• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Thunder at Hawks

lethalweapon3

9 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Lou really fits next to Cam and Wright

So what do we do with Dre when he comes back? Kev isnt giving up the starting SF position...Cam isnt giving up the backup SF position..Do we move Cam to backup 2? Hunter to backup 3? That might screw up the Delon/Lou/Cam/Gallo bench connection......................................Either way, somebody's min might take a hit......And if we're rolling still.........................What does Nate do? Hmm?????? OO has nothing to worry about because Dieng seems to already be in Nates doghouse.....................................

Edited by terrell

Just now, terrell said:

So what do we do with Dre when he comes back? Kev isnt giving up the starting SF position...Cam isnt giving up the backup SF position..Do we move Cam to backup 2? Hunter to backup 3? That might screw up the Delon/Lou/Cam/Gallo bench connection......................................

Idk, Hunter is in the rotation but maybe as a 4 instead of 3. With Okongwu back, maybe you can play Hunter at the 3 and Cam at the 2 with Wright at 1 but Lou and Delon work together 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Idk, Hunter is in the rotation but maybe as a 4 instead of 3. With Okongwu back, maybe you can play Hunter at the 3 and Cam at the 2 with Wright at 1 but Lou and Delon work together 

Yeah OO will fit right in the 2nd unit at center. Dieng isnt playing much anyway.....Not sure where Hunter fits if we're stilll rolling, other than for defensive assignments...And he wont be happy with that.. IDK man.. Hunter and Cam dont seem to gel that well on the floor together....

Edited by terrell

Me thinks, it's a little over exaggerated the effects of what's going on.  Hunter was playing during our toughest part of the schedule and the offense was spurting a bit him with it, but the Hawks were facing tough defenses. 

I think Hunter will get the starting job back after being on the bench a little. He will probably come off the bench his first few games.  If Bogi isn't himself at that point, it's between Bogi and Huerter who starts.  You really need Hunter's defense with the starters.  The offense will figure itself out. 

Lou and Wright will probably rotate in as needed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do y'all remember the Core 5 lineup? It's been a minute since we had everyone healthy but they were our best 5 man group in 2019.

Trae, Kev, Cam, Dre, JC

I know this is doesn't solve the problem of who starts, but we should look at giving this lineup some more burn once everyone gets back

32 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Do y'all remember the Core 5 lineup? It's been a minute since we had everyone healthy but they were our best 5 man group in 2019.

Trae, Kev, Cam, Dre, JC

I know this is doesn't solve the problem of who starts, but we should look at giving this lineup some more burn once everyone gets back

If Dre is gonna play some 4, he better learn how to rebound.....We've been getting killed with offensive rebounds with our normal lineup...Much less going small...

Edited by terrell

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Yeah and Nate trusts Lou.. I cant see him taking him out of the rotation if he and Delon keep playing well......

So the problem here is easily solved by trade with the choice seeming to be between Hunter who can't stay healthy and Huerter who has a definite ceiling.

Although Kevin was given the big contract, it is very tradable and he would look very nice on a developing team.  Dre has a much higher ceiling but his health concerns really limit our ability to commit to him long term like we did with Kevin. Dre is a good trade piece to a team needing someone to get them over the hump this year and needs 3-D off the bench. If Cam stays healthy, he's flashed enough to say the Hawks will commit to him long term. 

IMHO, either Hunter is the odd man out or they move Bogi a season early.  Of the 4 wings, Bogi's defense is the most suspect and his streaky shooting can kill you come playoff time. I think there is a real possibility that Gallo and Bogi's salaries together take a star quality piece off of another squad come playoff time. Maybe someone who can play the 2 full time as a starter next to Trae. 

Regardless, IMHO, the only one of the 4 who won't be moved is Cam and it will probably come down to Bogi/Hunter, maybe as early as the trade deadline.

Edited by thecampster

13 minutes ago, thecampster said:

So the problem here is easily solved by trade with the choice seeming to be between Hunter who can't stay healthy and Huerter who has a definite ceiling.

Although Kevin was given the big contract, it is very tradable and he would look very nice on a developing team.  Dre has a much higher ceiling but his health concerns really limit our ability to commit to him long term like we did with Kevin. Dre is a good trade piece to a team needing someone to get them over the hump this year and needs 3-D off the bench. If Cam stays healthy, he's flashed enough to say the Hawks will commit to him long term. 

