• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2022-23 NBA Season Has Officially Started: Notes/Tidbits/Updates etc.

JayBirdHawk

2 hours ago, marco102 said:

I think this relates to the chemistry of all the new pieces.

Well, some of this is personnel.  DJM is a mid range guy, and Trae was always among the league leaders in pull up mid range shots with his floaters.  With both of them attempting a majority of our shots we are going to have a higher number of mid range shots. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, kg01 said:

Just don't tell @MarylandHawk that I'm now a Bol fan. 🤫

Seriously though, the crowd was crazy whenever he did anything.  I hope, for his sake, he gets in the hands of a coach creative enough to do something with him.

He's still not a super-high impact guy but he could be.

Nah my heet-fan BIL gots connex.  Turns out we were across the court about 10 rows up.  Sitting with Magic family, I think.  

More observations:

Game began with some rando fan chanting, 'Let's go Heat!'

Montrose is gah-bage on D.  Straight trassh.

Lotta eye candy around.  A lot.

PHI has some kid working out pregame that looked pretty good.

Gary Harris is terrible.  Jalen Suggs is middling at best.  Can't believe folks were dismayed TOR picked Barnes over him.  Ridic. 

Ah ha caught!

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

Ah ha caught!

What?!  Who told you! 😲

Seriously though, I really enjoyed seeing Bol in person.  I get the impression he doesn't know how good he could be.  And no coach he's had has been able to use him properly because of it.  Strange.

• Like 1

Just now, Spud2nique said:

I’ll bet you did… :huh: was it.. HE big?

I saw his dad at Vallco in 88.. so if you think about it, we have a father/son thing going you and I..

It’s not as great as a mother/daughter combo at a rock 🪨 concert but hey, beggars can’t be choosers. 

#bolfan #BIGBIGBOL #lovethebols #HEYHONEYITSTHEBOLSatthedoor 🚪 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I’ll bet you did… :huh: was it.. HE big?

Yes .... yes he was. TWSS

I also learned like half of ORL roster is hurt.  Weird.

Eta. And Jaden Springer is the kid I saw working out pregame that looked sorta impressive.

Edited by kg01
  • Haha 1

At the quarter mark this team is doing what it’s built to do: surrender a few more points than it scores and sell tickets.  Clint’s obviously been the most consistent player and he isn’t even a great one.

They could be one game under .500 instead of over had Nate’s hand not been forced by injury to thrust AJ into rotation minutes.

• Haha 1

Trae says get one..

Atlanta Hawks need to “get one” win to get going again according to Trae Young

“We get one and, hopefully, that strings together some wins,” Young said. I mean, in this league, it’s all about momentum and when a team gets going, they can get going for a while. And when they’re down, they can stay down for a while. So, it’s all about how you can win that first one and then trying to string together some wins.”

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Watching the Mavs struggle makes me feel a little better.  @terrell, as much as you hate Schlenk, can you imagine being a Mavs fan?  Look at that roster.

Yeah their Roster is trash...Pistons shouldve won in regulation.......

Difference is Mavs have had Only 1 1st rd pick since 2018.. (they gave up most of them for Porzingis) And then traded him away for Dinwiddie and Bertans.. 

(Schlenk had 4 lottery picks. And 2 top 20 picks)

And trading Curry was a huge mistake for them. We did the same thing with Kevin(trading offense for defense)

Schlenk's twin brother must be Dallas' GM.. lol

Edited by terrell

• Moderators
11 hours ago, terrell said:

We did the same thing with Kevin(trading offense for defense)

Don't think we actually did.  We traded Kevin for cap relief to get under the tax line.  We've had debate whether Holiday is a terrible defender or a decent one but that trade was not about improving the basketball team this year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Don't think we actually did.  We traded Kevin for cap relief to get under the tax line.  We've had debate whether Holiday is a terrible defender or a decent one but that trade was not about improving the basketball team this year.

It's not my money, but that was very disappointing to see as a Hawks fan. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

You could make a case that we traded offense for defense.  After acquiring DJM, Huerter was more expendable.  It was two transactions, but acquiring Murray was largely a move to get better defensively. 

Here's a question.  What is Huerter's trade value in terms of picks?  DJM was 3 1sts, should Kevin be 2? 

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

You could make a case that we traded offense for defense.  After acquiring DJM, Huerter was more expendable.  It was two transactions, but acquiring Murray was largely a move to get better defensively. 

Here's a question.  What is Huerter's trade value in terms of picks?  DJM was 3 1sts, should Kevin be 2? 

I'm not sure you can make that argument for two reasons:

First, it is all about money.  We could have kept both if we were willing to pay the tax.  The primary motivation for the trade was saving dollars and that was needed with DH's new contract, DM's trade, JC's salary, etc.  I don't pin that all on DM.

Second, from a pure basketball perspective I'm not convinced DM is a downgrade offensively compared to Huerter.  He brings more ability to create offense for himself and brings more passing and ballhandling abilities.  He is an obvious downgrade on 3pt shooting but that is about it.  Last year, DM produced 3.9 OWS compared to 1.8 OWS for Huerter.  You can certainly make the case that Huerter is better this year but that will be driven by his .642% TS% which is a massive jump over his career .554% and I don't think that level of jump is sustainable.  So, in short, we have a different player with different strengths and weaknesses on offense but I'm not sure that the difference in total contribution to the offense is meaningful.

• Like 1