• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ask Supes

NBASupes

13 minutes ago, terrell said:

I think I might just pass. Keep our picks and fill out rest of the bench in FA..Its not like he(whoever it is) is gonna make us a Championship contender...We can make the Playoffs without trading for PG13(or whoever it is) imo..

I think we are close to getting into the playoffs but we need some assurance and there is another reason why you do this deal.  More Exposure for the team.  Imagine having a PG13 here (even know that he isnt the same player about couple of years back but still a top 25 player) and he actually like it here and want to stay here maybe bring along few more players to work with the young guns of Trae, Collins, Cam and others.

And even if he did leave and go to another team, the only thing we will lose is a draft pick in a weak draft and pick that might not even come to us and still have enough cap room to get other players and resigned our own as well.

Edited by NekiEcko
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

I think we are close to getting into the playoffs but we need some assurance and there is another reason why you do this deal.  More Exposure for the team.  Imagine having a PG13 here (even know that he isnt the same player about couple of years back but still a top 25 player) and he actually like it here and want to stay here maybe bring along few more players to work with the young guns of Trae, Collins, Cam and others.

And even if he did leave and go to another team, the only thing we will lose is a draft pick in a weak draft and pick that might not even come to us and still have enough cap room to get other players and resigned our own as well.

Losing a top 6 pick and a 2021 1st in a strong draft is not something I would use the only thing for... I think if the Hawks bite, they have to look at their roster again. Is Trae Young and John Collins ready to be in this type of role. I would really make sure about this one because if you are wrong...

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Losing a top 6 pick and a 2021 1st in a strong draft is not something I would use the only thing for... I think if the Hawks bite, they have to look at their roster again. Is Trae Young and John Collins ready to be in this type of role. I would really make sure about this one because if you are wrong...

This can go one of two ways :

1.  PG embraces his role as elder statesman showing the young guys the way (he was a young leader on the Indy team) or

2. It will go the way of Butler in Minny where he and the young core doesn't mesh.

The biggest question is, will he sulk and be real unhappy after getting traded to play in his home state, only to get traded again?

1 hour ago, terrell said:

"Theyre dropping Harrell? I dont blame them after that bubble performance... lol

They can't pay 12-15 million for a backup center in their system. 

It's also overstated how much of a lock he is for Toronto. They like him but they aren't that in for him. There aren't a lot of larger than full MLE teams out there but for the ones that are out there, teams like Charlotte aren't the most appealing teams to Harrell at this stage of his career. 

Also, FVV isn't a lock to be gone from Toronto either. They want to keep him, it's just the right price tag is what they are targeting. 

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

The Hawks can't trade both the 2020 pick and the 2021 pick.  It'll have to be a pick swap in 2021 or a 2022 draft pick. 

Everyone's been talking about the return on this draft is less than a normal draft. If we can get a PG13 for a #6 pick who may not contribute to winning for a couple years and may be an above average player and a 2021 pick swap, then I think you do it. 

The pros outweigh the cons in my book. If PG leaves, we still have some cap space to continue making moves.   We can use that to get a good free agent or get addtional draft capital. 

If he stays, it'll be even better for attracting other free agents.  Who knows, he may turn back the clock and help the Hawks get to the finals. 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, marco102 said:

The Hawks can't trade both the 2020 pick and the 2021 pick.  It'll have to be a pick swap in 2021 or a 2022 draft pick. 

I'd be ok with it being the OKC 2022 1st. 🤓

Just now, warcore said:

Pretty sure they can if the first pick is for the current draft. See the Trae/Luka deal.

Dallas actually still had a pick in that draft. they didn't trade out

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, warcore said:

Pretty sure they can if the first pick is for the current draft. See the Trae/Luka deal.

That was a pick swap. Atlanta got #5 and Dallas got #3. 

Next year Atlanta, got #10. 

So in this case, the pick swap happened the first year instead of the second. 

You can't straight up trade your draft picks in back to back drafts. 

• Like 3

Call me a skeptic, but this trade is not happening. I'd make an avatar bet with anyone here that it doesn't. Clippers are going to tweak the roster and run it back. Ty Lue isn't trading away PG for a couple draft picks. Unless AD has a secret deal with the Clippers and they need PG13's max slot, this trade is not happening. 

Edited by bleachkit

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Call me a skeptic, but this trade is not happening. I'd make an avatar bet with anyone here that it doesn't. Clippers are going to tweak the roster and run it back. Ty Lue isn't trading away PG for a couple draft picks. Unless AD has a secret deal with the Clippers and they need PG13's max slot, this trade is not happening. 

