• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Uhm... OO becomes a BU C. 

I know I will get a whole lot of OO stands pushback (Where's Spud)... but OO is not close to being ready to be a PF.   Ayton has range...but we need some rebounding.    Maybe that would be the angle to playing OO at the PF.  I guess it's no different than using Simmons at the PF spot.   But if we get Simmons, then OO becomes a BU. 

Positionless basketball. If Ayton can bring some range and spacing there's no reason him and OO can't coexist on the offensive end.

OO brings too much intensity on the defensive side of the ball to limit him to a backup role. We need him out there guarding Giannis and Embiid.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

OK.. let's say that this happens.. just for grins.

And Let's say we get Simmons for JC... I think BKL would try to tax us heavily though. 

Maybe the trade is JC/Hunter for Simmons /1st. 

I think we'd start:

Ayton/Simmons/Crowder/DJM/Trae. 

There's nothing wrong with the defense or the toughness of that team.  We got 3 head cases but... Trae has to keep them in line. 

The bench is devastated.    Aholi/Aj/Lee/JJ/OO

I won't balk too much.    We'd have no excuses.

4 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

Positionless basketball. If Ayton can bring some range and spacing there's no reason him and OO can't coexist on the offensive end.

OO brings too much intensity on the defensive side of the ball to limit him to a backup role. We need him out there guarding Giannis and Embiid.

If we get Simmons, then you can cancel OO being a starter. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

Ayton is making 30 per and is not known to have high basketball character. He is talented though.

If this fantasy were to happen, the only place that we're hurting is on the defensive end.. and that's something that Nate can coach away?

Ayton/Simmons/Crowder/DJM/Trae...  actually may not be a bad rebounding team.  I can see DJM and Simmon snatching rebounds.   Defensively, that team is not so bad either. 

Plus.. Simmons would never get cussed out for not taking the easy shot. 

We'd probably finish games with OO at PF since he can hit free throws. 

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Nah.  Remember Phoenix made him go out and find a deal. 

It was a smart decision.  Giving him a rookie max deal would make him both more expensive and less desirable as a trade asset.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Diesel said:
13 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

If we get Simmons, then you can cancel OO being a starter. 

Agreed. I believe there is interest in Simmons, I just don't buy the fit and assume calmer heads will prevail and the trade won't happen.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Trying not to get sucked into the What-Trade-Is-Next black hole...

Reminding myself just how many posts-o-mine went into last summer's forever discussion...

Remembering just how many different trade scenarios came up even before DJ's did...

Then, remembering how long the DJ trade idea was on the table before the eventual climactic event...

And even then, remembering that we didn't even know all there was to know at even that point, not realizing how strong the motivation would be to deal with the payroll side of things.

I'll say this much... if you are one of those people who dearly want to see a trade occur, you should be cheering against this team continuing to perform well. The longer this roster would continue to post Ws, the more difficult it becomes to make a deal that isn't so one-sided for the Hawks as to be insane for another team to consider.

(Feels like I should say.... not saying they will continue to post Ws. Saying what the consequences are of them continuing to post Ws.)

• Like 2

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

What have Jokic and Morant to disrupt their teams, coach, or the front office?

Jokic was suspended for nearly breaking a players back. He had a few seasons showing up overweight and out of shape. Morant stays engaging social media and misses a lot of games with wild play. 

I don’t think we need any major moves.  Our starting lineup is good, and is starting to gel (albeit a but inconsistent). I think it’s our bench that needs major improvements. I think we should find trades for Bogi and JHol, and even add some 2nd rounders to get 2 or 3 decent back ups. 

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I'll talk about it...I was trying to keep a low profile since I don't get much these days and have been on the board less, doing work stuff more.

