.  What i wanted to say was "I bet Matt Harpring in game shape somewhere.  Should we bring him in?")

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Here's the thing, to my mind. You eagerly take the #20 guy if that's what you have to do, but you'd really prefer to have essentially the same level of talent w/o the risk of not knowing if the guy will be the 1 out of 3 players historically who eventually... eventually, not even necessarily in their rookie season... who become a positive VORP asset.

Would I go so far as to trade #20 straight-up for Flynn? Have to say, yeah, I just might, so if that disturbs you, just be glad I'm not your team's GM. I mean, look, if you knew whoever you took at #20 was going to give you what Flynn turned out to be? Knew. Take that in a heartbeat. The only thing you're sacrificing is that first year of a rookie scale contract. Happy to exchange the one for the other.

Would I think I should be able to get away with a better price, if as @NBASupes has indicated, TOR is a motivated seller? Certainly.

But I'd do them one better than the two 2nds, and give them the OKC protected 1st (which is likely to turn into 2nds anyway, but who knows).

What do I think is fair?

I think fair might be something like #20+#48 for Flynn+#46+#47.

I haven't heard anything about Atlanta being willing to move 20. 48, yes but not 20. Also Flynn is only being moved if Toronto can strike a deal for Simmons and Beal. Otherwise, he's not available 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

To no on in particular...

Everyone is allowed their pet cat... a guy not especially highly regarded in the big picture, but someone who they have a hunch is better than being given credit.

And they can have different pet cats.

8 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I'd much rather have Ayo than Flynn. 

I'm moderately sure you voted Ayo for President. 😄

Kidding, I actually like him a bit too.  Wouldn't mind seeing him in the Skill Factory.

And not to rain on your parade @sturt but my source** made a comment about Pangos yesterday.  Identified him specifically as a guy NBA teams have inquired about for years but who's made good money overseas - the implication was that the money he makes is so comparable to what's likely available in the NBA that he has low motivation to make the jump back at his age.  Like Nick Calathas, maybe?

They were discussing UDFA's and how that's not always a bad thing or stte.

** Fran Fraschilla is my source.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

(That's my serious response^.  What i wanted to say was "I bet Matt Harpring in game shape somewhere.  Should we bring him in?")

Now we both know the real Matty-Ice could get buckets in today's NBA.

😏

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, sturt said:

To no on in particular...

Everyone is allowed their pet cat... a guy not especially highly regarded in the big picture, but someone who they have a hunch is better than being given credit.

And they can have different pet cats.

I'm not knocking anyone for having the guy they want or prefer on the team. Just stating my preference. Ayo has star quality and a killer mentality to him on both ends of the court. I think he could be a special talent. If other people don't see those qualities that's fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, sturt said:

catch-bird-in-hand-1.gif    > two in the bush

(But having said that, I remain skeptical that this is really actually plausible. TOR would be idiots to move so much for so little.)

I didn't watch Flynn but one question I have from just seeing his numbers is whether he can shoot?  His numbers were up and down throughout the season which is not unusual but he didn't have a single month that was particularly good shooting.  Had one month with good 3pt% but the rest were garbage and that one month only ended up at 42.9% from the floor overall.  

image.png