• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Bulls

lethalweapon3

12 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I'm not saying that Capela don't play.. I'm saying when you feel the need to put in Garrison when Bogi and DJ is already on the court...  Put in Bruno and Move JJ to the 3... 

It didn't make sense to see OO, JJ, Garrison, Bogi, and DJ trying to do anything to stop Drummond.

We should have run a big lineup everytime he was on the court. 

I agree with that.  The Matthews brothers really are worthless out there.  If you're down big and just need to throw a hail mary to see if Garrison can get hot and sink of a bunch of threes to get you back in the game quickly, I don't mind putting him in the game at that point.  But if the game is close or if we got a lead, I would much rather not see him get any playing time.  And Wes has been ded for a while now.  Not sure why he's even taking up a roster spot.

• Like 2

Yup. 

im tired of preaching how you have to have length around Trae or Trae/Dj backcourt.

its getting old but we get beat up by “bully ball” way too often.

Really wish we’d just get some extremely talented physical players in here while we have this short window before Traes next contract.

• Sad 1

It should be noted that all three of our top guards shot very poorly this game.  Combined 20-53 (38%) from the field and 8-34 (24%) from three.  Hard for the Hawks to win with those numbers from Trae/DJ/Bogi.  And it wasn't just that they were cold, but all of them made some very poor shot selections as well.  It wasn't ALL about the defense and rebounding tonight.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Phunkabilly said:

But I think it's pretty alarming that we would have to resort to using 3 people to stop one guy on the boards.

I don't think it's putting 3 people in to stop one guy. 

If we play Bruno/OO/JJ...    OO has been playing 4 for us.  JJ is a 3/4... and Bruno plays the Center as somebody who can keep a body on Drummond. 

That's better than OO/JJ/Garrison..   which we did play.  OO was being outclassed by Drummond.   JJ did what he could... and Garrison.. well.  We're hoping to have him be a three point threat I guess. 

And we also played OO/Saddiq and Garrison/Matthews.   What was that.   I give it up for Saddiq, he fights for rebounds but we should have played bigger. 

I don't think Quinn gets that sometimes, you have to match size for size.  Especially to get rebounds. 

Lastly.. They are not going to give Drummond a Camping call.   He did Camp a few times.   It's up to us to push him out of the lane and to establish rebounding position. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, Phunkabilly said:

It should be noted that all three of our top guards shot very poorly this game.  Combined 20-53 (38%) from the field and 8-34 (24%) from three.  Hard for the Hawks to win with those numbers from Trae/DJ/Bogi.  And it wasn't just that they were cold, but all of them made some very poor shot selections as well.  It wasn't ALL about the defense and rebounding tonight.

They shot worse from three and we made more.   

We still shot better than them overall.. 46.7 to 45.3.  Sorry... but we lost this in one place and one place only...  REBOUNDING.  

9 minutes ago, Phunkabilly said:

I agree with that.  The Matthews brothers really are worthless out there.  If you're down big and just need to throw a hail mary to see if Garrison can get hot and sink of a bunch of threes to get you back in the game quickly, I don't mind putting him in the game at that point.  But if the game is close or if we got a lead, I would much rather not see him get any playing time.  And Wes has been ded for a while now.  Not sure why he's even taking up a roster spot.

I'm still waiting for this clown show F.O. to show me I should have any belief whatsoever, that they can retool the roster enough to even be a top 6 seed consistently...much less thinking about being a consistent championship contender...

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

This is one of the most disappointing losses we have taken.  We're not so much better than the Bulls, but we are better.   Our bigs are being outclassed by the whole league on the boards.   Moreover, a big component is how we play small guys at the 3.   We can't run a three guard offense and expect to be a defensive force.   If the offense is not cooking in that three guard offense, then we will get kilt on the boards if we're not big otherwise.   Nothing against Saddiq.  He is our best offensive rebounder.   However,  OO and CC coming down with a collective 11 rebounds... when Drummond got almost as many on the offensive boards alone is not acceptable.  Blame who you want to because I know you will but the truth is we're not getting enough from OO and CC on the boards... and we're not supporting them enough with size.   In 18 minutes the Mat(t)hews gave us 1 rebound.   Do you see the problem?

