• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Nets

lethalweapon3

6 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I don't want to get half the board in an uproar, but I think we miss Pero.  

Al is foolishly taking the threes he used to instead of his patented mid range pick and pop at the team's peril, yet Pero had a much better body type than Splitter defensively down low and is a much better, wider screener than both.  Our screen game without he and Demarre has taken a huge hit and it's hurting Dennis and  Kyle a great deal.

Splitter has been a big disappointment.  I would love to have Zaza back at backup center right now.  He's a tough big body center who can actually rebound and make an open shot.  He has a cheaper price tag and he can give you more than 20 minutes per game. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JETSET said:

Splitter has been a big disappointment.  I would love to have Zaza back at backup center right now.  He's a tough big body center who can actually rebound and make an open shot.  He has a cheaper price tag and he can give you more than 20 minutes per game. 

Damn, I never even thought about him.  He'd be good for about 2 wins so far.  All he does is become an instant fan favorite for his toughness wherever he goes, Dallas no different.  It's safe to say Splitter will not achieve that status here.  We're looking real soft now, not feeling it.

At least Riley's Dad and the Warriors are on.  Their bigs are out there man-handling the Raptors for rebounds.  

2 minutes ago, LamarHampton said:

Dear Hawksquawk,

This was a horrible loss. Down two starters or not, as a former 60-win team you don't even make this a close one.

Dennis did seem confused. I know Dennis is a fan favorite and all, but I really like Mack and he made a good case for himself tonight. Give  DS the night off and let Mack come in behind Teague a few times and see how things go. We're already on the downward trajectory;  what's the worst that could happen? I think it might surprise a lot of people.

Offense as a whole seemed stagnant.

Where you at, Al?

And seriously, why does Nique have a mic in front of him? I love him but the  commentary by Stinger is so much more insightful. How many times do I really need to hear "Well that's a bad shot there"? And what's with him calling the game over in the Hawks favor with five minutes left and only a one point lead??? Give me Stinger any day of the week. Somebody email Koonin.

And how long before we actually see some substantive changes? I'm not a coach so i'm not sure what exactly is broken, but I can tell that something is definitely broken. We should be manhandling some of these teams. Yeah yeah yeah I know it's early in the season, but you can't look at this team play each night and not tell me that something is off.

Angry in Atlanta

Yeah I agree. We all have reasons to be concerned over our play during the last 4-5 games, but it's still a long season and things can get corrected.

10 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Damn, I never even thought about him.  He'd be good for about 2 wins about now.  We're looking real soft now.  At least the Warriors are on.  Their bigs are out there man-handling the Raptors for rebounds.

It's funny how the Warriors have came out so hungry, after winning the title, while the Hawks, who were swept, seem to think they can slouch around in the 1st half and then turn it on in the 4th quarter for a win.  

I just really miss the beautiful display of offense and team defense we saw on a regular basis last year.  Maybe tonight's loss will give them the same motivation as the Lakers loss did last year.

• Like 1

It's strange how that great 4th quarter against Washington that gave us a 7-game win streak was immediately followed by that unspeakably bad first half against Minnesota. And other than the 3rd quarter of that game we've been a mediocre/bad team since then. I would say that the failed comeback really did a number on them, but that wouldn't explain how they got down 34 points to begin with. All I know is they aren't playing with the same intensity and focus that made them great last year. That's not really a surprise with DMC gone, but they got to figure something out. Maybe the quality of competition picking up will actually help and we'll respond like we did during that tough 5-game December stretch last season. Or maybe it'll bury them. We'll see. 

And shoutout to another abysmal out-of-bounds play with the game on the line. Someone could create a very comical montage of those over the last few seasons.

Edited by High5

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Chris Vivlamore        ✔ @CVivlamoreAJC

Dennis Schröder took responsibility for Hawks second-to-last possession. Said he held ball too long. "I take that one 

That's great and all to see him own up to his mistakes but he held the ball too long several times tonight, last game, and really all season long.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's easy to dump on Dennis for this game but I have a bigger issue with 5 rebounds, no freethrow taking Al Horford.  Those are stats that matter.

Yup Dennis made a lot of mistakes for sure but in my opinion Horford has been our worst starting defender this year.

So not only is he not getting to the line his defense is very low to slightly average to me so far.....and normally Al is a good defender.

I don't know why Dennis wasn't on the floor during the last play. No matter what happend before, he would have been able to free himself and get a shot off at least if no better option available...

Edited by rd79

Last night, the starting five didn't have the fire necessary to win in the NBA.

What a difference!  With the starters on the bench, defense picked up a lot.

The second unit brought the game from behind to a ten point lead in a span of

the end of the first and beginning of the second.  THIS looked like last season's

Hawk team.  Then the Ho, Hum starters were back and we were never the same

after that.  Hawks were missing two starters but, dang.  How did the bench show

up last night's starting five??

• Like 2

• Admin
4 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

I keep saying trade horford for Lopez....lol. look, bud is gonna stay with the stretch 5 stuff. Problem is, he needs someone in the paint.....This is a good team, but it will not make any serious noise in the playoffs until they address the paint.  

Still wouldn't touch that trade ... I would never trade Al for Lopez and his bad d, injury prone body and overall he would not help our rebounding problem (probably make it worse).

1 hour ago, AHF said:

FWIW, Zaza has more FTA this season than Horford, Splitter, Korver, and Bazemore combined.

That is saying something right there. 

2 hours ago, AHF said:

FWIW, Zaza has more FTA this season than Horford, Splitter, Korver, and Bazemore combined.

Tsl90s4.gif

I'm laughing to keep from crying!   It's all I can do to stop from doing this....

3c0156778bdd579cddd6067ca876c0af.gif

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Tsl90s4.gif

I'm laughing to keep from crying!   It's all I can do to stop from doing this....

3c0156778bdd579cddd6067ca876c0af.gif

I've been like this for a while ...

I Give Up

My plan is to subliminally convince posters to become Knicks fans or something.

You love the Knicks, you love Carmelo, you love Kristaps ....

15 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Can we trade Nique? He jinxed us like 5 times during the game. Oh Brooklyn had they chances...oh Brooklyn had they chances...boozerholzer...he can't speak worth shit. I'm prolly one of the biggest Nique fans but as an announcer he's straight pissing me off...dang

Right?  Quit calling the games so early.  I caught that Boozenholzer, and how many times can he say SHELVIN Mack's name wrong?  You think he'd take time to clean up some of this stuff as an announcer but he probably just thinks he doesn't have to work on his announcing game since he's Nique and all.....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JTB said:

That's great and all to see him own up to his mistakes but he held the ball too long several times tonight, last game, and really all season long.

Exactly.  The apology doesn't mean much to me when he's had ample chance to not hang onto the ball too long, yet he goes out there every game and does the same thing.