Why would anyone make that bet.  Even Supes wouldn't.  Teams have discussions all the time, that's all this is - Teams having discussions, as are we Squawkers,  not about what WILL happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, marco102 said:

That was a pick swap. Atlanta got #5 and Dallas got #3. 

Next year Atlanta, got #10. 

So in this case, the pick swap happened the first year instead of the second. 

You can't straight up trade your draft picks in back to back drafts. 

This is correct. I stated Minny wants a deal like Dallas. A pick swap and a next year top 5 protected 1st. I didn't get deeper than that but you would be correct, if a 3rd team gets that pick, Atlanta wouldn't be able to trade their 2021 1st round pick which is why the RealGM poster said 2022 1st round instead and didn't disagree, just that LAC wants you to finance them getting CP3 or Horford. 

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

This is correct. I stated Minny wants a deal like Dallas. A pick swap and a next year top 5 protected 1st. I didn't get deeper than that but you would be correct, if a 3rd team gets that pick, Atlanta wouldn't be able to trade their 2021 1st round pick which is why the RealGM poster said 2022 1st round instead and didn't disagree, just that LAC wants you to finance them getting CP3 or Horford. 

What does this mean? 

When I think finance, it seems you're taking on a bad contract from the other team.  PG13 isn't considered a bad contract or am I over thinking this.

Edited by marco102

33 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Why would anyone make that bet.  Even Supes wouldn't.  Teams have discussions all the time, that's all this is - Teams having discussions, as are we Squawkers,  not about what WILL happen.

I guess having long discussion about trades that have basically no likelihood of occurring isn't my cup of tea.

Just now, marco102 said:

What does this mean? 

I want you to use your cap space to get me this player. For example, If I trade PG13, it has to be within a certain % of his salary for the deal to be approved by the league office. So if I traded PG for let's say Andrew Wiggins and the 1st pick which if based on last year is 8,046,300, the deal is final but what if I wanted someone else in the deal other than Wiggins but salary wise Wiggins is the only thing that works. Well, you can trade Wiggins to a 3rd team who has the room to take on Wiggins. Now, does a team want to take on Wiggins is a bigger question. Probably not. So you would be limited to the 1st overall pick and Wiggins. 

But if I trade PG13 to Atlanta, they can take him salary wise without sending ANYTHING back. That means that frees up a lot of cap space for my team but oh oh, LAC has 35 million in cap space if they are at the cap BUT the issue is, all of the players you have like Harrell, Morris, Jackson, etc who are RFA or UFA, you have to sign with that money so that money isn't easy to use as it mainly hurts your team. So let's say a team wants to finance for you. Atlanta takes on PG13 while giving nothing back. A 3rd team can trade you a player up the % of that player's deal. This means that PG makes 35 million.

• For a “non-taxpaying” team, a traded player may be simultaneously (i.e., in the same transaction) replaced by one or more players acquired by assignment whose salaries in the aggregate do not exceed the greater of (i) the lesser of (A) 175% of the salaries of the players being traded plus $100,000, or (B) the salaries of the players being traded plus $5 million, or (ii) 125% of the salaries of the players being traded plus $100,000.

• For a “taxpaying” team, a traded player may be simultaneously replaced by one or more players acquired by assignment whose salaries in the aggregate do not exceed 125% of the salaries of the players being traded plus $100,000.

So OKC could trade CP3 at 38 million to LAC while Atlanta traded nothing in return. This is what I call financing the deal. You are basically anchoring them for this deal. The benefit for LAC is that they can get a player like Paul without having to go under the cap to resign their other players. They also get to maintain their full MLE and can go into the LT to add to and maintain their roster. 

This was just for example. 

• Thanks 2

• Admin

Im good with PG13 for the draft picks ...it’s time for us to move forward ... not get younger.

he is a vet who can be that second / third banana with Trae and JC.

He is a phenomenal defender and the offense is not depended just on him so he can let it come with less pressure.  Cam, Kev and Hunter can learn a lot from him too.

We make this trade we take the next step ...

• Like 2

• Admin

Grab Dunn (let Teague walk) and find some backup PF out there ... although Hunter can play some backup pf as well as I am interested in what Skal can bring.  Maybe sign Giles for cheap.

bringing in PG and Clint and adding to this team will make us playoff and potentially even East contenders.

• Like 1

My issues with PanP are with his attitude.  Would he come here thinking it's "his" team?  If so, that could go south fast.

Of course, I'm humoring this discussion as it's a clear smokescreen to throw us off the real deal (rhymes with Lawhi Keonard, wink, wink). 😎