Landry this will ultimately come down to you.   You have to find us some help on the boards. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The people crying about defense is half right.   We didn't secure the ball.   We shot a better percentage than they did.  That means that defensively, we held them in check better than they held us in check.  BUt we let them get 18 offensive rebounds. 

This is on the coach.   He's playing Forrest, Matthews, and Mathews at the 3.   Bruno should have seen some time.  Once it was evident that we were getting used on the boards, you got to do something coach.    Big Lineup. 

His in game decisions are suspect at times, but I personally don't think this is Quin's fault.

He inherited a MID team that has since regressed from the personnel perspective.  Fans(not me) been sold on this idea that this team 'has so much talent' for so long..

It really doesn't.

Or it doesn't mesh. 

Red Auerbach himself couldn't fix this Shit IMO.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Diesel said:

They shot worse from three and we made more.   

We still shot better than them overall.. 46.7 to 45.3.  Sorry... but we lost this in one place and one place only...  REBOUNDING.  

Well, I would say that DRUMMOND was the main problem, not necessarily rebounding in general.  He smoked our two centers by a 25-11 margin in fewer minutes played.  The rest of the team outrebounded the Bulls by a 29-23 clip.  And yes, we shot a hair better than the Bulls, but the Bulls are a pretty bad offensive team (22nd in offensive rating).  Saying that our offense stooping down to their level as not contributing to the loss is inaccurate in my opinion.  Obviously, the Bulls' defense played a role in that, but we really made some piss poor decisions on the offensive end too.  If ANY of the three guards shoot at their season FG% and 3P% averages tonight, we win the game in spite of Drummond going off.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, terrell said:

His in game decisions are suspect at times, but I personally don't think this is Quin's fault.

He inherited a MID team that has since regressed from the personnel perspective.  Fans(not me) been sold on this idea that this team 'has so much talent' for so long..

It really doesn't.

Or it doesn't mesh. 

• Trae - Allstar.  Possibly All NBA.
  • Bogi - Sixth man of the year (Likely). 
  • DJ - 20/5/6 guy. 
  • JJ - Most improved player candidate. 
  • Clint - If there were a comeback player of the year candidate, he would be on the list.

With all of that some coaches could come out with better results because none of that screams MID.

Do Better!

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Phunkabilly said:

Well, I would say that DRUMMOND was the main problem, not necessarily rebounding in general.  He smoked our two centers by a 25-11 margin in fewer minutes played.  The rest of the team outrebounded the Bulls by a 29-23 clip.  And yes, we shot a hair better than the Bulls, but the Bulls are a pretty bad offensive team (22nd in offensive rating).  Saying that our offense stooping down to their level as not contributing to the loss is inaccurate in my opinion.  Obviously, the Bulls' defense played a role in that, but we really made some piss poor decisions on the offensive end too.  If ANY of the three guards shoot at their season FG% and 3P% averages tonight, we win the game in spite of Drummond going off.

The offense decisions/indecisions is moot when you here that our FG% was better than theirs. 

They only way a team can overcome that is if they put up more shots.... and that's what they did.  More shots because we gave them more opportunities. 

To encapsulate it.   Our defense worked good enough to stop them.  

Here are the leagues ranking for DFG%...

image.png

We were as good as the 5th best team in the league tonight. 

So it wasn't our defense....
And Chicago wasn't stopping us that much... But it what it comes down to is possessions.   We lost the possession battle.  We could have kept them to 40% FG%... but if we can't stop them from getting Offensive rebounds... eventually, they will overcome their FG%.

So no.. it's not about a defensive stopper need.  It's about a rebounder.   And Rebounding is technique and effort.   Saddiq and JJ were our best rebounders tonight.   That shouldn't be. 

29 minutes ago, terrell said:

It really doesn't.

Or it doesn't mesh. 

They got enough talent but they don't fit at all. Add to the fact that we don't got no Al and it's just tragic. 

• Like 1