• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Wizards: GAME 5

lethalweapon3

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So if we played better than yesterday, you don't think that we can win?   That's basically what you're saying.  Either that, or you don't think we can play any better.

This is an even series.  In fact, the point differential in this series favors the Hawks slightly by +8.   The trend has seen each game in Washington become closer,

- They had to hold us off in Game 1, with the Hawks being only 5 points down with 2 minutes to go.

- They had to hold us off in Game 2, with the Hawks being only 3 points down, with under 2 minutes to go, until the infamous Bazemore turnover

- And they had to hold us off in Game 5, with the Hawks being only 2 points down with 1 minute to go.  Wall was 1 - 7 on his midrange shots, until he hit that jumper to put them up 4.

The Hawks KNOW that they can beat Washington.  Bud just has to have the right personnel grouping in the game, and they need to execute a little better down the stretch.

This series is going exactly like how a 4 - 5 matchup should go.   Hawks should win Game 6 similar to how they won Game 3, because the Hawks will play with desperation and the Wiz will relax, because they know that they have a guaranteed Game 7 at home.

The Wiz BETTER win the next game, and close out the series in 6, because I personally don't believe they could handle the pressure of a Game 7 at home, especially if the game is close in the 4th, like the previous 3 have been.

These are the exact same feelings i have. Wiz aren't looking like the better team by any means! Hawks, Bud, & the whole staff KNOW we can beat this team and win this series.

• Like 3

Well, this did show why you really need to earn homecourt and not stumble in the second half of the season into the playoffs. Not always one thing but just never as comfortable in that post season intensity on the opponents court along with their fans dominating the arena and of course refs are affected by it as well very often. Still feel like we have a seven game series on our hands. Just have to overcome that stuff in the seventh. Would be ever so helpful if someone in addition to Dennis would help us shoot well over thirty percent from three. Anybody.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So if we played better than yesterday, you don't think that we can win?   That's basically what you're saying.  Either that, or you don't think we can play any better.

This is an even series.  In fact, the point differential in this series favors the Hawks slightly by +8.   The trend has seen each game in Washington become closer,

- They had to hold us off in Game 1, with the Hawks being only 5 points down with 2 minutes to go.

- They had to hold us off in Game 2, with the Hawks being only 3 points down, with under 2 minutes to go, until the infamous Bazemore turnover

- And they had to hold us off in Game 5, with the Hawks being only 2 points down with 1 minute to go.  Wall was 1 - 7 on his midrange shots, until he hit that jumper to put them up 4.

The Hawks KNOW that they can beat Washington.  Bud just has to have the right personnel grouping in the game, and they need to execute a little better down the stretch.

This series is going exactly like how a 4 - 5 matchup should go.   Hawks should win Game 6 similar to how they won Game 3, because the Hawks will play with desperation and the Wiz will relax, because they know that they have a guaranteed Game 7 at home.

The Wiz BETTER win the next game, and close out the series in 6, because I personally don't believe they could handle the pressure of a Game 7 at home, especially if the game is close in the 4th, like the previous 3 have been.

The 1st games we got tons of free throws. That kept us in the game the first two road games and was quite helpful the 1st home game. But they adjusted to our offense and are able to defend us better and foul less. Have a look at the numbers:

Fouls on the Wiz / FTA for us / FT made in the games this series

1. 25 F / 39 FGA / 32 Pts
  2. 29 F / 38 FGA / 33 Pts
  3. 28 F / 32 FGA / 19 Pts
  4. 25 F / 25 FGA / 19 Pts
  5. 20 F / 21 FGA / 14 Pts

Adjustments! That's what playoff basketball is all about. And IMHO defensive adjustments are much easier to make because it's about getting used to the opponents offense and hustle. But offensive adjustments are much harder to make because that's more about talent and skillset. Over the series Wiz made some adjustments.

• They foul less now
  • They found a way to close the paint. Dennis yesterday scored only 5 2pt baskets and I'd say no more then 3 at the rim and there he had to make ridiculous high of the backboard attempts to make them fall. No easy buckets at all for Dennis anymore.
  • They found a way to slow down Millsap (without fouling him to much)
  • So they took away the regular offense of our main guys.

So lets recap the games again

1. We could stay in the game despite playing bad because of Wiz foul trouble and our FTs
  2. Quite similar to game one
  3. Big win, but we only had an early run and killed them in the first. No seperation at all after that. Even game in 2nd to 4th
  4. First signs of Wiz slowing down Dennis, but the bench kept us in the game. Good game by Dwight. Unexpected great game from Calderon, finally one good game by Baze and ridiculous great last 4:30 from Dennis won us this game.
  5. Sap had good first three qtr. Wiz stopped Dennis usual offense and forced him to take the outside shot. Dennis took the challange an kept us in the game. I may be Dennis biggest fan on this planet but even I know that's nothing you can expect from him leave alone expect him to repeat that instantly...

