• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Spurs

lethalweapon3

9 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

Despite what his numbers suggest, Trae will never be an all time great.

If he wasn't playing in this offensive era he wouldn't even be viewed as highly as he is now.

Not that it's just his fault. A coaching change solved nothing. Whatever issues Nate had, this team is losing because they just don't have what it takes.

I've been saying this for awhile. This team has severe fit issues. That's not all that easy to fix. That's usually GM based. Even though we aren't spamming no more, offensive consistency is still a massive issue with this team.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, JTB said:

Murray had some clutch end of game shots for us this season but lately for whatever reason Murray has been awful offensively.

Lets be honest..

We gave up three firsts for a fraud just because the PG likes him.

And the PG isn't the Superstar player he thinks he is IMO.  Talented as hell, but is still an idiot in crunchtime in year 5.. When we go up BIG, instead of playing smart and closing the game out, it's usually stat pad and frontrunning time..(he and Murray both)

That is why every player on this roster should be up for grabs...Except for maybe the younguns with upside(AJ/JJ/OO)

We need to get a real Superstar here. 

And after sleeping on it (Quin closing with the starters which I thought was insane at the time)

I’m guessing he is just giving the "core" of this team an opportunity to show who they are.(or arent)

He’s going to take his best 8 (or 9) on any given night and see what they’re capable of.

If they’re not capable of securing a playoff spot, then so be it.

Just part of the evaluation process.

Smart move on his part..

Next season cant get here fast enough..

Edited by terrell

12 hours ago, Sothron said:

After a season of horrible losses we've finally found the literal worst loss of the season. Absolutely mind boggling we lost this game. 83 points in the first half and the second half we didn't score as much as EITHER the first or second quarter. Unreal. Did I mention the Spurs have the NBA's worst defense too? 

Of the season?

That was the worst loss in a few years at least imo..

80 points in the 1st half and lose the damn game.. Geez..

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I don't know about "no heart", but we get outscrapped way too often.  And more often than not, that goes on our frontcourt.

Our backcourt is dependent upon to make shots or get others easier looks.  But our toughness comes from our frontline.

So if people say we're soft or have no heart, look no further than the frontcourt.

Add in Dre too.. Soft as Charmin...

So our starting 5 is 2 small guards(one who never gets to the FT line) and 3 soft(weak) frontline players(that cant dribble or pass).. smh

Edited by terrell

• Moderators

We didn't bring Quin here to tank and he wouldn't have taken the job if he didn't think we had the talent to win.   We're building around Trae or we're tanking.   There is no other option.  This season we have sucked for a variety of reasons.  All the players deserve blame for it.  But having an ineffective frontcourt has doomed us.   Yeah Trae/DJ/Hunter have had their hand in our suckage but we have to have 4s and 5s that make a difference.  JC and Cap have struggled this season.  OO has come on pretty good but he's an energy guy at this point.  And JJ has shown glimpses but is still effectively a rookie. 

I fully expect we go after some some frontcourt vets in the offseason.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, terrell said:

Lets be honest..

We gave up three firsts for a fraud just because the PG likes him.

And the PG isn't the Superstar player he thinks he is IMO.  Talented as hell, but is still an idiot in crunchtime in year 5.. When we go up BIG, instead of playing smart and closing the game out, it's usually stat pad and frontrunning time..(he and Murray both)

That is why every player on this roster should be up for grabs...Except for maybe the younguns with upside(AJ/JJ/OO)

We need to get a real Superstar here. 

And after sleeping on it (Quin closing with the starters which I thought was insane at the time)

I’m guessing he is just giving the "core" of this team an opportunity to show who they are.(or arent)

He’s going to take his best 8 (or 9) on any given night and see what they’re capable of.

If they’re not capable of securing a playoff spot, then so be it.

Just part of the evaluation process.

Smart move on his part..

Next season cant get here fast enough..

We finished last season with the obvious notion that we needed more talent on our roster.  Adding a young All-Star is a natural next step.  Why would anyone think the only reason we acquired him was because Trae liked him?  There are always a limited number of talented young players who are available.  While I had some reservations about the trade, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be the type of move that a GM would make regardless of Trae’s own relationship with DM.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Definitely not worse than the Miami game about 3 weeks ago, but it's definitely top 3.

Trae when he hears the word Miami

meme-scared.gif.76a248bb8f655b3bd153f302795a4837.gif

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We didn't bring Quin here to tank and he wouldn't have taken the job if he didn't think we had the talent to win.   We're building around Trae or we're tanking.   There is no other option.  This season we have sucked for a variety of reasons.  All the players deserve blame for it.  But having an ineffective frontcourt has doomed us.   Yeah Trae/DJ/Hunter have had their hand in our suckage but we have to have 4s and 5s that make a difference.  JC and Cap have struggled this season.  OO has come on pretty good but he's an energy guy at this point.  And JJ has shown glimpses but is still effectively a rookie. 

I fully expect we go after some some frontcourt vets in the offseason.  

If we trade Trae, another alternative could be trading him for someone around whom we would build.  He should command a very meaningful return.

That said, I have zero expectation that we will trade Trae.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, AHF said:

If we trade Trae, another alternative could be trading him for someone around whom we would build.  He should command a very meaningful return.

That said, I have zero expectation that we will trade Trae.

Yeah but i can't think of a single trade in that regard that would get us that player.   Unless we strike gold on some unheralded future star, but that's just tanking really.   What are the possibilities, even in fantasy land?  SGA, Giddy, Zion, Paolo, Lavine, Cade, Ant.   All of those either won't happen or would be dumb moves for us.   

