Official Game Thread: Pacers at Hawks -- IST Game #3

lethalweapon3

Just now, Diesel said:

From what standpoint?

I'm really not mad at that analogy for now because that team did have one good year where they won 50 games and should have went to the championship but lost to Boston in 7 in the 2nd round or something like that.  The difference is that we have better coaching and our highs are better than theirs.   Trae is better than Wall.  DJ is more competitive than Beal. 

I watched both players a lot. I lived in DC at that time and had season tickets. Prime Wall is better than any verison of Trae I've seen. 

DJ is better than that Beal but that Beal was a true 2 guard unlike Murray. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Whatever, I never said they were bad but go off. I'm just explaining the obvious verifiable fact that DJM and Trae have not been a championship-caliber pairing at any point in the last 80 games+, and they are both diminished versions of the players they were before DJM joined the team. This is not an opinion, it is a fact. 

I don't disagree. 

I believe that coaching has a lot to do with it. 

Under Nate.. the your turn, my turn offense showed no creativity and was a hindrance for both of them.  DJ never found his place and the ball stayed glued to Trae.  We haven't had that under Quin.   We're learning Quin's system but... we look much better in his system than in the Nate System. 

• Premium Member
Just now, Diesel said:

I don't disagree. 

I believe that coaching has a lot to do with it. 

Under Nate.. the your turn, my turn offense showed no creativity and was a hindrance for both of them.  DJ never found his place and the ball stayed glued to Trae.  We haven't had that under Quin.   We're learning Quin's system but... we look much better in his system than in the Nate System. 

I mean, I agree the offense will be better, but Nate's offense, for the record, wasn't bad. It was 7th in the NBA. (right now we are 6th). Assuming Trae returns at least to last year's form we should probably be top 5 maybe top 3 if he gets back to his peak form. But the issue isn't offense. We can't stop anyone. We haven't been able to stop anyone for around 170 games now. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

This is peak Trae Young. I haven't seen a verison better than this

Trae Young averaged 29ppg 9apg while shooting 46%/38% (60%TS) leading the Hawks to the #2 offensive rating in the NBA on a team where John Collins was the second leading scorer at 16ppg. He ranked second in the NBA in offensive Raptor and 12th in WAR that season. John Wall never did anything like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Trae Young averaged 29ppg 9apg while shooting 46%/38% (60%TS) leading the Hawks to the #2 offensive rating in the NBA on a team where John Collins was the second leading scorer at 16ppg. He ranked second in the NBA in offensive Raptor and 12th in WAR that season. John Wall never did anything like that.

Bro, no one cares about those numbers when he's a turnover machine with horrendous shot selection and woat defense. Bro was a chucking machine and got exposed viciously by Miami. 

This verison is easily better. Trae shot selection is actually decent now. He's not a turnover machine anymore. He's giving effort on defense. Come on man, ya'll live and die on stats that mean nothing. 

I watched Wall, he did a lot for winning ball on his team. Ya'll don't remember how good Wall used to be.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, NBASupes said:

Bro, no one cares about those numbers when he's a turnover machine with horrendous shot selection and woat defense. Bro was a chucking machine and got exposed viciously by Miami. 

This verison is easily better. Trae shot selection is actually decent now. He's not a turnover machine anymore. He's giving effort on defense. Come on man, ya'll live and die on stats that mean nothing. 

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Shooting 46%/38% isn't meaningless lmao. How many conference finals did John Wall make? Trae had an awful series against Miami, doesn't negate his fantastic regular season. Butler had an even worse series the year before, doesn't mean he is a bum. It's a five game sample. I'm not saying Trae Young was perfect, but he was a top 10 player that year, and better than John Wall ever has been. 

Just now, Atlantaholic said:

Shooting 46%/38% isn't meaningless lmao. How many conference finals did John Wall make? Trae had an awful series against Miami, doesn't negate his fantastic regular season. Butler had an even worse series the year before, doesn't mean he is a bum. It's a five game sample. I'm not saying Trae Young was perfect, but he was a top 10 player that year, and better than John Wall ever has been. 

Bro, you saying that like Trae wasn't a negative in two series with the Bucks and Sixers outside of game 1. Hawks won a game without him. 