I don't expect the refs give us that much FTs again, I don't expect Dennis to repeat his heroics, I don't expect Calderon to go off again, I don't expect Howard to have a game 4 like again. A sub par game of Beal AND Wall could help too, but I don't expect it. Could one or all of this things happen again? Sure, but I don't expect it.

Yes we may win at home. And yes we even could win on the road, but it gets harder every game and our starters plus two bench players should all have an at least good game. Unfortunately this didn't happen all season yet...

Edited by rd79

Question:  Who on this Hawk team, wants to be "The Man?"

Game was, oh so close late in the 4th quarter.  The five Hawks

on the floor then played "hot potato" with the ball as time continued

to run out for Atlanta.

"I'm not taking the shot and have fans believe that I was the cause

of the loss.  Get this ball out of my hands at once!"

Try a three?  Heavens forbid.  Let someone, not me, drive inside and

either score or get fouled, then miss the foul shots.  Oh, no.  Not me.

Time is running out!  Do something!  (Not me.  Hot potato!)

Again I ask.  Who ??

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Again I ask.  Who ??

At this moment I will say Dennis, but he and Sap have to do it most of the game to begin with it seems just about every time out. I would tell Dennis to do what he does and score late to win understanding that he won't get a call on the opponents court. Just score. 

• Moderators
12 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Our shooting isn't good at all

Our SGs (Baze and THJr) shot:

9-30 from the floor

3-15 from 3pt range

0-2 from the line

And they will probably earn a combined >$30M next season.

:bad:

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

They will get better!

Hope it happens before the series is over.

We are now 4 games in and in the 8 games they have played (4 each) they have one standout game between them.

Here are the numbers for the series:

THJr / Baze

4.8 PER (11th on the team) / 11.5 PER (7th on the team)

-.036 WS/48 (12th on the team) / 0.051 WS/48 (10th on the team)

34.4% FG% (10th on the team) / 36.2% FG% (8th on the team)

29% 3pt% (5th on the team) / 27.3% 3pt% (6th on the team)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AHF said:

If you are going to come on here and sh*& on a guy multiple times for a play and the announcers point out that he is being held, at least take the time to watch the whole commentary before crapping on him.  It makes it look like you are just waiting for an opportunity to hate on the guy.

He does though. Every post I've seen him make is about Dwight. I know he has heavy grease stains on the D of his keyboard, it's pretty sad smh

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, rd79 said:

wow, and still 5th and 6th...

Bear in mind that guys like Dwight, Thabo and Humphries haven't shot a single 3 and are therefore listed at 0%.

Sap, Calderon, Moose and Ersan have all blown chunks from 3pt range, though, I'll sure give you that.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Cwell said:

He does though. Every post I've seen him make is about Dwight. I know he has heavy grease stains on the D of his keyboard, it's pretty sad smh

He is a she believe it or not.  I fell into the same trap assuming she was a he based on her writing style.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, AHF said:

Hope it happens before the series is over.

We are now 4 games in and in the 8 games they have played (4 each) they have one standout game between them.

Here are the numbers for the series:

THJr / Baze

4.8 PER (11th on the team) / 11.5 PER (7th on the team)

-.036 WS/48 (12th on the team) / 0.051 WS/48 (10th on the team)

34.4% FG% (10th on the team) / 36.2% FG% (8th on the team)

29% 3pt% (5th on the team) / 27.3% 3pt% (6th on the team)

I was thinking more about the future...It might be a blessing in disguise that Hardaway is struggling so badly in the playoffs...At least he will be more affordable this coming off season

• Like 2

I suppose now is as good of a time as anything to say I don't even listen to TV commentary right now on Hawks games, instead I listen to music. I stopped during that bad string of games and continued it for a while, then stopped again for good after the Indy game a while ago. So of course I missed it and after I saw it again, I apologize, that was absolutely Schröder's fault. He didn't even bother rotating.

That still doesn't stop me from saying that this was never a series for Dwight Howard and Hump's *****toughness***** is NOT needed. I'm sorry, but complete trash transition defense is EVEN WORSE than allowing aggressive attacking the rim and by the third quarter, it was 5 on 4 transition defense because Dwight could barely move. 

32 minutes ago, AHF said:

Bear in mind that guys like Dwight, Thabo and Humphries haven't shot a single 3 and are therefore listed at 0%.

Sap, Calderon, Moose and Ersan have all blown chunks from 3pt range, though, I'll sure give you that.

We start hitting our 3's and we can win by 40 on Friday. Just sayin.

• Moderators
Just now, Spud2Nique said:

We start hitting our 3's and we can win by 40 on Friday. Just sayin.

Shooting is a big problem for this team and our shooting guards are not helping.

I suppose now is as good of a time as anything to say I don't even listen to TV commentary right now on Hawks games, instead I listen to music.

Didn't know you had an album out.