• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Spurs

lethalweapon3

3 minutes ago, Packfill said:

The Houston loss earlier in the season was also particularly awful.  Similar situation where the Hawks were up comfortably and could not close out a terrible team.  But given the point of the season we are now at, where wins are so important, this one is tough to stomach.  

Yeah we never recovered from that collapse in Houston after all of the Trae Murray front running.. smh

But yet Trae still wore his "King of NY" sneakers right after that, only to get spanked by the Knicks...

This season has been embarrassing as a Hawks fan...

• Like 2

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, terrell said:

We gave up three firsts for a fraud just because the PG likes him.

Another bad take by you. 

When you look at DJ on paper, coming out of last season..   He was a Great OG.. who was a very good defender.. led the league in steals.   Our problems were:

1. Defense. 
  2. 2ndary Ball handler for the offense. 

This has nothing to do with Trae liking him.   Hell, Trae liked Spyda Mitchell who was also available.   I think he and mitchell are closer.   BUT...  The defense and size was something we couldn't pass up. 

It still can work.  We just need creativeness in our offense/defense to make it work.   83 points in a half suggests that offensively, we can do it... It's just that I dont think we have enough plays. 

Defense has been our big question mark.  Defense, we just have a lack of overall effort.  We look tired out there. 

9 minutes ago, Diesel said:

This....

We have been doing this thing with Smoke and Mirrors.   We should have gotten Spyda Mitchell this summer.   Quin reunited with Mitchell with Trae... we'd be outstanding.   We went with DJ.. who is not a bad player... he's just fallen into a slump.   Something that we don't have the luxury for.   I think he will pull out of it but I want to know if he knows his role. 

Not stated in a mean spirited way.. but stated in a It's hard to see what your role should be way. 

I was screaming for Mitchell, but everybody said Murray was the better "fit" because of his Defense.. lol

Hawks jumped the gun when Murray became available.. 

All we had to do was wait another week or so.. smh

Edited by terrell

7 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Another bad take by you. 

When you look at DJ on paper, coming out of last season..   He was a Great OG.. who was a very good defender.. led the league in steals.   Our problems were:

1. Defense. 
  2. 2ndary Ball handler for the offense. 

This has nothing to do with Trae liking him.   Hell, Trae liked Spyda Mitchell who was also available.   I think he and mitchell are closer.   BUT...  The defense and size was something we couldn't pass up. 

It still can work.  We just need creativeness in our offense/defense to make it work.   83 points in a half suggests that offensively, we can do it... It's just that I dont think we have enough plays. 

Defense has been our big question mark.  Defense, we just have a lack of overall effort.  We look tired out there. 

Has nothing to do with Trae liking him? Really? They were tweeting shit weeks before it happened.. lol. Trae really pushed for Murray deal.. Nate mentioned it every chance he got.. 

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We're building around Trae or we're tanking.   There is no other option.

Trading Trae for young talent and picks is the other option... and you can do this without tanking because we would have other teams picks to use rather than our own.  You can do a modest rebuild with a winning culture from day 1.  I'm not suggesting this is best course, but I do think it's a possibility we should be prepared for given the FO turmoil, bringing Quin in mid season, and the media smoke around Trae.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Trading Trae for young talent and picks is the other option... and you can do this without tanking because we would have other teams picks to use rather than our own.  You can do a modest rebuild with a winning culture from day 1.  I'm not suggesting this is best course, but I do think it's a possibility we should be prepared for given the FO turmoil, bringing Quin in mid season, and the media smoke around Trae.

I just want what’s best for our Hawks - long term.

I think the lottery would help more than an embarrassing loss in the play-in as a 9 or 10 seed.

Thus, I might start pulling for us us to tank and/or for Pacers, Wizards, and Bulls to drop us to 11 or 12.  lol

We’re just 3 up on being out of play-in.

Last nights performance has me thinking this might be Quin’s master plan in any case. 

No way you close that game with the starters if you care about winning and losing this season...

Im giving Quin the benefit of the doubt that he's just in evaluation mode for the rest of the year....

Edited by terrell
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Trading proven players for young talent and picks is the definition of tanking right?

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Trading proven players for young talent and picks is the definition of tanking right?

