• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Mavericks at Hawks

lethalweapon3

2 minutes ago, terrell said:

I hate that stat..lol

It’s definitely not a good stat for a single game, but at the same time, if a guy is +11 in a game where almost everyone else is negative then it’s hard to criticize the decision to play him 26 minutes.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, High5 said:

It’s definitely not a good stat for a single game, but at the same time, if a guy is +11 in a game where almost everyone else is negative then it’s hard to criticize the decision to play him 26 minutes.

In a game where just being neutral on both ends is a positive considering how they were playing Trae scheme wise, it makes sense. But +/- can be a bad stat. Luka had literally the lowest +/- of the starters and he was clearly the best player on the court for both teams. At same time, Capela was our lowest +/- and was our 3rd best player on the night. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Do you have any notable examples of year two players with league worst shooting splits that turned it around and became good players? The historic statistical evidence probably points to it being fairly likely Cam is a bust at this point. He can still turn it around, but based on historical trends of pervious busts, he would be beating the odds. 

If you want a parallel, you'd need to fine a player who had league worst shooting splits for the first half of their rookie year, then good splits the second half, and then regressed for the first 1/4 of their second season.

I'm waiting until the end of this season as a bare minimum before trying to draw on historical parallels particularly when there is a whole Covid overlay to this that limited practice, training under a coach's supervision and game time in a pretty unprecedented way.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, terrell said:

"Get Reddish out of the game"

"Cam is the worst offensive player I’ve ever seen"

They're all over Cam tonight,.,

Cam's shooting is beyond "Midrange Shawty" dreadfulness. It's at a level I honestly never though another NBA player could reach.

The boy is BAD. And please don't get me started with his "spectacular defense".  Josh could also do that every now and then.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I had it in October.  Lost my sense of smell for about 3 weeks and had some allergy symptoms.  The last 6 months have been a whirlwind.  We adopted a baby boy.  I took a new job joining a private practice in Hattiesburg, MS, and we moved there.  

Glad it was relatively mild and big congrats on your new son, job and home!

• Moderators
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

I had it in October.  Lost my sense of smell for about 3 weeks and had some allergy symptoms.  The last 6 months have been a whirlwind.  We adopted a baby boy.  I took a new job joining a private practice in Hattiesburg, MS, and we moved there.  

Wow!  Congrats!

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Congrats!

13 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Congratulations Doc

19 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Congrats on the adoption!  We adopted our son five years ago and are mid-process on our second.  Both international.  Covid has really put a wrench in the current one for our daughter.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twCTU0tx4x8

27 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We actually won.

Porzingis also inbounded the ball himself before passing it to Brunson in the 3rd quarter. It was right in front of the ref. If I knew how to embed that from Youtube , I would. It was that kind of night. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

Cam's shooting is beyond "Midrange Shawty" dreadfulness. It's at a level I honestly never though another NBA player could reach.

The boy is BAD. And please don't get me started with his "spectacular defense".  Josh could also do that every now and then.

This has always been Cams problem. He’s TERRIBLY and AGGRAVATINGLY  inconsistent.

• Like 1

Snell needs to get some of Cam's minutes if he is going to be Ice Cold like he is most games. I love Cam, but literally 2 more buckets could have won us the game.

Also, I dont care what anyone says, if they would have let the defenders go under the screens on Luka, we would have shut them down.

We kept going over, even when we were at a clear disadvantage to do so, and it allowed Luka to get in to the teeth of the defense at the free throw line and pick us apart. Instead of having a 29% 3pt shooter shooting threes, we gave him the mid range for free. And if we stepped up to cut off his drive (because his defender was still behind him) He was able to drop the ball off to the open man without any difficulty.

It was so obviously in the gameplan. I dont like that. I want the defenders to have the freedom to adjust when the opponent catches on to how we are guarding him. Luka was living in the middle of our defense rent free last night.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

And that is just the last two minutes. Let's not forget the early fouls that allowed Dallas to jump out and put Trae in foul trouble.

I have never seen so many ticky tack fouls on one end while they let the opponent beat up a star player on the other. There was unintentional bias going on with those refs last night where they just assumed from jump that we didn't know how to play basketball without fouling.

It was sickening and quite frankly Im tired of just taking it. I really need us to start getting fined by calling out these ref in the press.

This is why when people (even some Squawkers) were fussing at Trae for getting to the freethrow line, I said I don't care because  more often than not we always get the short end of the ref whistle.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I am not sure if maybe our expectations are too high but I don't recall these reactions to losses when we had Smoove, Iso Joe, rookie Al, and Anthony Johnson/Lue at PG.

At the time we were out of the playoffs for 13 seasons IIRC. So those were just common defeats. We were used to them. 

Some people thought Schlenk would work miracles and get us back in the playoff picture by year 2 or 3 of his tenure. Nonsense, obviously. I thought 5, maybe 10 years. I see we have the pieces to be back, but seems to be way harder than most of us think. 

So I'll keep complaining and overreacting (because that's what I do, lol). I want this team to succeed, but I don't think it will with some of the pieces we have right now. Schlenk ruined it with that stupid trade. 

For the record: Iso Joe, young Smoove, young Horford and 2 bad PG/SG would beat our current starting lineup handily, IMHO.