• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Magic at Hawks

lethalweapon3

I think Bud is rotating to much. He should stay with the same group of guys for longer stretches. Also Baze is really starting to irritate me. His constant smiles after putting up awful shots and then getting hammered on D. He got his, now get out of the league.

• Like 1

Baze has kind of become the  bizzaro Josh Smith. Kent needs to spot up in the corners for open 3s and limit his dribbling.  Instead, as soon as he came in last night he put the ball on the floor for a running jumper and then a turnover as he again was punished for his lack of a handle.  When things are going bad (in any sport) it's important to simplify and focus on efficiency. He's as wild as ever, like he's trying to prove something. Self awareness....maybe another deficiency he shares with Jsmoove.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, Ropadope said:

Baze has kind of become the  bizzaro Josh Smith. Kent needs to spot up in the corners for open 3s and limit his dribbling.  Instead, as soon as he came in last night he put the ball on the floor for a running jumper and then a turnover as he again was punished for his lack of a handle.  When things are going bad (in any sport) it's important to simplify and focus on efficiency. He's as wild as ever, like he's trying to prove something. Self awareness....maybe another deficiency he shares with Jsmoove.

Only difference is Smoove actually produced despite his flaws. I'm starting to wonder what Baze really brings besides energy. Much like Smoove, the negatives are starting to outweigh the positives. He's becoming a liability.

• Like 2

So basically we probably should play Tim thirty five minutes and Bud will see who causes less damage backing him up between Baze and Kyle. Doesn't feel like he'll put Bembry in at point or SG for good minutes this season. The writing seems to be all over the wall. Play the rookies. They can't be worse than Delaney, Baze and Kyle.

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

And Baze and Kyle combined for over forty minutes and caused unending damage to us on the defensive end. Prince has to be wondering how bad does the D have to be at the  wings for him to get any minutes.

I keep wondering how much worse Kyle and Baze have to play to warrant him more PT.  If Bud wants to practice what he preaches about defense, then no way Kyle should be getting the type of minutes he is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ropadope said:

Instead, as soon as he came in last night he put the ball on the floor for a running jumper and then a turnover as he again was punished for his lack of a handle.  When things are going bad (in any sport) it's important to simplify and focus on efficiency. He's as wild as ever, like he's trying to prove something. Self awareness....maybe another deficiency he shares with Jsmoove.

This where I blame Bud, he doesn't have a short leash.  I know after one or two of those shots max, Popovich would've pulled Baze and laid into him for his shot selection.

Any reaction by Bud seems to take way too long, you need to be quick and make changes on the fly in this league.  Getting Korver out of the lineup took this long, I'm sure it's going to take even longer to cut his minutes and Baze's in favor of Prince.

Just like when he made a "statement" by subbing out all 5 starters and starting the bench in the 3rd quarter.  All I could think was how it was too after-the-fact and he should've been making changes in the first freaking quarter!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

We scored 120 points at home and still lost by 11 points. We don't need to worry about the offense right now. Our defense needs help. We have three guys out there not giving any effort on defense. Korver, Baze and yes even our "Anchorman" Millsap. Delaney tries on defense but he just doesn't have the foot speed to defend his position. We can't win with Dennis and Dwight and Thabo being the only ones showing up on defensive effort.

Korver and Baze need to be taken out of the rotation. We need to see what Prince and Bembry can do. We can't sign a veteran PG like Jack fast enough for my tastes.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Korver and Baze need to be taken out of the rotation. We need to see what Prince and Bembry can do. We can't sign a veteran PG like Jack fast enough for my tastes.

As drastic as it sounds its probably the best option. Its taking over twenty million out of the wing rotation but its really necessary. 

• Like 2

hace 14 minutos, macdaddy dijo:

Just looked at the box score.  

-6 for Sap, +0 for dwight, thabo, dennis, +2 for Tim.    

Kyle -23

Moose -15

Baze -10

Delaney -11

That's despite Kyle shooting well.    Humphries and Prince need to get in the rotation.   Moose needs to be out of it and Baze and Korver need reduced minutes for now.   Tim still isn't shooting well but unfortunately he's our best option at the 2.   Unless we start Thabo and Prince.   

