• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Mavericks

• Moderators

How 'Bout Dem Stars?

With the Rangers returning to defend their World Series title, and the NHL club surging to the top of the Western Conference on the strength of an 8-game win streak, these are indeed fun times in and around DFWA. Oh, and there's the Wings, fresh off their best season ever in Arlington, getting to pick twice in the WNBA Draft's first-round in 11 days. And Luka Magic, for at least the next couple weeks.

Anything fun going on over on the gridiron? No, Arlington Renegades, not you. You neither, you old Dallas Texans, you.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/nfl/dallas-mayor-chiefs-cowboys-second-nfl-team/3505861/

~lw3

• Like 2

I never really cared for Luka before this season but he’s been must see TV since the Gafford acquisition, as his metrics  and MVP case have spiked since then.

His footwork, strength, vision, and shooting have all improved, not that any except the latter needed to.  It doesn’t hurt Kyrie is having arguably his best season, Lively, super-smart and rugged, is the prototypical rim protect/ lob threat Big, and Exum is finally showing the excellent feel that I’m guessing was expected when he was drafted.  

Luka still bitches to the referees way too much and doesn’t get back.  Oddly their below average defense somehow generates a fair share of cherry picking layups for him, go figure.

The Mavs are a fun watch no question but I can’t depend on PJ Washington and Junior as my 3rd and 4th option.  The defensive acumen just isn’t there and when asked to create their own shot it’s usually mediocre or worse.  Cam Johnson and Bruce Brown types in those spots, sure, they’re in the Conference Finals regularly.  

After Jokic’s reign ends, Luka, the OKC trio, Ant, and Wemby (if surrounded by the proper vets as Ant has) are gonna usher in a near Golden Era of playoff competition out West.  No one will be more ecstatic than me to see the grossly overrated peaks of KD, Harden, and Westbrook gone and forgotten and replaced with some true “bus drivers” as Chuck calls em.

Luka still has a ways to go in temperament and consistency of defensive effort.  Still his projected incline for the next 10 years is downright frightening with his mastery of passing out of double teams and 10 gig hard drive-like corporate knowledge.  It would be nice to see him go a stretch of games without appearing on the injury report lol.

Recent wins over the Clippers and Celtics twice were nice but overrated: both teams are a tough watch for me.  Clippers have no leadership whatsoever and the Celtics’ three point heavy and iso attack is gonna get them upset again in the playoffs.  The Bulls win a little more impressive being on the road with high stakes against a team they’ve struggled with in the past.  Make no mistake tho, a win tonight would be the best since Trae went down.  Better than beating the Magic as soon as he was out of the rotation after three straight losses to the Bulls, Raptors, and Hornets with him SMGDH.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Still his projected incline for the next 10 years is downright frightening

It's been proven though that number of pro games on the body means more than age and Luka has as many games on him as any at his age.  He's still got a scary amount of 'prime' left in him but not sure it's going to be 10 years. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Hopeful the five seasons of Quin Snyder coaching up Dante Exum with the Jazz will be put to good use if necessary.

No other notable inactives on the Boo-Boo Report for Dallas after Green and Lively. 'Tis the usual for Atlanta.

It is odd how Dallas' weekday home start times are all over the place. I'm guessing the 6:30 CST tip was to line up with TNT games in case (Sacramento K's vs. the NY NoRandles is the early game on tonight's docket) it needed to be flexed. Last Thursday's tip time versus Utah (DAL's last home game) was 8:30 EST, as is tomorrow's game versus GSW. Maybe giving the West Coast TV watchers a little more time to get home? 

~lw3

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

If the Hawks can hit their free throws and stop turning the ball over, they would win going away

Refs said hold my beer.. smh

• Like 1
  • Sad 1