• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Thunder at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Agree with the premise, not who we should trade, but that's OK.  We have 4 good but not great wings.  We have expiring salaries and draft capital to trade.  It's a clear scenario to make a move. 

Right now I'm stuck on FVV.  He's not a star, but he brings us dribble, pass, shoot, and defense. The big X factor is he can double as a backup to Trae.  He provides insurance for any stretch where Trae goes down with injury and could dramatically improve our 2nd unit.  One salary provides both the starting 2 and backup PG.  He's only 27.  All we give up is expiring salary, a pick, and one of our redundant wings.  He's not a guy who carries a franchise, but I think he is in a position to plug into exact areas we are weak.

Jerami Grant is a great target that others brought up.  Why not both FVV and Grant?  We'd give up more future draft capital for doing both, but we have three other guys not playing now who are future rotation players: Sharife, Jalen, and Okongwu.  

Making moves to get proven guys >>>>> hoping our wings defy statistical probability and transform into Kawhi, James Worthy, or PG13. 

Hell NO.

Our wings are better and have higher ceilings than both of those guys.   GTFOH.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Agree with the premise, not who we should trade, but that's OK.  We have 4 good but not great wings.  We have expiring salaries and draft capital to trade.  It's a clear scenario to make a move. 

Right now I'm stuck on FVV.  He's not a star, but he brings us dribble, pass, shoot, and defense. The big X factor is he can double as a backup to Trae.  He provides insurance for any stretch where Trae goes down with injury and could dramatically improve our 2nd unit.  One salary provides both the starting 2 and backup PG.  He's only 27.  All we give up is expiring salary, a pick, and one of our redundant wings.  He's not a guy who carries a franchise, but I think he is in a position to plug into exact areas we are weak.

Jerami Grant is a great target that others brought up.  Why not both FVV and Grant?  We'd give up more future draft capital for doing both, but we have three other guys not playing now who are future rotation players: Sharife, Jalen, and Okongwu.  

Making moves to get proven guys >>>>> hoping our wings defy statistical probability and transform into Kawhi, James Worthy, or PG13. 

What are you proposing trading for FVV and Grant?  I don't see Kawhi, Worthy and PG13 as the point of comparison.  Comparison is whether what we are giving up turns into something better than FVV or Grant.  Can't really see getting those guys without giving up a player like Jalen, Cam, Hunter, etc. and that is a very different calculas than giving up a #23 pick or something.

• Like 3

Somewhere in the NBA there might be a really great player on a team that sucks.  I don't even pretend to know who might fit this description.  Travis and the scouts would know.

If such a player does exist then the Hawks might be tempted to trade two for one player for him.  

Making a trade just to trade or to stir things up is not ideal.  Atlanta has worked too hard to build what we have right now to put it in harm's way.

As a side not, I still believe that Wright is all right.  He's doing what he's supposed to do and, I believe, he's doing it well.

:hi:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

Right now, we're seemingly complaining about Depth?

Every NBA team is trying to get better.  I don’t see proposing upgrades as “complaining”.  PG is unavailable. I do see FVV and Jeremiah Grant as upgrades. FVV is a better playmaker than anyone on our roster outside of Trae.  

Gallo is an expiring and likely gone after this season.  We either trade him or lose his salary slot.  

3 hours ago, AHF said:

What are you proposing trading for FVV and Grant?  I don't see Kawhi, Worthy and PG13 as the point of comparison.  Comparison is whether what we are giving up turns into something better than FVV or Grant.  Can't really see getting those guys without giving up a player like Jalen, Cam, Hunter, etc. and that is a very different calculas than giving up a #23 pick or something.

I haven’t actually gone to the trouble of matching salaries. We will definitely have to give up something to get something.