• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021 into 2022 OFFSEASON News and Notes

RandomFan

NBA Free Agents Who Can Put Contenders Over the Top

Reggie Bullock

Three-and-D wings are all the rage, and Reggie Bullock quietly cobbled together the most impressive season of his career.

His capacity to pester top perimeter assignments was mission-critical to the New York Knicks' fourth-ranked defense. Elfrid Payton was the only player on the team to log more reps versus No. 1 options, according to Bball Index, and that's by virtue of starting at point guard. Nobody saw more time covering second options.

Bullock's offensive armory should be comparably attractive to contenders. It is limited but eminently scalable. More than 74 percent of his field-goal attempts came without taking a dribble, and he downed 42.5 percent of his catch-and-fire threes for the year.

Better still, Bullock wasn't merely binging on standstill triples. He shouldn't be tasked with putting the ball on the deck or launching off-the-bounce treys, but he can uncork ultra-deep triples in a hurry. Another team would have him operating in more constant motion, and he showed the ability to prop up more shot volume, having jacked 7.5 threes per game after March 1.

Poaching him from the Knicks won't be easy—or necessarily possible. They only have his Early Bird rights, but they'll be wielding, in all likelihood, league-best cap space. They can shower him with an inflated annual salary to try keeping him on a short-term deal or simply match whatever money the market is throwing at him.

Interested contenders need to hope for a Jae Crowder-type exit circa 2020. The Knicks are more likely to retain Bullock than sign-and-trade him, but like the Miami Heat last summer, they may be more inclined to preserve their spending power for future free-agency classes. The Phoenix Suns were able to woo Crowder by guaranteeing him three years at the full mid-level. Championship hopefuls with the room necessary under the apron can—and should—try doing the same with Bullock.

Best Fits Among Projected Title Contenders: Atlanta, Denver, L.A. Lakers

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Like 1

Just now, Spud2nique said:

Best Fits Among Projected Title Contenders: Atlanta, Denver, L.A. Lakers

I’ll take Bullock. Coming out of North Carolina I had no idea he was a rugged 3 and D guy. He seemed more of a Hubert Davis finesse type of a player.

Ya we could use him as Trae would find him for a ton of catch and shoots as he plays the Klay Thompson no dribble type game and straight pull ups. 

Guess we saw that a bit in the playoffs. Join the good guys Bullock, we have fun here in the farm. We move! :dance:

• Like 1

Where do you find minutes for a guy like him though? I think his skill set would fit nicely. But we already have 4 guys taking almost all - if not all - of the minutes on the wings. 

for a guy used to going 24-30 minutes a game - I don’t see him wanting to play here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, h4wkfan said:

Where do you find minutes for a guy like him though? I think his skill set would fit nicely. But we already have 4 guys taking almost all - if not all - of the minutes on the wings. 

for a guy used to going 24-30 minutes a game - I don’t see him wanting to play here. 

This aways the case with these wish list.  Bullock isn't better than what we have so why duplicate our strenth?

• Like 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

This aways the case with these wish list.  Bullock is better than what we have so why duplicate our strenth?

I agree that there isn't a fit here.

But did you mean to say that Bullock is better than our wings or was that a typo?  I'm assuming you meant to say he isn't better than what we have.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, h4wkfan said:

Exactly. Bullock is/was a starter in NY - he's not coming here to be slotted at 3rd in the rotation behind our curreng guys.

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, AHF said:

I agree that there isn't a fit here.

But did you mean to say that Bullock is better than our wings or was that a typo?  I'm assuming you meant to say he isn't better than what we have.

Yeah it was a typo

3 hours ago, Jdawgflow said:

Bullock needs to do something with that hair though.  He is like the Reggie who was roasted by the Nutty Professor.

He’s gone too far with the comedy. :laugh1: Boy take that pile o off yo head that ain’t your hair. :laugh:

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Don’t have Trae on the team that’s what you get. :mellow:

The job done putting this team together was absolute garbage, Trae being an easy omission to note but definitely not limited to that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AHF said:

The job done putting this team together was absolute garbage, Trae being an easy omission to note but definitely not limited to that.

Ya it was. Was it Colangelo? I don’t even follow that anymore. Pop didn’t do this.. did he? 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Shout out to Hawks alum Willie Green on being named the new HC of the Pelicans.

Played on one of my favorite Hawks teams in 2011-12 with a deep bench that rivaled the one we have now. 
Hinrich, Pargo, Green, Stackhouse, McGrady, Radmonovic, Dampier, along with Hawks faves Zaza and Ivan Johnson.

Those were the backups to Teague, Joe, Marv, Josh, and Al.

Such a fun season and team that I wish stuck together longer.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31807977/phoenix-suns-assistant-willie-green-emerges-strong-frontrunner-new-orleans-pelicans-head-coaching-job-sources-say?platform=amp

Yes!   He was a lot of fun for the Hawks.  Underrated pro.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Ya it was. Was it Colangelo? I don’t even follow that anymore. Pop didn’t do this.. did he? 

Yes.  Jerry Colangelo.  

When you can get the very best talent and emerging stars you shouldn't settle for anything less than:

John Jenkins

Kevin Love

Jerami Grant

Draymond Green

Keldon Johnson

Darius Garland

Saddiq Bey

etc.

What could go wrong?

image.png

On a positive note, I did just read that Colangelo is 'retiring' from his role after the Tokyo games so that is good anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, AHF said:

On a positive note, I did just read that Colangelo is 'retiring' from his role after the Tokyo games so that is good anyway.

Aw, that's so cute.  It's almost like you didn't realize his son's gonna fail his way into replacing him.  But it'll be all based on merit, of course.  Wink, wink

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Aw, that's so cute.  It's almost like you didn't realize his son's gonna fail his way into replacing him.  But it'll be all based on merit, of course.  Wink, wink

Oh good god, is that the guy who took Bargnani 1st? :indifferent: Good lord.