The cobbled together, stuff we held on to during the playoffs mega super rumor and team direction thread.

thecampster

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

If Management trades for Ben Simmons, Beal, Gobert, Zion or especially A. Davis, this team will not be a contender for a long time.

Let me add Kyrie to that list since he was mentioned in another thread as a possibility. Y'all got to be straight up re******** to want Kyrie anywhere near this team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Let me add Kyrie to that list since he was mentioned in another thread as a possibility. Y'all got to be straight up re******* to want Kyrie anywhere near this team.

I'm not for calling people re******s….

But your sentiments, I agree.  There are some players that we shouldn't touch because even though the name sounds good, the chemistry won't work.  Add Westbrook preemptively. 

But we do need a star who can co-exist with Trae. 

I say.. KD.  However, KD would have to force his way out of Brooklyn. 

I dunno... we will see what Travis can drum up.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, marco102 said:

My lord will you stop trying to get rid of JC?...unless it's for a clear upgrade offensively AND defensively.

Lol oh does it sound like I’m trying to get rid of JC?

I can see how you thought that. In all seriousness I’m ONLY trying to understand the full complete impact  (not just defensively) of going after Gobert that I may be missing….while it sounds like I’m trying to get rid of JC I’m actually not .

Understanding what Gobert brings as a whole is my goal here. For example I know exactly how Gobert will benefit Trae on both ends and that’s hard to see . I know how Gobert pretty much makes any and everyone better defensively on the team again that’s not hard to see but  it’s just as important that Collins who’s considered as of now by many our second best player is also highly benefited by Goberts presence on both ends including offensively and not just Trae!

From another perspective and maybe this won’t make me seem like I’m trying to ship off JC….Collins stepped up big time on defense this season and really showed that he’s a two way player . I’d be curious If Goberts defensive presence allows collins to take another leap defensively to a point where he can become not just a good team defender but an impact game changing defender for the team.

Gobert contract is mega but I don’t mind it if there’s a true vision behind what he brings on both ends.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/2/2022 at 6:03 PM, MaceCase said:

GS does makes sense for Gobert, they still believe they have a championship core and can add him as a long lost Bogut replacement.  Wiseman and Kuminga aren’t on their big 3’s timeline and offer enough excitement to a Utah rebuild.

Wiseman and Kuminga are 2 young guys we should go after. Specifically Wiseman.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

I'm not for calling people retards..

But your sentiments, I agree.  There are some players that we shouldn't touch because even though the name sounds good, the chemistry won't work.  Add Westbrook preemptively. 

But we do need a star who can co-exist with Trae. 

I say.. KD.  However, KD would have to force his way out of Brooklyn. 

I dunno... we will see what Travis can drum up.

The truth is that there’s not many fits out there on the open trade market. If we strike out on Gobert (big time defensive star) or Ayton (a could be mega huge offensive star) trades….we are SOL.

I’d rather have Ayton of course but I’m not really for trading for Westbrick, AD, Kyrie, or even Simmons now that he has this back injury issue on top of the mental.

some out there want us to get Beal and that would be great offensively but does nothing defensively. To me it’s Gobert or Ayton as our only true targets that may help us improve instantly.

6 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I’d be ok with going after Wiseman but golden state is ridiculous and probably would want JC or Capela in return.

Edited by JTB

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

You know I am a fan of Wiseman.  I believe that he will be great in this league. 

Wiseman vs. Duren vs. Mark Williams comes to mind though 

• Like 1

Wiseman is not available. Grant neither. Gobert probably requires a great overpay, Ayton as well. I would be only paying for Ayton if I am Travis, why? Becases he fits my star timeline and is a good for for him, I pair 2 stars and have simething to build around. 

If we cannot trade for him, I would try to upgrade the strength and size of the team be FA. Trade Gallo and Huerter, sign Bruce Brown or Gary Harris, Otto Porter or Kyle Anderson, Boucher or Jalen Smith, Whiteside or Hartenstein. Resign Delon, 

Trae/Delon

Bogi/Brown

Hunter/Porter

JC/Boucher

Cap/OO

• Moderators

I'm not getting how folks think Mitchell is that big of a defensive drop off from Bogi/Kev.   Wright's impact on the court was huge not just because he's an excellent defender but because the guys he was subbing for sucked defensively.   Mitchell's wingspan is longer than Bogi or Kevin which is straight up insane so I'm not buying that his height is that big of an issue.   Height isn't doing anything for Kev and Bogi when guys routinely go right by them.   I guess we'll miss the occasional block from behind.    Mitchell rebounds better than both and that's with most of his minutes coming with Gobert on the court. 

I'm not happy with watching crummy defenders who every 10 games get hot from 3 and every 20 games go to the line.  I'd much rather have a crummy defender who's been the #1 guy on a 50 win team every year in the NBA.   

• Like 2

Trying to think of a time in NBA history where a small backcourt had success...

The best example that I can think of were the bad-boy Pistons with Isiah Thomas at 6"1 and Joe Dumars at 6"3 and 190 lbs. This was before my time, but Joe made a number of all defensive teams and they also had Rodman and Laimbeer as enforcers. Joe was obviously a great defender...but it is possible to win with a small backcourt.

Mitchell is a couple inches shorter, but has about 25 pounds on Joe and I imagine a larger wingspan. I don't think it works in this case because Mitchell probably isn't half the defender Joe was...but he has the physical tools to be.

I don't think Trae and Mitchell work defensively...but just saying there is some precedent in NBA history of a small backcourt being successful. Can anyone else think of any?

Edited by ShooterSays
  • Like 1