• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young - 2020 All-Star Starter

NBASupes

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Does that reflect the actual votes (i.e., here are the starters and now let me tell you how I would choose the reserves) or just how these guys would fill the entire roster if they were the ones doing it (i.e., these are the 5 guys I think should be a starter and these are the ones who I would pick as a reserve)?

im not sure how it works, but here are last year’s voting results , from the Fans , media and players.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/allstar/NBA_2019_voting-backcourt-eastern-conference.html

Edited by pimp
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

Does that reflect the actual votes (i.e., here are the starters and now let me tell you how I would choose the reserves) or just how these guys would fill the entire roster if they were the ones doing it (i.e., these are the 5 guys I think should be a starter and these are the ones who I would pick as a reserve)?

No. Starters won't be announced til tonight I think. The Lowe column was just his opinion on who the starters and reserves should be. He doesn't think Trae should even be considered a starter because the Hawks suck. As a reserve, he basically said he couldn't find anyone else worth taking the last spot so Trae go it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, AHF said:

It is complete (ignore the fan vote, I'm smarter) bull.  Why I didn't link to it.  

Eastern Conference

Starters

G Kemba Walker
G Kyle Lowry
FC Giannis Antetokounmpo
FC Jimmy Butler
FC Joel Embiid

• The toughest dilemma is the second guard next to Walker, enjoying maybe the best shooting season of his career and driving with a head-down, north-south decisiveness that has him commanding Boston's offense without monopolizing it. He is still a showman -- a crouched blur of in-and-out dribbles and crossovers -- without any wasted motion.

By the numbers, that second guard is either Ben Simmons or Trae Young -- two strange, polarizing players with diametrically opposed holes in their games.

Young's statistics are overwhelming: 29 points per game and almost nine assists; nice shooting marks considering his volume of 3s; and advanced numbers that lap the field. But you can't be the worst defensive player in the league on the team with the second-worst record and start the All-Star Game. Can we see Young hold a defensive stance for more than two consecutive seconds first?

• Young is a great offensive player and a sinkhole on the other end. Simmons is a very good offensive player and a multipositional destroyer on defense. Entire Philadelphia lineups exist and survive only because Simmons can cover any opposing player. He should be a Defensive Player of the Year candidate.

Last two in

Trae Young
Jaylen Brown

• It's fair to ask why Young gets in over Beal and Zach LaVine -- other offense-first scorers on awful teams. I thought about disqualifying all three and picking a second player on a good team. I just couldn't find a persuasive case.

Tatum has the best dossier, but he is shooting a career-worst 47% on 2s and is the fourth-best passer among Boston's heavy-rotation guys.

Tatum is ahead of Brown as a distributor, and underrated on defense -- Brown's equal. Brad Stevens has leaned most on Tatum to prop up Boston's offense when Walker rests. I'd bet on Tatum being better than Brown over his career -- and probably over the rest of this season.

But Tatum and Brown are still mostly finishers, and Brown -- 39% from deep, 55% on 2s -- has finished more accurately over the relevant sample. Tatum's case isn't so strong that Boston should get a third All-Star.

• Brogdon was the other really tough omission. He carried Indiana early, and has formed a delightful wink-wink chemistry with Sabonis. Brogdon's numbers -- including games missed -- are roughly equal to Lowry's. But Brogdon averages seven fewer minutes per game, gets to the line less, and is shooting a tick worse from deep on way fewer attempts. He isn't quite as dynamic -- and not a five-time All-Star coming off a championship.

Spencer Dinwiddie, Fred VanVleet, and Devonte' Graham faded.

Tobias Harris is so valuable to Philly as a shape-shifter. He is up to 36% from deep, and he has improved defending wings -- a must for this weirdo roster. But he is a paint-by-numbers playmaker, and his case isn't compelling enough to grant Philly a third All-Star.

• Other sneaky good candidates on decent-and-better teams who just miss: Eric Bledsoe, T.J. Warren, Nikola Vucevic and Evan Fournier. I selected Bledsoe ahead of Middleton last season, and by some measures, Bledsoe has been even better this time around. He is an All-Defensive candidate again.

But Middleton has surpassed him on the Bucks' hierarchy. Fifteen points and five dimes per game just doesn't get it done in this field.

Derrick Rose has been great, but he was until recently a bench player operating under a minutes restriction. Andre Drummond is not it.

• And now, the loudest debate in the league: Trae Young.

I couldn't exclude Young just because Atlanta is slightly more terrible than the also terrible Wizards and Bulls. With John Collins suspended 25 games, the Hawks didn't have an NBA-level roster. With Young on the floor now, they are a normal bad team; they at least have a chance. Without him, the Hawks are roadkill: minus-13 points per 100 possessions, which is more or less grounds for relegation.

Beal's numbers -- 27.5 points and six dimes per game -- are a tick behind Young's. Beal also is shooting an ugly (for him) 31% from deep; Young is at 37% on much higher volume. Beal hasn't been the same since leg issues flared up.

Beal is the superior defender almost by default, but it has been a rough season and a half for him on that end. His advanced metrics -- overall and some measuring just defense -- are below Young's. The Wizards have been staggeringly worse with Beal on the floor. There is a ton of noise in those numbers, but they are so dramatic, you can't totally ignore them.

I voted Beal All-NBA last season. I just can't find the case to choose him over Young now.

• I can't quite get there with LaVine, despite his recent scoring surge. He tries harder than Young on defense, but LaVine is still harmful. The biggest difference is in their playmaking: Young averages 8.6 dimes per game with a nearly 2-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio; LaVine has 177 assists -- about four per game -- and 147 turnovers.

Some of that is built into the constructions of their teams. Young is everything for the Hawks; LaVine splits ballhandling duties with several players. Young also has coughed the ball up more than everyone but Harden.

But just watch them and you know: Young is a visionary playmaker. LaVine's passing is more prosaic. If he wants to win, Young has to reorient his game 30 degrees or so in the team-first direction. He can get a little hoggy over-dribbling, and perhaps assist-hunting. He needs to move and screen when he doesn't have the ball instead of standing around, waiting to get it back.

But Young profiles as the No. 1 shot-creator of a functional NBA offense -- the most valuable player type in the league; he's in, by a slim margin.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, HawkItus said:

It is complete (ignore the fan vote, I'm smarter) bull.  Why I didn't link to it.  

I don't mind that at all.  Commentators can offer their own opinions.  I may disagree with them but have at it.

I was worried that the votes might have flipped at the last minute and taken Trae out of the starting ranks.