• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Spurs

lethalweapon3

15 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Star players always force things in the clutch.  But star players also make tough shots and make plays in the clutch.  Trae did just that on Friday night.  He didn't do it tonight.

As for the rest of the team, who has really came through in the clutch with their offense?

That's why I think Quin needs to let Bogi be a part of the closing group, even if it hurts us on defense. 

Murray had some clutch end of game shots for us this season but lately for whatever reason Murray has been awful offensively.

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Sothron said:

After a season of horrible losses we've finally found the literal worst loss of the season. Absolutely mind boggling we lost this game. 83 points in the first half and the second half we didn't score as much as EITHER the first or second quarter. Unreal. Did I mention the Spurs have the NBA's worst defense too? 

The players simply dont care. They do not care at all about how they play. Uncoachable, immature, unserious. That's what these guys are. That is exactly why blowing this whole thing up in the offseason is definitely an option imo.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@NBASupes who do you like in the 10-14 range of the upcoming draft?

usually I follow college a lot closer but u haven’t paid much attention this year outside of the top 3-5 guys.

you’re one of the few who appears to be paying attention so I’m interested in who you like for the hawks in the 10-14 lottery range.

Despite what his numbers suggest, Trae will never be an all time great.

If he wasn't playing in this offensive era he wouldn't even be viewed as highly as he is now.

Not that it's just his fault. A coaching change solved nothing. Whatever issues Nate had, this team is losing because they just don't have what it takes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

Team has no heart.  End of story.  

I don't know about "no heart", but we get outscrapped way too often.  And more often than not, that goes on our frontcourt.

Our backcourt is dependent upon to make shots or get others easier looks.  But our toughness comes from our frontline.

So if people say we're soft or have no heart, look no further than the frontcourt.

• Like 2

If Trea didn't play with one arm and Bogi on one leg this team would have ended up in the NBA finals. Delusion that Dre is a good defensive player is beyond belief. The guy who can't rebound, has less steals and blocks than Bogi,  who is not a good defenfender, speaks enough about Dre's defense. Same way as good D sparks O, the elite O sparks good D. Without being able to hit 2-3 3's in a row you will never spark the D. Expecting that this team will win games with their D, with Trea, Dre and Collins as starters on the floor and then with Bogi, Bay and AJ as bench guys is laughable. This team has good offensive players that can outscore opponents and they're not using their power.  Look at Kings,  the worst franchise in nba history. With Monk, Trey Lyles etc...they outscore everybody. You score 170 on them, they score 175 on you. They're fun to watch even if they're 1st round exit. Hawks are not fun to watch at all this season

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

Despite what his numbers suggest, Trae will never be an all time great.

If he wasn't playing in this offensive era he wouldn't even be viewed as highly as he is now.

Not that it's just his fault. A coaching change solved nothing. Whatever issues Nate had, this team is losing because they just don't have what it takes.

This is just false. Trae's skill alone makes him a potential all-time great.  Trae could literally play in any era, because he does have the toughness to take the physical punishment. 

He had a horrible game today. He deserves a lot of the blame for what happened in the 4th quarter.  But it's just curious that none of these "hot takes" have surfaced in the past 2+ weeks, when he's been playing great basketball.

Just about every star in this league needs a 2nd guy that has the ability to take over the lead role.  And you also need a team that does all of the little things around that star, to make the entire group cohesive.

We're a .500 ballclub and we play like one.  We can beat the top team in the league, and lose to a bottom feeder the next night.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nash said:

If Trea didn't play with one arm and Bogi on one leg this team would have ended up in the NBA finals. Delusion that Dre is a good defensive player is beyond belief. The guy who can't rebound, has less steals and blocks than Bogi,  who is not a good defenfender, speaks enough about Dre's defense.

Same way as good D sparks O, the elite O sparks good D. Without being able to hit 2-3 3's in a row you will never spark the D. Expecting that this team will win games with their D, with Trea, Dre and Collins as starters on the floor and then with Bogi, Bay and AJ as bench guys is laughable.

This team has good offensive players that can outscore opponents and they're not using their power.  Look at Kings,  the worst franchise in nba history. With Monk, Trey Lyles etc...they outscore everybody. You score 170 on them, they score 175 on you. They're fun to watch even if they're 1st round exit. Hawks are not fun to watch at all this season

So are you suggesting that the Hawks simply try to outscore everyone, and not worry about defense?

If that's the case, we need to replace Collins and Capela in the closing lineup, and play Bogi and Okongwu to close the game.

We'd have to hope that Dre provided some sort of rebounding at the 4, or Murray and Trae crashed the boards on defense, without giving up long rebounds that lead to 3s.

I am not saying that Hawks need to give up on D. They simply don't have good defensive players so they can't win with D. They can't limit teams below 100 points. On the other hand they have elite offensive players that can outscore anybody and they're not using them properly. Once the offense starts clicking on all cylinders, defense will improve immediately. Look at Kings. Look at Nuggets. Nuggets have Murray who is the worst defensive guard in the league. Worse than Trea. They have MPJ who gets lost in every single rotation and can't remember any defensive scheme.  They have Jokic who can't jump 5 inches, slow legs etc..They have the worst bench in the entire nba that manages to be -15 every game in 10-12 minutes played. But hey, starters outscore opponents by 20 every game and they're leading the west for the entire season. They're also fun to watch. Hawks were fun to watch 2 years ago. I couldn't wait for games to start. This year the team is finally healthy but I want to vomit almost every game. Unleash your ofense and tune defensive along the way. Use what you have and not what you think you have

• Like 2

• Premium Member
53 minutes ago, Sothron said:

It does bother me as a fan and long time poster that we have posters that literally say shit when we have good games or when Trae has a good game for example. They say nothing. We lose or Trae has a bad game and suddenly its the end of the world as we know it. 

I mean surely we know that one game is not a season and even all time greats have bad games. It happens. Trae's great to good games far outnumber his bad games. Just using him for the most glaring example. 

This was a terrible if not epic loss tonight. We should be 41-30 if we had just beat the terrible teams on our schedule this year. But we didn't and we are not. This is the most mid team I think I've ever seen the Hawks field. One night we're good, one night we're trash and some nights we're in between. Mid, mid, mid. 

Tonight is a perfect example of that....Highest scoring first half of the season..lowest scoring second half of the season.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4729hadjdkrais5rch3f

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sothron said:

It does bother me as a fan and long time poster that we have posters that literally say shit when we have good games or when Trae has a good game for example. They say nothing. We lose or Trae has a bad game and suddenly its the end of the world as we know it. 

I mean surely we know that one game is not a season and even all time greats have bad games. It happens. Trae's great to good games far outnumber his bad games. Just using him for the most glaring example. 

This was a terrible if not epic loss tonight. We should be 41-30 if we had just beat the terrible teams on our schedule this year. But we didn't and we are not. This is the most mid team I think I've ever seen the Hawks field. One night we're good, one night we're trash and some nights we're in between. Mid, mid, mid. 

Chalk it up to being the most mid mid team ever. There are some players that really rise to the occasion against certain teams, others stay flat defensively or have no strengths. I saw a worn down Hawks in the 2nd half that got too elated at their first half offensive. There is a regression to the mean in the NBA and we fit that.

GSW is like 7-29 on the road and 29-7 at home. Should they blow it up?

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1