• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Sothron said:

Thanks for posting. 

Things I agree with in this video:

• DJ is a big problem fit-wise in this roster
  • Hunter's defense has been completely underwhelming since '21 (I think it's because his knee, he's not healthy out there)
  • Trae is having his best season - although I think this because of his defense primarily, not offensive stats
  • Nick/Tony meddling to even get DJ in the first place -- Schlenk would have never made that deal.  As much as I despise the contracts Schlenk was giving out, I always agreed with his vision of what the team should be around Trae.  

Things I disagree with:

• Bogi is on a team friendly deal(?).  Bogi is one of the worst defenders in the NBA, just paying for shooting -- it's a fair deal imo
  • AJ has been out primarily for personal reasons, doesn't seem like the video creator watches the Hawks
  • We should trade DJ for 50 cents on the dollar???? That makes no sense at all.  DJ doesn't fit with our team, but it's not like he regressed heavily or had some awful injury.  He will excel elsewhere.
  • Like 4

It's definitely understandable why people have a negative view point on our FO's ability to execute, but I do think there is a lot of sense to taking advantage of a seller's market with this roster in particular.  

To think positively, I said before that the Play In changed the dynamic of the league when it comes to asset hoarding.  It creates a scenario where fewer teams are willing to part with contributors and therefore creating a seller's market.  Teams try to improve to be a top seed, to get to the 4-6 seed and avoid the Play In, and then you have teams trying to make the Play In tournament.  

We got some good players that might get more of a return than we would expect, but only in this type of market.  Everyone feels burned by Collins, but trading some of these guys now could actually help us avoid a low return similar to we got by waiting too long to move JC.  Particularly Capela, Bogi, DJM, Hunter, and even Bey.  Those guys represent $100M+ in future commitments and they are such a flawed fit.  

Keep Trae+JJ+OO and bring back some decent players and picks via trade.  We go into the offseason with our own lotto pick, and more desirable pieces to make a trade for the top players available.  Good luck Jami Gertz in the lotto.  

37 minutes ago, AHF said:

As long as there is interest in Dejounte from other teams, there is zero reason to sell for cents on the dollar.  I don't see why there wouldn't be a market for him on his contract.

Bwhat if the hints are true that he signed the deal, in part, in exchange for them honoring preferred destinations?

Como se dice, hamstrung?

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

It's definitely understandable why people have a negative view point on our FO's ability to execute, but I do think there is a lot of sense to taking advantage of a seller's market with this roster in particular.  

To think positively, I said before that the Play In changed the dynamic of the league when it comes to asset hoarding.  It creates a scenario where fewer teams are willing to part with contributors and therefore creating a seller's market.  Teams try to improve to be a top seed, to get to the 4-6 seed and avoid the Play In, and then you have teams trying to make the Play In tournament.  

We got some good players that might get more of a return than we would expect, but only in this type of market.  Everyone feels burned by Collins, but trading some of these guys now could actually help us avoid a low return similar to we got by waiting too long to move JC.  Particularly Capela, Bogi, DJM, Hunter, and even Bey.  Those guys represent $100M+ in future commitments and they are such a flawed fit.  

Keep Trae+JJ+OO and bring back some decent players and picks via trade.  We go into the offseason with our own lotto pick, and more desirable pieces to make a trade for the top players available.  Good luck Jami Gertz in the lotto.  

Assuming we are looking to take advantage of the current market, we'll know in the next couple of months how well we did executing.  My level of confidence in the front office really doesn't matter.  It matters how they perform going forward.  I view us as being in a really pivotal position where if we miss the mark we could lose Trae and accelerate into a full rebuild despite the fact that we can't truly rebuild without access to our picks.  Hitting the mark on retooling is critical.  The team has talent but fully agree we are a flawed fit.  I hope Snyder is working hand in hand with Landry and Kyle on this (and that ownership lets them do their work).

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, SalvorMallow said:

What if we just reverse the trade? Send him to San Antonio for our picks/pick swap back. Would yall be OK with that? 

Sure if they send Devin Vassell back with them...lol

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

He's averaging 20/5/5 on solid efficiency, and on a reasonable deal. I'm not sure why there is a push to move him. We're having a tough season, it happens. No need to throw the baby out with the bath water though.

Have you watched tour games this year?  It's extremely clear there is no fit with Trae.  We're having a tough season that is a repeat of all the same issues as last year -- despite a new coach and system.  It's pretty clear DJ is not the defender we need to pair with Trae, so it has to be one or the other and the FO isn't going to trade Trae.  He's also our best value asset to improve the team or retool so it's pretty clear to me why there is a push to move him (even excluding the evidence that he very likely wants out).

• Like 2