No, tanking implies intentionally losing (through roster construction or otherwise) for a better draft pick.  We wouldn't be intentionally losing in the scenario I laid out.  It would be a rebuild, retooling the roster construction and fit.

3 hours ago, terrell said:

I was screaming for Mitchell, but everybody said Murray was the better "fit" because of his Defense.. lol

Hawks jumped the gun when Murray became available.. 

All we had to do was wait another week or so.. smh

Mitchell was a poor fit too next to Trae. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, terrell said:

Yeah we never recovered from that collapse in Houston after all of the Trae Murray front running.. smh

But yet Trae still wore his "King of NY" sneakers right after that, only to get spanked by the Knicks...

This season has been embarrassing as a Hawks fan...

No. The issue with this team has nothing to do with any losses. It's simply fit. Murray shouldn't be a SG anymore but we all know that. We don't want to face the truth that we gotta make a decision of Murray or Trae but the issue is, we need a significant player in return. It's easier to get a significant player for Trae but one has to be available. 

While everyone has a million ideas, my guess is we do nothing unless a good deal appears.

I hope Houston gets Wemby and we offer them Griffin for Sengun. That would at least give us an offensive center who can also run the PnR and we can finally start Okongwu at the 4. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

No, tanking implies intentionally losing (through roster construction or otherwise) for a better draft pick.  We wouldn't be intentionally losing in the scenario I laid out.  It would be a rebuild, retooling the roster construction and fit.

Tomato - Tomato.   Trading vets for young players and draft picks is intentionally losing through roster construction.  I"m not saying it's a bad idea, and we can call it rebuild, retool or whatever, but this path 90% of the time leads to more losses in the short term.  

We have a team right now that has 6 of our top 10 players that were our own lottery picks.  And Trae is the only true star in the bunch.   Trading him to 'retool' or whatever will be starting over most likely.   We can hope we'll have a quick retool but I'm not seeing it.   I can't think of an example where that worked very quickly either.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AHF said:

We finished last season with the obvious notion that we needed more talent on our roster.  Adding a young All-Star is a natural next step.  Why would anyone think the only reason we acquired him was because Trae liked him?  There are always a limited number of talented young players who are available.  While I had some reservations about the trade, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be the type of move that a GM would make regardless of Trae’s own relationship with DM.

There were more that liked Murray than just Trae. That's why he's here. I still like Murray a lot more now than I did in SA. He's gotten a lot better. His role is just twice as hard here. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Mitchell was a poor fit too next to Trae. 

Yep, as much as I don't like how guard-heavy our spending is, Murray is at least a better fit than Mitchell.  But going all-in on two guards is just not a recipe long term imo... Houston almost made it work with CP3 and Harden, but they had perfect roster fit for that type of ball, and we aren't even close.  This offseason should be interesting.  We had a ton of flexibility last year that we no longer have after the Murray trade, so what we do going forward will really determine how I judge this FO regime.

I've already posted this.  Thought I might get run off.  No one said anything.  Did you miss it?

Trae, running his mouth to the officials is having the opposite affect than what he wants.  By all his yapping, he's turning the officials against him.  He really needs to shut up and stop acting like a spoiled brat!

Crying, being a tattle-tale was and never is a good look.  "Did you see what they did to me!"  Trae must grow up and act like an adult and not like a cry baby child.

Just two more Teck fouls and he sits out a game.  He should be ashamed of this.

🥲

• Like 2

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

I've already posted this.  Thought I might get run off.  No one said anything.  Did you miss it?

Trae, running his mouth to the officials is having the opposite affect than what he wants.  By all his yapping, he's turning the officials against him.  He really needs to shut up and stop acting like a spoiled brat!

Crying, being a tattle-tale was and never is a good look.  "Did you see what they did to me!"  Trae must grow up and act like an adult and not like a cry baby child.

Just two more Teck fouls and he sits out a game.  He should be ashamed of this.

🥲

I sometimes wish he'd quit complaining so much but he doesn't complain any more than tons of other guys in this league.   Because he isn't built like Lebron people seem to tolerate it less for some reason.  The league already changed the rulebook because he was getting to the line too much.  If officials can be "turned against him" then they shouldn't be officials.  

• Like 1