• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Hornets (7 PM EST) -- The Season Opener!

lethalweapon3

56 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Holy $hit are Smith n Wesson getting back together? This could be a glorious day in Squawkland. 🥳 DO IT! 😘 and make up life is short.

Aye, what's the deal with all the eastcoast rap resurgence.  I'm out here watching the new TMNT movie with kg04 and 05 and most of the music is late 90's-00's hip hop.  Don't get me wrong, I was bobbin my heat to Ante Up (MOP).

Any more references and that dude @MaceCase gon be out here doin' the rockaway.  Lean back .. lean back .. 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

It will take time. Old habits are hard to break. 

This is what seems the most obvious to me that so many folks are just ignoring.  Even Quin said it after the game, they slipped back into the old way because the new way isn't habitual yet.  They will get there but it's not going to be all sunshine and unicorns straight from the jump. 

I'll predict there's going to be some games where it all works for 4 quarters and they'll look like NBA Champs and then other games like last night where the results will look like trash even if the actual play isn't nearly as bad. The hope here is that by mid season we'll see far more new than old and the team will get rolling into the playoffs.   

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Packfill said:

My overreaction post from the first game is that Charlotte will be lucky to win 35 games this season, maybe far less as I see them unloading vets like Rozier at the deadline to pick up assets to build for the future around Melo, Williams and maybe Miller.  

It is one game but these are exactly the types of games - meaning against mediocre teams - the Hawks need to win if they want to rise above .500.

I don't think CHA will win 25, much less 35. It was a terrible loss last night.

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

The volatility of our shooting gives us a very high ceiling, and a very low floor.  Because of this, there are no guaranteed W's on our schedule even if a team is load managing it's top 4 players.  

The Hornets were very clearly the inferior team but we just couldn't make a damn shot.  I thought we got good looks for the most part, we only had 12 turnovers.  Should've been a fairly boring 10-15 point win if we just shot average.  

We will have plenty of these games this season.  Beat a top team, then lose to a bad team when we can't shoot.  Hopefully we minimize the amount of games where we shoot 10% from three.  

So it will be last season all over again, right?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

So it will be last season all over again, right?

I hope not.  We still barely lost and we shot 17% from three on the road.  If we shoot just 30% from three (still bad) i think we win pretty easily.  I can't see us shooting as bad as we did last night very often.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Plainview1981 said:

Part of it also is that when Trae came to the team there wasn't any expectations to win. So, him doing his Trae thing was fun. But yeah, teams have adjusted to Trae. Not to the extent that they will shut him down nightly or anything, but it doesn't feel like the Trae/Cap combo works aswell as it did a few years ago.

I do think Trae can benefit from a big man that can shoot, pass and display versatility. Could you imagine Trae and The Joker? Geez.lol

That's why I keep landing the plane with KAT. Sometimes you need someone take forces you to accept you can't stop what we are elite at doing. 

KAT is elite at PnRs. As is Trae. Capela is an elite PnR finisher but he's fairly limited outside of that and aside from movement whereas Towns also has movement and everything else to really force your hand for a defense. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, AHF said:

Quin ball has to become the default because otherwise we will be inclined to regress to Nate ball anytime the team is struggling.  It is easier for everyone to stay with Snyder's offense when the shots are falling and the true test is game like this where the team is struggling.  Trae is the single most important person to lead that effort.

This...all this!!!

6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

1/4 then once the NBA caught on, the 1/5 PnR was our bread and butter but the centers and PFs in this league have gotten so much better in terms of movement and defending PnRs. Games like last night made me instantly realize why I continue to preach the need for KAT for our squad. 

Sometimes you need a guy that's going to get his despite the defenses best efforts to shut it down. 

I really really like this roster. A lot more than some here do and I considered last year's squad to be the biggest disappointment from the Hawks, even bigger than the playoff guarantee Hawks. 

That said, man, I don't know of the fit between Murray and Trae. Most of the time, it looks bad. I almost rather see Bogi and Trae which hasn't always worked either. At this point, we need to get an elite 5 which is what Trae needs and just go from there. 

If we don't land KAT or Embiid. I think it's time to consider looking for a young stud for Trae. Maybe a trade of Donovan Mitchell for Trae. Murray and Mitchell will work a lot better than Murray and Trae. 

