• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021 into 2022 OFFSEASON News and Notes

RandomFan

I know people prefer our guys don't play in the Olympics and just get rest and stuff, but I rather them make that decision and turn down the invitation. 

The fact guys like Beal and Lavine keep getting selected over Trae, despite their lack own lack of defense, lets you know it's BS standards.

Trae is the best playmaker available after Bron and CP3 dropped out. That used to mean something to the National team. They always had a Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, or CP3 type guard on the roster. 

When jumpers don't fall and teams are on to your sets, it's good to have a floor general out there to control the pace and get some rhythm going.

Our go to option when it's tight is for KD and Dame to bail us out with three's.

I really think Pop and LP are afraid that Trae will come in and shine next to the best players in the world. His game translates to the international level. They have to get out of their feelings.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I know people prefer our guys don't play in the Olympics and just get rest and stuff, but I rather them make that decision and turn down the invitation. 

The fact guys like Beal and Lavine keep getting selected over Trae, despite their lack own lack of defense, lets you know it's BS standards.

Trae is the best playmaker available after Bron and CP3 dropped out. That used to mean something to the National team. They always had a Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, or CP3 type guard on the roster. 

When jumpers don't fall and teams are on to your sets, it's good to have a floor general out there to control the pace and get some rhythm going.

Our go to option when it's tight is for KD and Dame to bail us out with three's.

I really think Pop and LP are afraid that Trae will come in and shine next to the best players in the world. His game translates to the international level. They have to get out of their feelings.

CP3 never dropped out. He's in the finals like Holiday, Middleton, and Booker. They just aren't available 

11 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Team USA is a nonstarter for me.  The Hawks players need their rest and rehab..  Team USA will be good and probably win gold which we as a country have done several times. 

The Atlanta Hawks have never won an NBA championship.  I want our guys to be ready for a championship run next season.  It'll mean more to me than a gold in the Olympics which I've seen several times in my lifetime. 

This will be the last time Trae is left off the team and its more important for me that he be rested and healthy for next season than teaming up with a bunch of all NBAers and winning a gold medal.  He'll get one when he's about 26. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

CP3 never dropped out. He's in the finals like Holiday, Middleton, and Booker. They just aren't available 

Holiday, Middleton and Booker are on the team but unavailable.

CP3 declined his invitation outright along with Lebron, Curry, AD, etc...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/olympics/basketball/story/_/id/31687790/chris-paul-declines-team-usa-invitation-tokyo-olympics-sources-say%3fplatform=amp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marco102 said:

Team USA is a nonstarter for me.  The Hawks players need their rest and rehab..  Team USA will be good and probably win gold which we as a country have done several times. 

The Atlanta Hawks have never won an NBA championship.  I want our guys to be ready for a championship run next season.  It'll mean more to me than a gold in the Olympics which I've seen several times in my lifetime. 

This will be the last time Trae is left off the team and its more important for me that he be rested and healthy for next season than teaming up with a bunch of all NBAers and winning a gold medal.  He'll get one when he's about 26. 

I want our guys to make that choice. I want them to receive the honor and decide whether or not they want to play.

The fact they continuously get overlooked is a problem for me.

Trae, with his bone bruise would have probably decided to rest and rehab. But the rosters were set way before that. 

They put out the list out of the names that were invited and declined. Trae wasn't one of them.

9 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I want our guys to make that choice. I want them to receive the honor and decide whether or not they want to play.

The fact they continuously get overlooked is a problem for me.

Trae, with his bone bruise would have probably decided to rest and rehab. But the rosters were set way before that. 

They put out the list out of the names that were invited and declined. Trae wasn't one of them.

I understand that, but in your Hawks fandom you shouldn't want him there.  It doesn't make sense to want him there after a huge playoff run and coming off an injury. 

He will get his time on the team, but to me an NBA Championship is much more important. 

I get the "wanting" him to decline, but Trae wouldn't decline because of who he is.  I want him rested and healthy.  

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I understand that, but in your Hawks fandom you shouldn't want him there.  It doesn't make sense to want him there after a huge playoff run and coming off an injury. 

He will get his time on the team, but to me an NBA Championship is much more important. 

I get the "wanting" him to decline, but Trae wouldn't decline because of who he is.  I want him rested and healthy.  

