• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Collins has to PROVE more! Sorry but the clock starts now...

JTB

• Premium Member

John Collins wants to be known as a do-it-all big man in the NBA. His growth during his first three seasons suggests that he can get to the level he aspires to reach.

He became a 40-percent 3-point shooter this past season in just his second year as a perimeter ........ After struggling for most of his second season as a rim protector, Collins finished 16th in block percentage this year.

Collins isn’t close to being a finished product, but the Hawks have to be pleased with the work he has put in to become one of the best young power forwards in the league....... Collins wants to become more of a shot creator and ballhandler.  Adding a competency on the short roll for Collins could make the Hawks that much better offensively because defenders will have to close out on him as he rolls to the rim. That likely would leave someone like Kevin Huerter or another shooter in the corner alone.

“Eventually that pass he makes after the pick-and-roll from Trae to the corner to Kevin is going to be something that he isn’t even thinking about anymore,” assistant general manager Landry Fields said. “It’ll be an unconscious confidence that he’d have achieved. That’s what we’re fighting for, and I think what he’s fighting for

“There are other areas as a facilitator that are important — playing out of a double like what we’ve seen in the playoffs with some of the bigs in our league, playing out of the post, being able to make plays for kick-out 3s,” Hawks coach Lloyd Pierce said. “Bam (Adebayo) is kind of that great example right now. (Nikola) Jokic is a great example. The real element is can you move your bigs into different areas and allow them to still be effective? (Collins is) gonna develop some putting the ball on the floor. He’s gonna develop some playing out of the elbow and post. He’s gonna develop some playing in that trail spot when we have to reverse the ball through him. He’s put in the work. That’s going to be important for him, and he understands that.”

What’s encouraging about the last part of Pierce’s quote is Collins has put in the work. He has worked with assistant coach Chris Jent this offseason so extensively that the Hawks had to force Collins to take days off before their minicamp began a few weeks ago.

“Offensive creation is one of the most important things you can have in basketball, and I’m working on that every day,” Collins said.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2020/10/18151942/Collins-passing-.mp4?_=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Yeah, I've been trying to get my wife into basketball by showing her all the good the Hawks org, Trae, and Collins have been doing for the city.  It's great to see.  

Also, happy to finally get an account created and join the forum -- been lurking a while!

Welcome to The Squawk! The more the merrier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Yeah, I've been trying to get my wife into basketball by showing her all the good the Hawks org, Trae, and Collins have been doing for the city.  It's great to see.  

Also, happy to finally get an account created and join the forum -- been lurking a while!

Welcome to the family.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Our guys have been doing good things in Atlanta.  Welcome to the conversation!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

John Collins, Atlanta — $25,644,959

Collins is young, athletic and offensively awesome, but he’s not quite a max guy. You’ll occasionally hear scuttlebutt that the Hawks aren’t totally sold on him, and if he’s looking for a max extension, I think Atlanta is certainly better off waiting. The Hawks still can match any offer a year from now, or go out to a fifth year if he plays so well that he becomes max-worthy.

On the other hand, a four-year, no-options deal for anything at $110 million or less starts looking pretty nice from the Hawks’ perspective. Atlanta has one of the league’s cleanest cap sheets going forward and, even with a likely max deal on Trae Young hitting its books, can afford to have Collins at a number in the mid-20s.

Also notable: With Young likely to get one designated rookie extension and fingers still crossed that the sixth pick this year might merit one too, Atlanta not using a designated rookie spot on Collins could potentially be helpful down the road.

Finally, here’s one other angle to consider: What if they gave Collins a five-year max, but had raises that declined by 8 percent? His value relative to the cap would keep going up just as the rest of the Hawks’ sheet was filling up with other deals (like Young’s), and the only negative is the Year 1 overpay when they have too much room anyway. A five-year deal set up that way would be worth $118 million

A slightly less extreme version of the same deal would start at the max but have no raises over the five years, for a value of $140 million. The devil is in the details, but a construction like this is one way to give Collins the “max” while still giving the Hawks a chance to win the back end of the contract. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Chris Kirchner via the Athletic:

Re-sign John Collins to a four-year, $85 million extension 

Collins wants a max contract. I would be shocked if he got a maximum offer this offseason because there’s no reason to give him one this early. He hasn’t established himself in the highest tier of players in the league, although he’s very, very good and could get there if he adds some playmaking ability and continues to improve defensively, which he can.

Collins did say last offseason that he would prefer to get a contract extension done now, which makes sense because it gives him peace of mind that when next season comes along, his contract is already done and he’ll have a significant pay increase from his rookie deal. If both sides can agree to a deal that makes sense for both sides, that’s what should be done. Collins should be treated as a franchise centerpiece. There are not many players in the league who are a walking 20-10 machine and are above league average from 3, but he’s not a max player just yet.

“Regardless if everything doesn’t go exactly how I wanted, business is business, things happen, negotiations and so forth, but for me, always sooner rather than later,” Collins said. “I would always want to get it done now than later … security-wise and going forth I could say a million reasons why I want to get it done now … so, sooner. This summer.”

An $85 million extension is a fair number for Collins. And it should be noted that if the Hawks did agree to this number, they would be losing roughly $9 million in flexibility next summer because Collins’ cap hold next offseason is $12.4 million.

Would it be best if the Hawks could keep that entire $12.4 million in flexibility and just decide to figure out what the market is for him next offseason? Sure, but Collins should be treated as one of the stars on this team, and making him happy would be worth it for the franchise. Have him involved in free-agency pitches and discussions on who the team should target moving forward. He loves Atlanta, is one of the smartest players on the roster and is genuinely one of the most likable players across the league.

https://theathletic.com/2195389/2020/11/13/atlanta-hawks-travis-schlenk-nba-offseason/?source=dailyemail

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Hollinger had a clever idea in The Athletic:

What if they gave Collins a five-year max, but had raises that declined by 8 percent? His value relative to the cap would keep going up just as the rest of the Hawks’ sheet was filling up with other deals (like Young’s), and the only negative is the Year 1 overpay when they have too much room anyway. A five-year deal set up that way would be worth $118 million

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

smh

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/eleven-established-nba-players-more-160012627.html

Develop a mid 1st to a 20/10 guy improving on defense ...... only to replace him with a rookie who probably won't be able to score for at least a couple years.

How does this make sense?

We should all send these idiots our big man rotation from last year, just the names, nothing else:

Alex Len, Damian Jones, Jabari Parker, Vince Carter

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

smh

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/eleven-established-nba-players-more-160012627.html

Develop a mid 1st to a 20/10 guy improving on defense ...... only to replace him with a rookie who probably won't be able to score for at least a couple years.

How does this make sense?

I kinda blame the Hawks organization for not squashing this misconception strong enough!   They come out very strong in their defense of their core but not Collins.  I wonder why?

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I kinda blame the Hawks organization for not squashing this misconception strong enough!   They come out very strong in their defense of their core but not Collins.  I wonder why?

Because they've been shopping him and he was likely a piece of the mega trade supes was citing.  If I had to guess, they've had talks with him about extensions and they don't agree on price.