• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Drew League 2022...Plus Other Summer ProAm Leagues & Smack Talk

JayBirdHawk

On 7/27/2022 at 8:20 PM, AHF said:

This should be obvious.  It is about spacing not fga.

In the 2018-19 season you referenced with the 8.2 fga, @benhillboy, Dedmon took the majority of his shots from 10+ feet away from the basket and over 41% of his attempts from 3pt range (his highest volume region according to basketball reference’s shooting stats).

In contrast, Capela shot just over 1% of his shots from more than 10 feet away and almost 77% of his shots from within 3 feet of the hoop.

One opened up space for JC near the basket and the other clogged that space up.

I recognize the spacing issue yall, I assumed that was understood.  I ain’t James Naismith but give me more credit than a cazzy lol!

What I was trying to say (and clearly failed) is Clint’s constant paint presence and mediocre scoring volume isn’t worth the drop off in John’s scoring balance, gaudy offensive board work, and And 1 prowess from seasons past (45 in his second campaign, 15 last season). And I like Clint. I don’t like rugged Bigs like John drifting too far outside the elbow unless they’re Towns shooting level. Even then I’m iffy.

The first time I see OO take a three with more than 8 seconds on the clock I’m gonna need a new television.

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, benhillboy said:

I recognize the spacing issue yall, I assumed that was understood.  I ain’t James Naismith but give me more credit than a cazzy lol!

What I was trying to say (and clearly failed) is Clint’s constant paint presence and mediocre scoring volume isn’t worth the drop off in John’s scoring balance, gaudy offensive board work, and And 1 prowess from seasons past (45 in his second campaign, 15 last season). And I like Clint. I don’t like rugged Bigs like John drifting too far outside the elbow unless they’re Towns shooting level. Even then I’m iffy.

The first time I see OO take a three with more than 8 seconds on the clock I’m gonna need a new television.

Clint’s offense is almost irrelevant to the issue.  He is on the floor for his defense and they are just making the best of the situation with him on offense.  As long as he is on the floor, JC won’t be able to focus on scoring near the basket but it would be worse if you cleared CC out of the paint to let JC operate because then you would be truly playing 4 on 5.  This was the reason some posters wanted to see the team trade for Ayton or other more versatile centers.  But Ayton would have been way more expensive and would not have matched Clint on D so you can certainly understand why the team might not go that direction.

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, AHF said:

Clint’s offense is almost irrelevant to the issue.  He is on the floor for his defense and they are just making the best of the situation with him on offense.  As long as he is on the floor, JC won’t be able to focus on scoring near the basket but it would be worse if you cleared CC out of the paint to let JC operate because then you would be truly playing 4 on 5.  This was the reason some posters wanted to see the team trade for Ayton or other more versatile centers.  But Ayton would have been way more expensive and would not have matched Clint on D so you can certainly understand why the team might not go that direction.

Ayton is moot.  He got a max 4 year deal from Indy and Phoenix matched it in minutes.   The point is that Phoenix is cheap but they were not about to let Ayton go for nothing.   They were much happier signing him for less than the max.  They may have traded with us but we would have had to give more than just Clint... especially after what Utah got for Gobert. 

• JayBirdHawk changed the title to Drew League 2022...Plus Other Summer ProAm Leagues

I know that the game has changed and all, but I truly don’t understand how you cant make it work with 2 bigs in the paint. The court is the same size, the players are basically the same size as 30 yrs ago, there are still 24 secs on the shot clock. 

I mean in the 90’s, you’d have almost all 5 guys inside the arc, or at least 4, and they found ways to score 100+ points.

I really am curious if you had the right mix of skillset, why couldn’t a coach make it work?

Why not pound on teams inside and punish them for being too small?

Pay attention to Minny and how they scheme  KAT and Gobert. They may figure something out that we can use here.

In the meantime thank goodness JC can shoot from outside and make it work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Updated thread title. Seems like most of these ProAms have live streaming of their games.

For such a young player: Impressive 

Anyone know if OO has displayed his jumper as yet?

I would be so surprised. You can look at the kid and how he naturally approaches the game. He likes to mix it up on offense and is a gifted offensive rebounder.

He is not natural at finding enough space to even be able to get a clean jumpshot off. For him to become any kind of shooter, he would have to change his entire mental approach to basketball.

I just don’t see it. Especially not to anyone’s benefit.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I know that the game has changed and all, but I truly don’t understand how you cant make it work with 2 bigs in the paint. The court is the same size, the players are basically the same size as 30 yrs ago, there are still 24 secs on the shot clock. 

I mean in the 90’s, you’d have almost all 5 guys inside the arc, or at least 4, and they found ways to score 100+ points.

I really am curious if you had the right mix of skillset, why couldn’t a coach make it work?

Why not pound on teams inside and punish them for being too small?

Pay attention to Minny and how they scheme  KAT and Gobert. They may figure something out that we can use here.

In the meantime thank goodness JC can shoot from outside and make it work.

The game has actually fundamentally changed on defense with the changes to legalize zone defense. In the 90’s you either had to hard commit to go after the man with the ball or had to stay within an arm’s length of your man without the ball or you would get flagged for illegal defense.  That made it much easier for big men to operate.  

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 11:09 PM, AHF said:

Without looking I would guess Clint’s defense in perimeter isolation was average by the numbers, but not by the eyes.  As great as his advanced metrics are I can’t put him in an elite category without a plus ability in that area for a Big.  There’s just too many holes with him that contending teams don’t pay a premium for.

Edited by benhillboy