Per the old source who was most accurate the last 2 years, he says there is a proposed deal in place that was waiting on Clint's health.  I questioned it but when I trade machined it, the salaries matched exactly and the trade seems like a win for both clubs, better fits. I can see both teams benefitting.  Crowder and Ayton both would benefit from a change of scenery. The only thing that gives me pause is them putting another giant salary next to Collins/Young/Murray.

image.thumb.png.a19079dee6abb4749498eb652022905b.png

Since I got some secondary source confirmation from @Sothron, I'd bump this to a 50-60% likely rumor.  This doesn't mean it will get done or these are the final pieces. @NBASupes couldn't confirm and that bothers me a bit. He has some west coast insight.

The thing is, its early in this trade deadline season and a lot of teams are feeling each other out.  We might get outbid or someone might come in and outbid Phoenix. But a framework was discussed per the source and something along the lines of "lets revisit this once Capela proves he's healthy."

Well dang that's pretty good.  Seems like it's in our favor.  Clint is a big lose but Ayton is a huge talent with a lot of upside.  

• Like 1

Man i would love to see Collins and Ayton together.  Ressler probably isn't willing to pay for it, but they are a great fit.  Both can shoot, both can play the PNR.  Trae/DJ would have 2 lob threats and the floor is spaced out extremely well.  Solid defense and rebounding also.  

If Collins departs, we could start OO or Crowder depending on matchups.  I would lean towards OO since we are already getting killed on the boards, if Crowder replaces JC at the 4 we get worse.  OO will hurt spacing, but at least he can shoot FTs and his jumper has improved this year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sothron said:

So I'll post the rumor here with the blessing of the guy that first brought it up. I'll give what details I can.

Hawks trade:

Clint Capela

Bogi

Justin Holliday

Hawks receive:

Deandre Ayton

Jae Crowder

Damion Lee

I had heard from my own sources sometime in mid Dec or so that Bogi for Crowder was being discussed. Then the talks apparently grew from there. We almost did the Capela for Ayton trade in the offseason as a sign and trade but Trae vetoed the trade. 

From what I have been told Trae now values overall talent more than individual friendships. He wants to win.  Having Ayton is an improvement over Capela. Crowder is a starting level PF or at least a very good rotation player. He can play either PF or SF. He also doesn't care about his touches in an offense.

I know what you are asking. What about JC? This is separate from that talk. Utah is trying to get JC but I'm hearing the two more likely places are Indiana for Duarte and two protected firsts. The other place is a JC for Simmons swap. 

If we landed Simmons our starting five would be:

Trae

DJM

Hunter

Simmons

Ayton

If we trade for Duarte/two firsts we would look like this:

Trae

DJM

Hunter

Crowder

Ayton

I have not heard from I am about to say. Just using my logical deduction facilities here. If we make the PHX trade there's no way JC can stay on this roster. I mean he COULD stay and we could bring Crowder off the bench. But if JC is not used enough now I can't imagine how few touches he would get with Ayton whose a legit 20 ppg center if you get him the ball on this team. 

Plus there's the salaries to consider beyond this season.

I think the two trades would be virtually dependent on each other. We get better and younger at center with Ayton. Do we then flip Ayton and OO in the offseason to try and get Embiid or KAT? Not if we get Simmons because of the max contract rules on a team limit. But if we don't get Simmons? Ayton and OO sound more interesting to me if I'm either of those teams at least Philly. 

If we did make the PHX trade though I have to think the plan is to keep those guys, work out an extension with Crowder if he plays well here and that's our team going forwards into next season. At least with those players. JC can be swapped for either LT relief and two firsts or you swing him to the Nets for Trae's buddy Ben Simmons.

So that's the big trade we've been talking about last night and this morning. Capela/Bogi/Justin gone and Ayton/Crowder/Lee brought back in.

Thanks for sharing. 

I somewhat expected this to be a thing. It makes too much sense for both teams. PHO especially... Ayton doesn't want to be there and Jae doesn't want to be there and refuses to play. Anything is better than that and Clint/CP3 have history together. We also want out of Bogi's final year because the Ressler's love money more than basketball. 

• Like 3