• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2018 draft

bleachkit

On 12/23/2017 at 7:59 PM, Jody23 said:

Elite shooting and shot creation are two things that are needed to win at the highest level in the NBA.  Another reason I like Trae Young.

Plus he is an elite level passer with great handles. Young isn't just a stereotypical good college shooter. 

Usually I'd care about a player not being a great defender but I could care less about Young's defense. His production  offsets his lack of defense. I mean really, how many top tier point guards in todays game play great defense? His defense is a concern but teams will live with it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, Guard said:

Plus he is an elite level passer with great handles. Young isn't just a stereotypical good college shooter. 

Usually I'd care about a player not being a great defender but I could care less about Young's defense. His production  offsets his lack of defense. I mean really, how many top tier point guards in todays game play great defense? His defense is a concern but teams will live with it.

And if his skills translate well to the NBA game, he also has a style of play that would attract other players to come play with him.  That's important.

• Like 1

What do you guys think about Isaac Bonga? With the development of Giannis I could see him potentially getting drafted way too high, but he appears to have a similar allure. On YouTube videos at least, he appears to have some PG skills, even though I think he needs some more time before he's ready for NBA minutes.

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

What do you guys think about Isaac Bonga? With the development of Giannis I could see him potentially getting drafted way too high, but he appears to have a similar allure. On YouTube videos at least, he appears to have some PG skills, even though I think he needs some more time before he's ready for NBA minutes.

A 6'10 guy who can handle the ball like that will eventually move up the draft boards.  An intriguing prospect for sure.

Trae is so ridiculous on offense. Feels like he's having a rough game but he still has 37 and 14. 8 turnovers no bueno though, he's been missing passes that he usually makes.

Led his team to road wins @wichita and @tcu wow

Edited by DBac

In my opinion Bagley & Collins would be in each others way.  Wendell Carter would be a better pairing with Collins. He is a wide body who is a good re bounder with a pretty good 3 point shot for a Big man.    He won't be in the top 5 but probably in the late lottery.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, Guard said:

You can add Ayton as another top prospect that had a big game this weekend.  23 points and 19 rebounds.

Teams are going to be tanking like crazy in the second half of the season. Watch. 

They are certainly going to try. I'm pretty sure Schlenk already knows that and WILL make some moves at the trade deadline to ensure this rebuild continues as scheduled.

My top 5 fit, potential in our system, and players: 

1. Doncic

2. Bamba

3. Bagley

4. Porter Jr. 

5. Ayton

The potential in our system:

1. Bamba

2. Bagley

3. Ayton

4. Doncic (I just don't see his ceiling being as high as the others regardless of system fit.)

5. Porter Jr. 

Best players right now: 

1. Ayton

2. Doncic

3. Bagley

4. Porter Jr. 

5. Bamba

I love this top 5. Special. Very special. Very top heavy class. 

T1

Doncic

T1.5

Ayton, Bagley

T2

Young, Jackson, Porter, Sexton

T3

Bamba, Mikal, Wendell, Miles

Side note: I loved the job Jevon Carter did on Trae yesterday. He's the ideal type of PG you want to pair with a guy like Doncic (or any non PG lead ball handler).

Edited by DBac

• Premium Member

Still a long way to go until draft time and alot can change, but after what I've seen thus far, I've got Young and Ayton as the top two guys followed by the group of Bagley, Doncic, Sexton and Bamba.  If Porter comes back healthy, he'll probably make his way in.

On 12/30/2017 at 5:18 PM, Blunt91 said:

In my opinion Bagley & Collins would be in each others way.  Wendell Carter would be a better pairing with Collins. He is a wide body who is a good re bounder with a pretty good 3 point shot for a Big man.    He won't be in the top 5 but probably in the late lottery.

Here's the thing though.  If you believe that Bagley is potentially a Hall of Fame talent, you DO NOT pass on Bagley, just because you have Collins.  With a potential top 5 pick, you MUST hit the home run.  Not a single or a double, but a HOME RUN.

So if you're the Hawks, and Bagley is the best talent on the board, you still take him.

Then you play Bagley and Collins beside each other, and see which guy is the best.  If they both gel, and can play with each other, that's the best case scenario for the Hawks.  If they can't play with each other, but still show flashes of talent, you use the lesser guy as a trade chip to get a pick and/or a need player.

The Hawks cannot mess this up though.  IF they do, it could set this franchise back 10 years.

• Like 1

And honestly, forget "drafting for the system". Bud may very well not survive past 2019, if the Hawks aren't showing improvement.  Outside the 2 months of historic basketball, Bud's record as a coach is very mediocre.  Right now, that stretch is looking more like an anomaly than the norm.

We must draft a player who can play under ANY coach.

Speaking of that, would Bud give a guy like Trae Young the freedom to freelance like he does at Oklahoma?  I think we all know the answer to that.  So the next question is this:  Can the "system" maximize a talent like Young, if the system isn't meant to feature one guy?

• Like 1