11 hours ago, Nash said:

I am not saying that Hawks need to give up on D. They simply don't have good defensive players so they can't win with D. They can't limit teams below 100 points. On the other hand they have elite offensive players that can outscore anybody and they're not using them properly. Once the offense starts clicking on all cylinders, defense will improve immediately. Look at Kings. Look at Nuggets. Nuggets have Murray who is the worst defensive guard in the league. Worse than Trea. They have MPJ who gets lost in every single rotation and can't remember any defensive scheme.  They have Jokic who can't jump 5 inches, slow legs etc..They have the worst bench in the entire nba that manages to be -15 every game in 10-12 minutes played. But hey, starters outscore opponents by 20 every game and they're leading the west for the entire season. They're also fun to watch. Hawks were fun to watch 2 years ago. I couldn't wait for games to start. This year the team is finally healthy but I want to vomit almost every game. Unleash your ofense and tune defensive along the way. Use what you have and not what you think you have

Been saying this for the longest.... 

We blasted the Sixers and played well vs Bucks during our run with Trae Bogi Huerter as the backcourt.. None are known for Defense.. lol

Dre is useful vs certain teams, dont get me wrong, but He, JC, and CC not being able to dribble, pass, or shoot 3's with consistency is killer on offense.. Especially with Mid range Murray on the team....

Edited by terrell

9 hours ago, BudBall said:

I keep thinking about the Murray trade. I get the idea, but it wasn't worth it for a fringe all-star like him. We are kind of boned with the contracts we have, I don't see how we can drastically improve this team. 

Gotta trade Murray JC and CC somehow..

I mean how much worse would we be with Bogi or AJ at the 2, JJ or Bey at the 4, and OO at the 5?  Not including the assets we get from moving them...

Edited by terrell

This is just false. Trae's skill alone makes him a potential all-time great.  Trae could literally play in any era, because he does have the toughness to take the physical punishment. 

He had a horrible game today. He deserves a lot of the blame for what happened in the 4th quarter.  But it's just curious that none of these "hot takes" have surfaced in the past 2+ weeks, when he's been playing great basketball.

Just about every star in this league needs a 2nd guy that has the ability to take over the lead role.  And you also need a team that does all of the little things around that star, to make the entire group cohesive.

We're a .500 ballclub and we play like one.  We can beat the top team in the league, and lose to a bottom feeder the next night.

Like he said, he'll probably be all time great on stats(scoring and assist numbers), but he may never be considered an alltime great player by his peers...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sothron said:

It does bother me as a fan and long time poster that we have posters that literally say shit when we have good games or when Trae has a good game for example. They say nothing. We lose or Trae has a bad game and suddenly its the end of the world as we know it. 

I mean surely we know that one game is not a season and even all time greats have bad games. It happens. Trae's great to good games far outnumber his bad games. Just using him for the most glaring example. 

This was a terrible if not epic loss tonight. We should be 41-30 if we had just beat the terrible teams on our schedule this year. But we didn't and we are not. This is the most mid team I think I've ever seen the Hawks field. One night we're good, one night we're trash and some nights we're in between. Mid, mid, mid. 

Trae was due a bad shooting night.. I for one said that early in the game.. Especially when I saw he was questionable..He always plays bad when listed on the injury report.. All of our players do..... He had been playing so well lately.. Hopefully he was just hampered...  He probably shouldve just taken the day off.. That shit was UGLY..

Edited by terrell

9 minutes ago, terrell said:

Like he said, he'll probably be all time great on stats(scoring and assist numbers), but he may never be considered an alltime great player by his peers...

This site has a difficult time realizing that. Then again, this is the same site that does what it does to Trae to others all of the time. People always have an affinity to who they are attached to.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, terrell said:

Of the season?

That was the worst loss in a few years at least imo..

80 points in the 1st half and lose the damn game.. Geez..

The Houston loss earlier in the season was also particularly awful.  Similar situation where the Hawks were up comfortably and could not close out a terrible team.  But given the point of the season we are now at, where wins are so important, this one is tough to stomach.  

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, AHF said:

We finished last season with the obvious notion that we needed more talent on our roster.  Adding a young All-Star is a natural next step.  Why would anyone think the only reason we acquired him was because Trae liked him?  There are always a limited number of talented young players who are available.  While I had some reservations about the trade, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be the type of move that a GM would make regardless of Trae’s own relationship with DM.

The GM at the time didnt want to make the deal

WOW!   What did Quin learn?  We all know that answer.

When the Hawks had 8o points we should have known that something bad was sure to follow.  Pop made the adjustments necessary.  His players got very hot and the Hawks went ice cold.

Trae needs to shut his tater hole.  He talks too much crap to the officials.  This young man needs to grow up and quit acting like a spoiled brat!  

Quin learned what this starting five are capable of.  Scoring great in the 1st half.  Blowing everything later.

Am I suprised by the loss?  Not really.  This is who we are.  My great suprise was how easy the Spurs made it look all the second half.

:smug:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

ust about every star in this league needs a 2nd guy that has the ability to take over the lead role. 

This....

We have been doing this thing with Smoke and Mirrors.   We should have gotten Spyda Mitchell this summer.   Quin reunited with Mitchell with Trae... we'd be outstanding.   We went with DJ.. who is not a bad player... he's just fallen into a slump.   Something that we don't have the luxury for.   I think he will pull out of it but I want to know if he knows his role. 

Not stated in a mean spirited way.. but stated in a It's hard to see what your role should be way. 

• Like 1