• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta, Sharife Cooper

NBASupes

34 minutes ago, sturt said:

Cat Barber's been turning some heads. Not so sure that Langston is.

(EDIT: See that the writer highlighted one game. One game is one game.)

But/and that's one of the more ridiculous quotes you're ever going to read, ie, suggesting that our GM might drop Sharife. Someone at Soaring needs to be doing a better editing job to keep someone from uploading content that only amounts to embarrassing himself.

I don't really see the upside in cutting Sharife right now, even if he's been struggling lately. Allow him to work through those struggles. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I don't really see the upside in cutting Sharife right now, even if he's been struggling lately. Allow him to work through those struggles. 

No question.

Certainly he's not worthy of leaping into the role of Trae's back-up for 22-23 yet, but neither is it conceivable that you rule out having him on the 15-man for 22-23... let alone cutting him already. "Ridiculous" doesn't seem strong enough an adjective.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, ShooterSays said:

With his success so far in the G League including a 42 piece the other night, I wonder if he was being drafter this year, based on his G League performance, where he'd go in a re-draft? Potential lottery pick?

Doubtful but I am really, really hoping he gets a chance to show his stuff with the Atlanta Hawks next year.  Do what should have been done already with JJ - give him a 5 minute per game minimum and expand on that if he is playing effectively.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Doubtful but I am really, really hoping he gets a chance to show his stuff with the Atlanta Hawks next year.  Do what should have been done already with JJ - give him a 5 minute per game minimum and expand on that if he is playing effectively.

🔥 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbvSR5kvds4/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

Back on April 27th in the 'Cobbled Thread' @thecampster noted the following regarding Mr Cooper:

Cooper – Cooper openly complained about his role and opportunities. He may not be back and could be packaged.

Hopefully this is not a another Cam situation where instead of outperforming the role he is given and not skipping steps, he's complaining.

(I will chalk his shooting woes to his injured finger)...but I'm concerned about his SL play so far.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarylandHawk said:

The guy clearly is playing through a thumb injury. He is in a tough spot. He has to make it through camp. If he can hold his own with Trae and Murray in practice, he will create a spot for himself. 

Then why even be out there? It's SL no need to risk injury playing every game in games that mean nothing. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, StonedDogs said:

Then why even be out there? It's SL no need to risk injury playing every game in games that mean nothing. 

He is playing for a job. It is not a foregone conclusion he will make the team. If he doesn’t play, does somebody like Aaron Holiday walk in and take his possible minutes?  If does play well other teams are watching too. Do they make a play for him and giving him minutes?  Like i said he is in a tough spot. If he was a late first round pick, he would have more security and could easily sit out a thumb injury. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Sharife has job security insofar as a 2-way contract is job security. Not much. ATL could withdraw their offer anytime if they wanted. But he has a whole lot more security given how he finished the G-League season. So I really think this is just more of the same overreaction to SL. They're not going to throw in the towel on a kid that young who was a late 1st round guy on almost any board you looked at last summer.

So yeah, he's been playing for a regular contract. It's too much in comparison to a 2-way to not.

• Premium Member

Cooper just doesn't look good running a team. He struggles to beat his man off the dribble and has minimal athleticism. His shot is just plain bad and his defense is even worse.  He won't make it in this league being that small with average NBA skill.

9 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Cooper just doesn't look good running a team. He struggles to beat his man off the dribble and has minimal athleticism. His shot is just plain bad and his defense is even worse.  He won't make it in this league being that small with average NBA skill.

He was much improved in the Miami game. The team was getting into sets sooner and get was getting guys good looks but completely regressed in the last 3 mins of the game where we almost blew the lead.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He was much improved in the Miami game. The team was getting into sets sooner and get was getting guys good looks but completely regressed in the last 3 mins of the game where we almost blew the lead.

Most of the shots set up were jump shots or opportunities where the player receiving the ball still had to do the majority of the work to create a shot.  His lack of athleticism is alarming which means he is not a threat in the lane if forced to shoot.  Also the effort level and sense of urgency is just not there.  He looked better because the hawks played an inferior team.  My guess is that he will not fair well against NBA grade guards if there are no dramatic improvements to his game like improving his shooting.

On 7/13/2022 at 9:36 PM, MarylandHawk said:

He is playing for a job. It is not a foregone conclusion he will make the team. If he doesn’t play, does somebody like Aaron Holiday walk in and take his possible minutes?  If does play well other teams are watching too. Do they make a play for him and giving him minutes?  Like i said he is in a tough spot. If he was a late first round pick, he would have more security and could easily sit out a thumb injury. 

Well that definitely makes sense. I agree 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 7/13/2022 at 9:47 PM, sturt said:

Sharife has job security insofar as a 2-way contract is job security. Not much. ATL could withdraw their offer anytime if they wanted. But he has a whole lot more security given how he finished the G-League season.

The Hawks can no longer rescind the QO if they wanted to. Per the CBA:

Two-Way Player Qualifying Offers —

• Timing — A team can withdraw a Qualifying Offer (regular or maximum) on or before July 13 without a player’s consent. If it’s not withdrawn by then, the player has until October 1 to accept it and the Qualifying Offer may only be withdrawn with his consent. A player cannot accept a Qualifying Offer after October 1 unless the team (before October 1) extended the time for him to accept it.

https://cbabreakdown.com/free-agency

• Like 1