Cavs would never..

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

While Travis did love Trae, they did eventually fall out like Travis did with LP. Travis felt Trae reached his peak and wanted to move him for maximum draft assets, well getting that by Tony was next to impossible. Tony sees Trae as a cash baby as he should. He's doesn't mind trading Trae but he needs to see that this team will get better from it and become a contender. Travis didn't have any potential offers worth a damn as Trae trade value is good but not great. 

That really lead to the beginning of the end for Travis. Travis also didn't agree with the trade cost for Murray and didn't think it was a great fit. Things that's been said before on here. 

Traes peak was his 2nd season IMO..

He'll never duplicate those numbers imo.. Especially shooting %'s..

He's pretty much been a bricklayer and turnover machine ever since..

I hope he makes me eat crow, but I just dont see much more upside with his size...

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AtLaS said:

The volatility of our shooting gives us a very high ceiling, and a very low floor.  Because of this, there are no guaranteed W's on our schedule even if a team is load managing it's top 4 players.  

The Hornets were very clearly the inferior team but we just couldn't make a damn shot.  I thought we got good looks for the most part, we only had 12 turnovers.  Should've been a fairly boring 10-15 point win if we just shot average.  

We will have plenty of these games this season.  Beat a top team, then lose to a bad team when we can't shoot.  Hopefully we minimize the amount of games where we shoot 10% from three.  

All of the analytics have changed the game to where a lesser team can win if they get hot from three or if the other team goes cold.  

The Play In tournament also entices lesser teams to hang on to their best players or even make a trade to improve.  The league feels really volatile right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrell said:

Traes peak was his 2nd season IMO..

He'll never duplicate those numbers imo.. Especially shooting %'s..

He's pretty much been a bricklayer and turnover machine ever since..

I hope he makes me eat crow, but I just dont see much more upside with his size...

I think he can but some of this is not on Trae. The league just got a lot better at defending 4s and 5s and the requirements to play the 4 or 5 is much different than even when Trae came into the league. 

3 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

All of the analytics have changed the game to where a lesser team can win if they get hot from three or if the other team goes cold.  

The Play In tournament also entices lesser teams to hang on to their best players or even make a trade to improve.  The league feels really volatile right now.

Everyone is talented now. Everyone. 

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Looks like he didn't see OO to me...and I slowed it down to review.

He looks at him, turns his head and shakes it no. I'm not sure what you're seeing???  Second 5 he's looking right at OO, second 6 he turns his head left, OO's hand is outstretch, second 7, he shakes it no.

Edited by thecampster

3 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I like it honestly.  5 straight years, 5 different NBA champions.  Hopefully will be our turn soon.  I hope our best shot wasn't in 21, we really could have won it all if Trae didn't get hurt in game 3.  We were up 5 in the 4th quarter and he already had like 30+.  Would have went up 2-1, and we won game 4 on top of that.  We would've had 3 chances to eliminate them and we could've absolutely beat the Suns.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kg01 said:

Capela had some moments and did excellent work on the offensive boards when we needed it most.  But I think it's fair to want to see OO get more time.

Hunter seems to be in the same mode Collins was the past 2 years.  Just waiting to be moved.  There was a moment where it looked like Bey was in his way or maybe was in the wrong spot offensively.  Hunter basically stopped and seemed to spread is arms like 'dude whatchu doin?'  Did I imagine that?  Just struck me as terrible body language in the middle of a nip and tuck game.  He just stopped to complain as we had the ball.  Maybe Bey was in the wrong spot but atleast he played with effort the whole game.

To be clear, I'm not out on Hunter.  I just think we may have broken him with the trade tall the same way we broke Collins. 

OO be getting outplayed by 3rd string centers..He isnt the answer for us longterm in the middle.. Hes too damn samll, just like the backcourt IMO..

4 hours ago, kg01 said:

Ngl tho, last game had me wanting Bogi at the 2 for his shooting.  DJM be lookin' lost sometimes. 

Yep.. Murray was straight doodoo. Never liked the fit. 

Trae needs shooters around him to be most successful IMO, not dribble dribble mid range like Murray and Dre..

• Like 1