• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Noted.   And definitely grounds for concern.

Having said that, I can probably name on one hand the stars that really don't have any noticeable character flaws

• Curry
  • Giannis
  • Jokic
  • Tatum . . . haven't heard too much from him
  • Morant . . he's the darling of Memphis right now

Everyone else . .  lol

• Luka made his coach walk away
  • Durant dang near gave an ultimatum to fire the coach AND the GM
  • Kyrie . . lol
  • Chris Paul . . known a-hole personality who teammates aren't fond of, and has demanded 2 trades.
  • Harden . . demanded a trade . . twice in the last 3 years
  • Lebron . . he dang near runs any team he's on, and he's gotten rid of a coach before ( Blatt )

Trae's stuff looks tame, compared to those guys.

• Jimmy Butler . . multiple run-ins with teammates and coaches

Take Jokic and Morant off that list and you are spot on. No excuse though for those actions, as long as he embraces the growing leadership role he will learn how to get the most out of other people. That is what leadership really is. It is not necessarily being the perfect human being. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

Take Jokic and Morant off that list and you are spot on. No excuse though for those actions, as long as he embraces the growing leadership role he will learn how to get the most out of other people. That is what leadership really is. It is not necessarily being the perfect human being. 

What have Jokic and Morant to disrupt their teams, coach, or the front office?

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, shakes said:

you think in between playoff games players are just told to do whatever they want and go wherever they want?     Film session?  Practice?  Recovery treatment from training staff?  Naw, don't need that stuff.  Everyone just go to Atlantis for 2 days and then come back and go straight to the arena for game 3!   Or go back to your childhood home and shoot buckets in the driveway for a couple days!

😭

Jet travel time Miami to Atlanta @ 500 mph, per TravelMath.com = 1.5 hrs.

Jet travel time Miami to Oklahoma City @ 500 mph, per TravelMath.com = 3 hrs

Jet travel time Oklahoma City to Atlanta @ 500 mph, per TravelMath.com = 1.45 hrs

But yeah, I hear ya.... that extra 1.5 hrs after the game, then extra 1.45 hrs whenever players were due back would have been ridiculous.

More soberly, what it actually would mean if it happened to be part of the equation here (and I'm not saying it is, but that it's plausible) is that Trae would have gotten in bed somewhat later than his teammates after the Tue night game, and then he would have had to leave to get back to SFA a little short of 2 hours before his teammates would have had to leave wherever they live in ATL.

I'm sorry that you don't know what you don't know and it pisses you off to think there could possibly be something you don't know, but you're but a mere mortal like the rest of us... no omniscience, no god status... and you can't know this one, short of having some insider insight. The attempt to make it sound like such an absurdly irrational idea is interesting. I'm content to let others decide if it's actually persuasive.

• Premium Member

2023-01-17_20-17-46.png

"Haphazard, willy-nilly"

We agree on that much.

Be fair. That's not what I said.

I didn't even say anything like that, bleach.

"Honest misunderstanding"... those are my words (... which are not what you said).

A team could say, "We have rules, and the rules have to apply to everyone, and one of our rules is that you have to let someone on the coaching staff know if something comes up and you're not where we expect you to be." A player could say, as I just said, "I complied with the rule before, and I presumed that it would be assumed that the same thing was happening." Or, a player could say alternatively, "I knew what the rule was, but I had some other family things on my mind, and I just needed to take care of personal business. I have no excuse." Or, a player could say alternatively, "I told another player to tell Nate, but no, I didn't tell Nate myself."

There's got to be a half-dozen equally plausible possibilities for what could have happened with that that do not raise to the dire affront/offense that, yes, it also could be. I don't know what it is. I seem to be in the minority, though, of people willing to acknowledge that until you know... in my best Paul Harvey voice,... "thhhhhhhhhhhe rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrest of the story"... you don't know, and what you don't know could be sufficient to change the complexion of the episode.

"But he got disciplined!!! A team doesn't discipline unless the team is angry with the player's behavior."

Um. Not so.

Look, circling back to that first alternative mentioned, team rules are team rules, and sometimes it might not be so much that it's regarded as some flagrant, egregious thing that the team feels anger over... but objectively, rules and whatever discipline is merited has to be taken seriously by team authorities, otherwise, who's ever going to take rules seriously? Doesn't have to be any emotion behind it. Rules are rules.

"That doesn't happen."

Yes. It does.