I want all the accolades, attention and spotlight available.

If it weren't for his injury I would want Trae to play. His health comes first. But playing doesn't mean the next season is automatically compromised.

2016, Durant, Klay and Dray played and won the finals the next season 

2012 Lebron Played and won the championship the next year

2008 Kobe played and won the finals, Dwight played and led the Magic to the Finals.

Some say that playing on the National team actually raises one's talent to the next level. Trae broke out and became an All Star after his 1 summer with the select team.

Competition is beneficial for athletes. There is so much good to be had from being in a room of the best in the game. Learning how they see the game and prepare themselves to compete.

Its good marketing. Great recruiting. And it changes a player's reputation throughout the league. The title of Olympian carries a lot of weight even if the rosters are a bit watered down these days. It's an honor to represent one's country. Winning a Gold medal would be impactful for Trae and his legacy.

• Like 1

I agree with both of you.

On another league note, ORL hired Jamahl Moseley.  Former asst with DAL, said to be the mentor for their star player so kinda odd he didn't get more traction as HC for DAL. 

Whatevs, carry on ....

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I want all the accolades, attention and spotlight available.

If it weren't for his injury I would want Trae to play. His health comes first. But playing doesn't mean the next season is automatically compromised.

2016, Durant, Klay and Dray played and won the finals the next season 

2012 Lebron Played and won the championship the next year

2008 Kobe played and won the finals, Dwight played and led the Magic to the Finals.

Some say that playing on the National team actually raises one's talent to the next level. Trae broke out and became an All Star after his 1 summer with the select team.

Competition is beneficial for athletes. There is so much good to be had from being in a room of the best in the game. Learning how they see the game and prepare themselves to compete.

Its good marketing. Great recruiting. And it changes a player's reputation throughout the league. The title of Olympian carries a lot of weight even if the rosters are a bit watered down these days. It's an honor to represent one's country. Winning a Gold medal would be impactful for Trae and his legacy.

Let's just agree to disagree. I don't want anything hurting our chances.  Rest is the best thing for Trae after his FIRST major playoff run.  Again would you rather have an NBA Championship or a Gold Medal which Team USA almost always win? I'll take the Championship and in my opinion resting, recovery, working on his game is what I think is best for the Hawks. 

Accolades be damned.  I get being upset over the slight, but to me him being rested is what's best for the Hawks and that's all I care about.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Let's just agree to disagree. I don't want anything hurting our chances.  Rest is the best thing for Trae after his FIRST major playoff run.  Again would you rather have an NBA Championship or a Gold Medal which Team USA almost always win? I'll take the Championship and in my opinion resting, recovery, working on his game is what I think is best for the Hawks. 

Accolades be damned.  I get being upset over the slight, but to me him being rested is what's best for the Hawks and that's all I care about.

I would want both. I want it all.

Part of my argument is hypothetical because Trae is in fact injured this year. So coming off his first run is less consequential to me than his actual injury. 

For this years Olympics, I want him to have been invited and decline due to injury.

Any other year if healthy, I'd want him to play if he wanted to. Those same names I listed that played in the Olympics and won the finals, ALL of them (except Dwight)were in the Finals the same summer of the Olympics. That's even more basketball played than what Trae just did.

It's not an automatic disqualification if you play the Olympics. There is nothing that supports that.

The biggest argument against this year would be because of the already compact season that we just played and shortened offseason. Those are definitely cause for pause.
I don't disagree in isolation that Trae shouldn't play this year. But in normal circumstances it's not something I would be afraid of.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RedDawg#8 said:

The biggest argument against this year would be because of the already compact season that we just played and shortened offseason. Those are definitely cause for pause.
I don't disagree in isolation that Trae shouldn't play this year. But in normal circumstances it's not something I would be afraid of.

I agree with this part.  In a normal year, I'd be right with you and upset he didn't get the invite.  This is a truncated off season so that's why I've been saying it's best for him to rest and recover. 

I need this championship in my lifetime. :).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/9/2021 at 10:09 PM, sturt said:

Worth noting. Just so everyone is on the same page.

We have $13m at best in cap space... $8m if Dunn opts in as many anticipate will happen.

2021-07-09_21-06-00.png

This should be pinned somewhere cause someone like me is going to end up asking again right when free agency starts 

• Haha 2