Pretty much this. When starters find somehow their mojo our second unit let us down. Obviously we lack talent but we can be a pretty good team if everyone contributes. We still rely on individual perfomances and good chemistry is badly missed, mostly on defense. 

Like someone pointed out, Bud is slow and stubborn making adjustements. Bud has not yet been able to assign roles properly to the team. I get the impression that we could get more out of Prince and Humphries. Bud is too enamored with Muscala and Korver. I mean they are decent role players but I think they shouldnt play around 25 minutes. We miss scrappiness and tough guys.

• Like 1

Turnovers and not moving the ball to end the 1st quarter and begin the 2nd quarter cost us this game. Momentum lost once Bud subbed in the bench.  To start the game we had about 7 assists on 9 shots, we ended the 1st half with 10 assists.

The defensive effort was downright miserable and laughable. Entirely.too much unnecessary overhelping.

Again - Time to play the youngins - less Kyle and Kent.

• Moderators

Korver is getting an average of a little over 27 mpg as a reserve.  That is a 4 mpg cut and happened while Baze was out so perhaps he will end up in that 25 mpg range as a reserve.  We'll see.

Either way, I agree with  you that Humph and Prince need more burn.  Bud was crazy stubborn about not playing Humph last year when Moose was cowering in a corner against the Cavs and history seems to be repeating itself.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Garchelino said:

I get the impression that we could get more out of Prince and Humphries.

Prince would immediately raise the talent level and defensive intensity level. Kris is physical and at least doesn't get pushed around or ever back down. Moose is not a C and should never play out of his few minutes at backup stretch four. That of course is complicated by Scott's return date being in question.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

Korver is getting an average of a little over 27 mpg as a reserve.  That is a 4 mpg cut and happened while Baze was out so perhaps he will end up in that 25 mpg range as a reserve.  We'll see.

Either way, I agree with  you that Humph and Prince need more burn.  Bud was crazy stubborn about not playing Humph last year when Moose was cowering in a corner against the Cavs and history seems to be repeating itself.

Are you sure that's correct. Kyle has played 4 games off the bench - still seems like he's playing the same number of minutes he was to start the season.

His overall minutes maybe down from last year, is that the 4 minutes difference?

Edit: in the 4 games off the bench Kyle played 31:44, 33:48, 33:17and 26:55 minutes.....that's an average of 30+ minutes....Bud's pulling an okey doke. SMH

• Moderators
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Are you sure that's correct. Kyle has played 4 games off the bench - still seems like he's playing the same number of minutes he was to start the season.

His overall minutes maybe down from last year, is that the 4 minutes difference?

LMAO.  I read it wrong.  If you look at his splits as a starter and reserve he is averaging more minutes as a reserve this season.

Starter:  27.6 mpg

Reserve:  31.4 mpg

4 minute gap but I had in my mind that benching him might have led to reduced minutes and didn't look carefully enough.  So Bud benched him and is playing him more.

Again, I don't think that is apples to apples because of Baze's absence and last night he did play a more normal 27 mpg with Baze back but still.  WTF Bud??

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

LMAO.  I read it wrong.  If you look at his splits as a starter and reserve he is averaging more minutes as a reserve this season.

Starter:  27.6 mpg

Reserve:  31.4 mpg

4 minute gap but I had in my mind that benching him might have led to reduced minutes and didn't look carefully enough.  So Bud benched him and is playing him more.

Again, I don't think that is apples to apples because of Baze's absence and last night he did play a more normal 27 mpg with Baze back but still.  WTF Bud??

I editted my post showing the minutes. 

12 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I was roundly criticized when I said Baze was a bad signing. I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.

Lies.  You don't hate it at all.

You ain't wrong, tho.  DelaneySucks was also a bad signing.  I was on that early and I love to say 'I told you so'.  We need Jarrett Jack in the worst way.  This team is in need of a serious heart transplant or a heart insertion at least.

If we're gonna suck, play Prince/Bembry!