2023-01-17_20-15-39.png

And Dallas media corps people on a regular podcast that I listen to during the football season relayed after this particular episode how they were aware that the team imposes any number of fines and other discipline during a given season that the public is never told about because it's regarded as a strictly internal thing. In this instance, though, Jerry was said to have wanted to counter anyone's notion that Zeke had been demoted, so he opened up to the extent that he did, and acknowledged there was a legitimate-tho-internal reason why Zeke didn't start that game.

I'm not wrong on this, bleach. And by "not wrong," I mean I'm specifically "not wrong" to say that we can't know what we can't know, and to presume we can is intellectual puffery.

43 minutes ago, sturt said:

Jet travel time Miami to Atlanta @ 500 mph, per TravelMath.com = 1.5 hrs.

Jet travel time Miami to Oklahoma City @ 500 mph, per TravelMath.com = 3 hrs

Jet travel time Oklahoma City to Atlanta @ 500 mph, per TravelMath.com = 1.45 hrs

But yeah, I hear ya.... that extra 1.5 hrs after the game, then extra 1.45 hrs whenever players were due back would have been ridiculous.

More soberly, what it actually would mean if it happened to be part of the equation here (and I'm not saying it is, but that it's plausible) is that Trae would have gotten in bed somewhat later than his teammates after the Tue night game, and then he would have had to leave to get back to SFA a little short of 2 hours before his teammates would have had to leave wherever they live in ATL.

I'm sorry that you don't know what you don't know and it pisses you off to think there could possibly be something you don't know, but you're but a mere mortal like the rest of us... no omniscience, no god status... and you can't know this one, short of having some insider insight. The attempt to make it sound like such an absurdly irrational idea is interesting. I'm content to let others decide if it's actually persuasive.

What we do know is that Trae was fined by the team. Believe it or not, fining your superstar player is not a common occurrence. Teams bend over backwards to keep the relationship with their star player amicable. The fact the Hawks choose to levy a fine demonstrates the team felt this was more than a misunderstanding. Lauren Williams, AJC writer, also reported this event led to a deterioration is the relationship between Trae and Travis. That's not conjecture there, she is reporting that. I'm not sure why you are insisting on dying on this hill.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

What we do know is that Trae was fined by the team. Believe it or not, fining your superstar player is not a common occurrence. Teams bend over backwards to keep the relationship with their star player amicable. The fact the Hawks choose to levy a fine demonstrates the team felt this was more than a misunderstanding. Lauren Williams, AJC writer, also reported this event led to a deterioration is the relationship between Trae and Travis. That's not conjecture there, she is reporting that. I'm not sure why you are insisting on dying on this hill.

Already addressed all  of this.

(You probably were composing this, just ahead of my clicking submit for the post just ahead of it.)

3 minutes ago, sturt said:

I am not. You're injecting your own presumptions in-between the lines of what she reported.

Bottom line is team levied a fine, and it has been reported, by our very own Hawks beat reporter Lauren Williams, that this event caused a rift between Trae and Schlenk. That sounds like pretty compelling evidence to me that this more than a mere misunderstanding. Your epistemological generalities are not very persuasive in this instance, sorry. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Here's exactly what she said...

2023-01-17_21-08-50.png

Schlenk's disposition may have been anger. Sure.

What you're ruling out for your own reasons is, it may have matter of fact. While I'm sure it's fair to say Schlenk wasn't pleased, it could also be that when Trae gave his explanation, Schlenk felt some regret but that he had to apply the letter of the law, aka, rules anyhow.

Trae's explanation may have been reflective of an honest misunderstanding, or it might not have.

Like Schlenk's attitude, what is accurate to say is that we don't know how Trae explained it, if at all.

We. Just. Don't. Know.

I'm not the boss of you. You have your reasons for wanting to presume there couldn't possibly be any honest misunderstanding, even though I presented explicit example of exactly that happening with another team in a situation where a team rule was broken.

Again, I'm content that you disagree. It happens. I'm also content to let other readers decide for themselves if they want to presume the worst, or if they are comfortable with just saying, "I don't know."

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

What does seem likely, of course, is that Trae felt like he shouldn't have been held accountable. He may have felt it wasn't completely his fault, but that he was being held accountable as-if it was completely his fault.

We do know from previous episodes that Trae can believe at times that he's the superior judge of a given situation.

I'll walk that far with you, bleach.