• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young - 2020 All-Star Starter

NBASupes

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Amazingly slow process for them to get it. Even ESPN has shown more highlights this season of Trae which I am sure is like pulling a tooth for them. But overall I see what you are saying about sports writers in general. Makes you wonder how many minutes they have actually watched of Trae on the floor. 

They haven't watched Hawks' games, but it wouldn't matter if they did.  They hate Atlanta sports and it seems as if they're offended that a player for the Hawks has been this good and has this kind of fan support.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, Jody23 said:

If Trae makes it into the all star game, it will be because of the fan and player votes.  The media is on an all out campaign to keep him out of the game all together and it really is sad.

I don't know how much support Trae would get from players...but i'm not even sure how the player vote works. I know coaches can't vote for their own players when voting for the reserves, but can players vote for their own teammates? 
We know Trae wont get votes from Celtics, Raptors, 6ers, , Nets, and Pistons players, because they want their own guy to start.

• Moderators
On 1/18/2020 at 3:25 PM, marco102 said:

Good Article by K.L. Chounard about why Trae is an allstar

https://www.nba.com/hawks/6-reasons-trae-young-all-star 

This stood out to me.  This kid will be scary in his prime if this continues (He's already pretty devastating offensively).  

I remember when we first drafted Trae and @AHF had concerns about the 30 footers.  If he shoots them like that, pull up from the logo Trae..haha.

BTW, this is no way a call out, AHF.  Just remember the conversation we had then.  

Him shooting them this effectively fully addresses the the concerns I raised.  I didn't want to see him shooting 25% from long-range and doing it to "keep defenses honest" or "stretch them", etc.  Him shooting roughly 40% from there means efficient offense and legit defense stretching which cascades into a long list of nice benefits.  

I'm fully on board with efficient shooting, deep-range Trae.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Trae Young, Atlanta – OK, since I believe I’m one of the few national guys that actually sits through entire Hawks games, let me take the conch on this one: Trae Young is one of the 12 best players in the East.

I get why coaches might be inclined to leave him off their ballots if he isn’t voted in as a starter. He’s a horrible defensive player and his team is getting pummeled. It’s just hard to pin too much of this on Young.

The Hawks are dead-last in the NBA in Offensive Efficiency … but with Young on the court they’re 19th, despite having basically no second option besides Young. Meanwhile, in the 16.4 minutes a game he doesn’t play they’ve posted an almost unspeakably bad 90.4 Offensive Rating – 13 points per 100 worse than the worst team in the league! Read that again – this is insane! Yes, it’s partly because the Hawks weirdly decided not to employ a backup point guard this year, but it also underscores that Atlanta has no viable secondary options even when Young plays. The offense is him running pick-and-roll, again and again and again and again. Somehow, he makes it happen.

I can’t vote Young as a starter ahead of Walker when Walker is playing much more meaningful minutes and not padding his numbers in garbage time the way Young is. But against the next tier of guards, Young clearly has the advantage. He’s a one-man offensive engine who makes virtually every decision for a team that essentially has no other serious threats.

Sure, you wish he was bigger and fought more on the defensive end. I also wish Ben Simmons could make 3-pointers and that Kemba Walker was 8 feet tall. Even with their shortcomings those players are no-brainer All-Stars. While I can’t quite put Young in the “no-brainer” category, he can be a bottom-10 defensive player in the league and still have value; his offense is that potent. Besides, most of the players he’s competing with for this slot are also quite bad defensively, and none of them are in his stratosphere as an offensive player.

Unfortunately, there’s a real risk he’ll be left off if he isn’t voted in a starter. About 15 years ago the coaches unilaterally hijacked the selection process with their own “it should be a reward for winning” bullshit, with the result being that a lot of second options on teams with barely winning records have made the team; virtually all the worst selections in recent history have this one element in common. Let’s hope history doesn’t repeat itself this year.

• Thanks 2

i think the starters will be announced tonight. If Trae is not one of them , then we might have to campaign for our guy with some catchy #s slogans ,or protests. I'm gonna be pissed if Trae gets completely shut out of the All-star game. 😡

• Like 4

18 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I agree with most of what he said except this.  I don't think this is really true.  

Hollinger may be flashing back to last year when Trae was searching for a couple of rebounds late in a game to get a triple double. Other than that believe Hollinger is off about Trae stat padding.

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

Zach Lowe has him in...as a reserve.

Does that reflect the actual votes (i.e., here are the starters and now let me tell you how I would choose the reserves) or just how these guys would fill the entire roster if they were the ones doing it (i.e., these are the 5 guys I think should be a starter and these are the ones who I would pick as a reserve)?

46 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

Zach Lowe has him in...as a reserve.

That was a bunch of Bull$hit.  Lowe had Trae as the last guy in the east and even says he looked hard for other players to put in over Trae but just couldn't find anyone. With Kyrie sitting out nearly the entire first half, there are not 2 guards better in the East than Trae. He has Lowry as a starter over Trae. Really?  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1