IMHO, either Hunter is the odd man out or they move Bogi a season early.  Of the 4 wings, Bogi's defense is the most suspect and he's streaky shooting can kill you come playoff time. I think there is a real possibility that Gallo and Bogi's salaries together take a star quality piece off of another squad come playoff time. Maybe someone who can play the 2 full time as a starter next to Trae. 

Regardless, IMHO, the only one of the 4 who won't be moved is Cam and it will probably come down to Bogi/Hunter, maybe as early as the trade deadline.

Im not trading Kev.. Nope...He fits too well with Trae on offense.....................I think his ceiling is just as high or higher than Hunter's tbh......Hunter was more of a high floor player.. Plus he's nearly a year older than Kev, and cant stay healthy like you said......But yeah, Bogi is the odd wing out.. Hunter brings too much defensively.. Nate trust Bogi though, so IDK..................Btw, if Cam can keep playing under control, and letting the game come to him instead of forcing everything, he's definitely a keeper.. And doesnt Bogi have a trade kicker or something?

Edited by terrell

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

IMHO, either Hunter is the odd man out or they move Bogi a season early.  Of the 4 wings, Bogi's defense is the most suspect and his streaky shooting can kill you come playoff time. I think there is a real possibility that Gallo and Bogi's salaries together take a star quality piece off of another squad come playoff time. Maybe someone who can play the 2 full time as a starter next to Trae. 

Dang, I was about to send the cadaver dogs after you.  Welcome back?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrell said:

If Dre is gonna play some 4, he better learn how to rebound.....We've been getting killed with offensive rebounds with our normal lineup...Much less going small...

I know it's a "small" lineup on paper, but when we have gone to it, our length and speed have allowed us to either switch everything or go zone and keep teams out of the paint, crash the boards and get out on the break much more often. It's a swarming, fast paced lineup more than a halfcourt/grinding lineup. And it has been extremely effective when used and surprisingly, we haven't gotten punished on the glass.

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Never believe Travis, he has always predicted an earlier time line than what ends up happening. We are best to just anticipate a January return and be pleasantly surprised if it happens sooner.

Exactly...

2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Never believe Travis, he has always predicted an earlier time line than what ends up happening. We are best to just anticipate a January return and be pleasantly surprised if it happens sooner.

While this is true, the fact that he has a Gleague time gives me more belief to think he's telling the truth. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, thecampster said:

I have way less interest in trading Kevin than anyone outside of Cam as wings go and even Kevin is harder to want to move because I want so much for Kevin. Kevin is on a great contract for the next 5 years. I would need a legit star for him and even then, I don't know. Cam potential makes him hard to move. Even if I am not sure on what his price is. Hunter, I don't know. Maybe he's just a 3&D guy who's basically a poor man's Kawhi but I hope he could develop into a Ron Artest type and find winning off ball traits like Artest did. Kawhi never really did but he's so freakish on ball, it didn't matter. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

My first thought too, 😆 

13 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

While this is true, the fact that he has a Gleague time gives me more belief to think he's telling the truth. 

This^ and the fact Nate said today he's already participating in 3-on-3 practices.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, thecampster said:

Agree with the premise, not who we should trade, but that's OK.  We have 4 good but not great wings.  We have expiring salaries and draft capital to trade.  It's a clear scenario to make a move. 

Right now I'm stuck on FVV.  He's not a star, but he brings us dribble, pass, shoot, and defense. The big X factor is he can double as a backup to Trae.  He provides insurance for any stretch where Trae goes down with injury and could dramatically improve our 2nd unit.  One salary provides both the starting 2 and backup PG.  He's only 27.  All we give up is expiring salary, a pick, and one of our redundant wings.  He's not a guy who carries a franchise, but I think he is in a position to plug into exact areas we are weak.

Jerami Grant is a great target that others brought up.  Why not both FVV and Grant?  We'd give up more future draft capital for doing both, but we have three other guys not playing now who are future rotation players: Sharife, Jalen, and Okongwu.  

Making moves to get proven guys >>>>> hoping our wings defy statistical probability and transform into Kawhi, James Worthy, or PG13. 

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, thecampster said:

Nah.

We only trade if something really good comes back.   We don't trade to help figure out our best lineup.

• Like 3