• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2018 draft

bleachkit

32 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I hope the mods will stick this. Since we are rebuilding one of the key topics of discussion should be our differing opinions and views on potential lottery picks in the 2018 draft.

I submit the following to begin the discussion:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/potential-2018-no-1-draft-pick-luka-doncic-almost-good-true-video-165856463.html

I like Doncic as well and I will have no problem with him being our pick. If not him, I want Bagley. Either will do. Ayton is a project with high upside. This years draft could really put some bottom feeders like us in a new category.

Funny thing is Ayton could be a bust or end up being the best player in the draft. I will be very nervous if we are picking 3rd or 4th and both Doncic and Bagley are gone.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

I know Bud, and I bet he’s already having night terrors about possibly missing out on Doncicci. He’s daydreaming of enrolling him in Hawks U with Chris Jent. Book it: if My-Name-is-Luka is available with the Hawks’ pick, he’s the Hawks’ pick. Menace, Doncicci, Printz, J-Bap, and Deadmon Walking is a damn 8th seed right outta the gate. And a crazy fun team to watch if they’re still a 10th seed...

Edited by hazer
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

Every time I read some of the doubters on Doncic I find game film of him and just think "this cat is a teenager and has a higher basketball IQ than 70% of the NBA already". Can you imagine what Bud could do with him on our team?

I'm still torn on him and Ayton. But Doncic would IMO be our pick if Bud has any say on it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sothron said:

Every time I read some of the doubters on Doncic I find game film of him and just think "this cat is a teenager and has a higher basketball IQ than 70% of the NBA already". Can you imagine what Bud could do with him on our team?

I'm still torn on him and Ayton. But Doncic would IMO be our pick if Bud has any say on it.

Hawks or Spurs are the perfect environment for My-Name-is-Luka. I’m fine with him, Ayton, or Bagley as our pick.

• Like 2

My top 5 (for now and not necessarily in the actual ORDER I expect the draft to be):

1. Luka Doncic

2. Deandre Ayton

3. Collin Sexton

4. Jaren Jackson Jr

5. Trae Young

If Doncic for whatever reason isn't available, a scenario that I'd love is to take Ayton and somehow find a way to get Trae Young through moving up to the lower lottery with the other pick. But if Young continues his ridiculous start he hisself could be in the top 5.

Young's defense is so bad I can't see him going top 5, he might have trouble even being top 10, but I think we could consolidate picks in any case to go back and pick him. It'd be a good situation for him to come into where he doesn't have starting responsibilities thrust upon him Day 1.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sothron said:

With Ayton, I just can't get over his off the ball struggles with such an off the ball dominant team. Bamba is good off the ball but he's still somewhat raw. 

• Like 2

• lethalweapon3 featured, pinned, featured and pinned this topic
4 hours ago, Lurker said:

My top 5 (for now and not necessarily in the actual ORDER I expect the draft to be):

1. Luka Doncic
2. Deandre Ayton
3. Collin Sexton
4. Jaren Jackson Jr
5. Trae Young

If Doncic for whatever reason isn't available, a scenario that I'd love is to take Ayton and somehow find a way to get Trae Young through moving up to the lower lottery with the other pick. But if Young continues his ridiculous start he hisself could be in the top 5.

I've been thinking about this approach too, I'd probably have Michael Porter over JJJ but if you are out on him for the injury I understand.

• Premium Member

The Hawks should be looking to draft who they think will be the best player long-term, who can become an elite player.  They shouldn't draft a guy simply because he's the best player at that point in time.  They won't be competing for a championship next season.  Schlenk and his group will have to do some projecting.  So, this decision will require a lot of work.  If he's there, you've got to come away with the Durant, Bryant and Garnett level player rather than just someone who will be a "good" player.

Edited by Jody23
  • Like 3

To me Bagley is the guy that's much more of a project. Ayton has defensive issues but his offensive side is good and he needs to just keep working on what he has there, at the very least you have the C version of LaMarcus Aldridge. 

On the other end while Bagley is a good prospect, he does a lot more out athletic'ing that Ayton does. 

Ayton is the best big man in college basketball to me. Flat out. The defensive issues aren't unfixable. If you want a blend of stands out tools and offensive skill you should look at him.

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Watching this Oklahoma vs Wichita St. game.  I knew Young was a shooter, but watching him play, he's got much more game than that.  His ball handling, passing and court vision are really good.

If he keeps up what he has been doing offensively, he will peak my interest more.  I like Sexton more, and Young is REALLY BAD defensively (a complete mess).  

https://www.thestepien.com/2017/12/11/can-trae-young-generational-shooter/

This begs the question long term.  Does his ability to shoot (not score) present a big enough skill outlier that he can overcome his athletic limitations in the way that Steph Curry has overcome his?  Steph is an obvious outlier no matter how many people try to revise history on his athleticism.