Trae definitely helped but let's understand something, we had a deep squad and that helped us overall. I think some guys give Trae way too much credit when we had a really good team. We had peak Capela, good Gallo, Bogi, Kev, JC, Hunter for a series, etc. We had depth. 

• Like 1

The difference in this game seemed to be the athleticism of the Pacers u front court and the Pacers on  a whole.. 

My question is why Capela only plays 18 minutes, and what has happened to Griffin. Is he hurt? 

I'm ok with our back court but we need a stronger more athletic front court to really compete. With such a small back court we need  bigger more athletic front court players who can run,  jump, hit the boards and play defense.  Fix the front court and we are a different team.    Who and how we acquire that player or players is above my pay grade. I expect the Hawks will make a move by the trade deadline. 

Question, has DeAndre reached his ceiling? His lack of consistency is a real problem. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Quins, I thought Quin was a million times better than Nate. We still .500, we still play horrendous defense, and we got even more contracts locked in than we had previously. 

To be fair, this roster is too flawed.

It's less about how bad Snyder is and how bad this roster is. People just thought that he could cover this rosters flaws and he can't. Too many undersized players and bad defenders. But there is not even toughness to make up for the lack of size.

• Like 1

The team as constructed was not improved on the offseason.. 

Landry has made no effort to improve our defense and clearly this is the result. We don't need to be top 5 offensively if we could only have gotten 2-3 defensive stopping guys.

It's getting tiring watching us try and sustain offensive output at a high rate to win games.

I just finished watching the game and it’s 4:07 am… 

Great first half we couldn’t miss and Bogi was on it big time. Everybody was clicking.. then..

HUNTER. HE PLAYED FOR THE OTHER TEAM…IMG_1336.thumb.jpeg.520f5e6db69f834dbcea5892c9adc760.jpeg

lost on D above 👆🏿 

IMG_1335.thumb.jpeg.aab50cb25e41c5d1aa12c6c21b0b427f.jpeg

🤔 

IMG_1333.thumb.jpeg.07550595e7be71b59cbc40a67b3422ff.jpeg

bullied

IMG_1332.thumb.jpeg.9d486ca95daec8d0c355d8a6a5b7fa7a.jpeg

slippery

IMG_1324.thumb.jpeg.5707547985b568f4aee0fb122452d0a8.jpeg

JJ threw the pass short but no effort to retrieve a bit to at least put in effort.

NEGATED ALL THE GOOD..IMG_1334.thumb.png.a292ffe2ac41fcde56a6e80542d3d5ed.png

Trae passes Joe in 3’s made..

IMG_1328.thumb.png.c0487a5dd77338b298e78b49178d92e6.png

pass left right however you want it.

IMG_1326.thumb.png.ad4c52020873791684440a80b00b73ef.png

beauty..

IMG_1322.thumb.png.4c7bd06d586ad8c0fc69468dd267f2e9.png

Smitty reborn in Trae..

ONE GUY CAN LOSE A GAME FOR YOU EVEN IN TEAM SPORTS.

• Like 1

ONE GUY, HUNTER, lost the game for us, not on one play but he just sucked the life out of the team, the fans, prolly his own family. 

ONE OF THE MOST PATHETIC PERFORMANCES DISPLAYED BY A HAWK IN RECENT YEARS. @NBASupes even you can’t defend him anymore guy, his defense is trash, ball slips out of his hand.

Its like I tuned in to watch Hunter fumble and fck around with the ball 🏀 all night and play for the Pacers.

HUNTER GETS AN F- 

(I usually give F’d if it’s horrid but he went ahead and showed he gives even less fcks than I thought). 

I don’t even think he feels bad about it anymore. Sadly, it’s who he is now..

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

To elaborate: I guess my thesis is. Even if we upgrade our "weak links" say replace Hunter can Cap with better versions of themselves, add another backup C, play JJ at SF more etc... This team is probably not good enough to beat Boston - Philly - Nugs - Bucks in a 7 game series anyway. 

We can't even beat the Knicks... 

A few more games like this and we'll be competing against CHA/DET/WAs for top picks in next draft. 

• Haha 1