• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Phoenix may have burnt some bridges here and with other teams in the league.

Well, it is kinda "what the hell" moment for them anyhow... so why not... the entire front office is all getting fired anyway if this doesn't work out well, right? 🙂

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Per the guy, we aren't the only one they were trying to leverage to work a better deal with Brooklyn.

Funny, maybe only to me...

When one searches for a GIF to illustrate "it's only natural," one finds a lot of women disrobing up top.

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

we always seem to get shafted.

At some point, we need to use it against folks that are trying to use us.

5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

image.png

Sell the Cam Thomas hype.  He's not getting that role or those shots here.

Edited by kg01
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Per the guy, we had other deals in place during this time but held off as they really felt they could get a deal done with Phoenix and may have ruined our other big deals.

Any idea what there other deals were? Are they still viable?

Just now, sturt said:

@bleachkit nothing to see here. 😉🙂😄😛

Look at you, you liked about sobriety. You are hopped up on caffeine Stu… YOU NEED HELP! @kg01 If Stu and I go missing it’s prolly cuz we went to Colombia 🇨🇴 to get …coffee! :er:

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

Funny, maybe only to me...

When one searches for a GIF to illustrate "it's only natural," one finds a lot of women disrobing up top.

Post it I don’t believe you… :batman:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

So as I correctly surmised, we were outbid for Kevin Durant. I'm really good at this Sturt. 

I also called PHX as the team with the best package.  High five, bleach.  Hi five.

Oh and that thudding sound is from MIN after they traded all that jazz to UTA for Nobert.

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, thecampster said:

So a bit of background.  I was given info early yesterday that I posted in the insider private message.  Very cryptic, something was going down.

Message this morning from the same guy.... Phoenix F*#$ed us!

I now have a bit to go on. 

Atlanta and Phoenix stayed engaged on the Clint/Bogi deal that they revised multiple times with Phoenix who kept hedging on Bogi and his knee health.  At some point, they reworked it including Collins and removing Bogi....pieces from Phoenix changed a bit as well but included Ayton coming here and there was a 3rd team involved which is why he couldn't give me details.  The deal was evolving and we were going to get 2 protected 1sts in the process and take their Crowder problem.  The Hawks were reluctant and trying to drive up the price, down their send price. 

It seems, Phoenix was playing us the whole time trying to leverage our deal to get Brooklyn to drop their demand for 4 1sts.  

At the same time, Brooklyn was trying to see if there was something to be worked to get JC.  Phoenix stopped trying to withhold the 4th 1st when they realized they could lose out on both the Atlanta deal and the Brooklyn deal.  

Per the guy, we had other deals in place during this time but held off as they really felt they could get a deal done with Phoenix and may have ruined our other big deals. Phoenix may have burnt some bridges here and with other teams in the league. Per the guy, we aren't the only one they were trying to leverage to work a better deal with Brooklyn.

Lastly, Durant drove the Irving trade, not Irving trade drove the Durant deal. Per the guy, Irving's trade demand was in relation to learning KD was being moved.  He felt betrayed by the Nets who sold him on the idea they were giving he and Durant a shot to win a chip.

It sucks and I get that the team wouldn't like it.  But at the same time, this sure seems like something that should be expected and pretty commonplace when you have a captive market with only a handful of buyers and sellers.  It should be expected that other teams are just using us to drive up offers just like we should use them to drive up offers for our own advantage.  There's no loyalty in the NBA and shouldn't be any sense of "I can't negotiate with you because I'm already negotiating with them."  At least in my opinion.  Maybe this is lesson learned for a relatively young and inexperienced FO. 

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

An update I've received is Brooklyn is selling Crowder and Ben Simmons. But they are buyers for OG or Siakam. This could be huge. 

And Toronto hasn't already hung up the phone on them?  How stupid does Brooklyn think the rest of the league (outside of Phoenix) is? 

Oops.  I think I misread this as trading Crowder and Simmons for OG or Siakam.  

Edited by Watchman
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

Bleach called it. Totally.

On 2/6/2023 at 7:38 PM, bleachkit said:

They aren't trading KD. And even if they did, other teams could blow our offer out of the water. 

(ie, that was the Bic lighter moment in our recent discourse.)

Look, I wasn't going to get into it, but the mock victory lap begs for some context.

Lesson probably not learned, but if ya wanna know why it's good to couch your comments in some degree of intellectual humility like that you might not  have it exactly correct? Yeah. Call it semantics, but I call it talking like you know you're just a regular person who gets some things right, gets some things wrong.