• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Hornets

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

We had good looks but couldn’t make them. When they went on their run we started rushing things, wasn’t much flow in the offense even with the open looks. The D was up and down, but I’m pretty sure our offense was only good when we played decent defense.

Losing Bembry hurts..but we won’t win games on the road playing like we did tonight.

• Like 1

vor 3 Stunden, Diesel sagte:

dwight.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Man you're the weirdest dude.

I see you sitting at home with a cheeky smile thinking you won the lottery or some. 

Everything but a win for the hornets would've been a real bad outing. They didn't press restart, we did. 

So stop feeling like a champion for Howard playing against an undersized rookie on 5 most of the game. 

Soon enough you'll eat your words when howard starts having problems with his teammates.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StephenHawking said:

And btw your hornets would've lost that game straight up if just one of our shooters would've had a normal night.

Yeah, one decent game by a three point shooter tonight and Dennis would have had ten or more assists. Glad its just one game and hope it doesn't continue but you do kinda get that "same as it ever was" feeling about our long range shooting as a team. The playoffs have not been such good memories with that stuff. Pretty much everyone's fears coming into this season, how to score. Defensively we were really active but not consistently as the game went on especially the third quarter. Anyway a whole lot for us to learn, class is in session. Talking to you Jent. And please get well fast Bembry.

• Like 1

This was a much better game for Dennis in spite of that fact we lost. He was very under control and did much better job running the offense than game one. He attacked well with Dallas' poor interior defense and adjusted well when Dwight was in and out off the game tonight. He matched his production from game 1 with 7 fewer shots. 

Defense was much better in first half than game 1.Against Dallas we gave up a ton of open 3's from missed rotations. Most alarming was the number of corner 3's. That seemed to get cleaned up in this game. 

Honesty, Dwight cost us this game.  He kept Schröder out of the paint. He got all our bigs in foul trouble and got our rotations all out of wack. This is what Bud never got about Dwight. Even when he's having an off night in the post he's still getting the opposing team in foul trouble. 

Bembry being gone hurt a lot too. I honestly never want to see Delaney again. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ATLien_ said:

Exactly my thoughts. Delaney is a guy that can look ok in a boxscore but is just lost on both ends of the floor. It got old last year and after two games this year its looking like the same thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATLien_ said:

This was a much better game for Dennis in spite of that fact we lost. He was very under control and did much better job running the offense than game one. He attacked well with Dallas' poor interior defense and adjusted well when Dwight was in and out off the game tonight. He matched his production from game 1 with 7 fewer shots. 

Defense was much better in first half than game 1.Against Dallas we gave up a ton of open 3's from missed rotations. Most alarming was the number of corner 3's. That seemed to get cleaned up in this game. 

Honesty, Dwight cost us this game.  He kept Schröder out of the paint. He got all our bigs in foul trouble and got our rotations all out of wack. This is what Bud never got about Dwight. Even when he's having an off night in the post he's still getting the opposing team in foul trouble. 

I believe this is correct to an extent  but Howard Truly had nothing to do with us losing this game in my opinion. As someone already pointed out the 3rd quarter we missed many wide open shots created by Dennis and shot 25% in that quarter. To make matters worse it wasn’t just any player missing these wide open shots, it was our veteran 3pt shooters who missed these  open shots! Babbit, Marco, Illayasova ....those 3 had opportunities after opportunities to put the game away. 

I would say “growing pains” like bazemore suggested after the game but honestly and again  the guys who were missing the wide open looks were our 3pt vets we signed. I’m more in tune with the Dennis comment after the game:

“We had open shots,” Dennis Schröder said. “Open floaters, open shots, pull-up jumpers but we didn’t make them. It’s a part of basketball. Sometimes you make them and sometimes you miss them. Tonight we missed them in the second half.”

I’m not sure there was something to learn from this other than “hey make your open shots” but that’s common sense. I mean the offense was ran to perfection for such a young group and defense was ok could be better of course but I don’t think that’s what lost the game. All starters shot the ball well (most were above 50%) except Ersan. The bench let us down in game 2 of 82. I just hope they (bench) play like game 1 more often than not this season. The only thing I’m pissed about is the vet 3pt shooters missing their open shots ...other than that it was a good game.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JTB said:

but Howard Truly had nothing to do with us losing this game in my opinion. 

Believe you might have just tripped D-train's alarm off right there. Seeing as how he can't bitch about Dennis this game or can/will he? Six of one or half a dozen of the other.

Dennis was a lot better in this game than in the whole of the last one, although his fourth quarter was good in Dallas. He may have taken 21 shots but he was trying to create a lot for his teammates, maybe too much in the third quarter. And it wasn't just threes, although everyone that had the threes are historically good three point shooters. I should have likely turned this game off and moved on when I saw Dedmon's open floater that was created by Dennis go from halfway down to popping out.

4 hours ago, JTB said:

I believe this is correct to an extent  but Howard Truly had nothing to do with us losing this game in my opinion. As someone already pointed out the 3rd quarter we missed many wide open shots created by Dennis and shot 25% in that quarter. To make matters worse it wasn’t just any player missing these wide open shots, it was our veteran 3pt shooters who missed these  open shots! Babbit, Marco, Illayasova ....those 3 had opportunities after opportunities to put the game away. 

I would say “growing pains” like bazemore suggested after the game but honestly and again  the guys who were missing the wide open looks were our 3pt vets we signed. I’m more in tune with the Dennis comment after the game:

“We had open shots,” Dennis Schröder said. “Open floaters, open shots, pull-up jumpers but we didn’t make them. It’s a part of basketball. Sometimes you make them and sometimes you miss them. Tonight we missed them in the second half.”

I’m not sure there was something to learn from this other than “hey make your open shots” but that’s common sense. I mean the offense was ran to perfection for such a young group and defense was ok could be better of course but I don’t think that’s what lost the game. All starters shot the ball well (most were above 50%) except Ersan. The bench let us down in game 2 of 82. I just hope they (bench) play like game 1 more often than not this season. The only thing I’m pissed about is the vet 3pt shooters missing their open shots ...other than that it was a good game.

I agree with you but the reason we went almost exclusively perimeter was Dwight. Against Dallas we scored 50+ points in the paint. When you're not shooting well your supposed to go to the basket. We kept jacking jumpers. When Dwight was out with foul trouble Dennis attacked the rim relentlessly which helped us build our lead. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

I agree with you but the reason we went almost exclusively perimeter was Dwight. Against Dallas we scored 50+ points in the paint. When you're not shooting well your supposed to go to the basket. We kept jacking jumpers. When Dwight was out with foul trouble Dennis attacked the rim relentlessly which helped us build our lead. 

Understand....I get where you’re coming from.

youre right if the jumper isn’t falling go to the basket couldn’t agree more! But I just can’t argue with the majority of shots taken in that quarter due to them being open.

if we had another capable player that could take him man off the dribble and get to the goal at will like Dennis we’d be better off (I guess this would be where Bembry comes in).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thomas said:

Exactly my thoughts. Delaney is a guy that can look ok in a boxscore but is just lost on both ends of the floor. It got old last year and after two games this year its looking like the same thing.

The Delaney play that pissed me off the most was the one at the end of the quarter.  We get the ball with less than 10 seconds he pulls up and clanks a contested off the dribble mid range shot when Kent Bazemore is wide open in the corner for 3 with no-one within 5 feet of him. Baze is just clapping his hands and then gives the WTF face after he sees that shot. The guy is not PG and fancies himself an elite scorer when he's not. 

• Like 1