• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Clint Capela

Vol4ever

2 hours ago, AHF said:

We might end up doing some offense / defense substitutions in end of game situations to address this. 

Guys that are really bad free throw shooters like Capela should try the granny-style Rick Berry free throw technique. Once you get it down, it's honestly easier to shoot free throws throws that way. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

With Donovan out in OKC, and CO3 on the move (probable). Steven Adams may also be on the move.

We had the debate at the trade deadline on Steven Adams for the #17 pick. We got Calela instead.

Thoughts? 

I like Capela's athleticism more. Capela also proved in Houston's switching defense that he can keep up with guys 2-5. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

With Donovan out in OKC, and CO3 on the move (probable). Steven Adams may also be on the move.

We had the debate at the trade deadline on Steven Adams for the #17 pick. We got Calela instead.

Thoughts? 

We aren't trading for Adams but I know Charlotte wanted him badly.

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Thoughts? 

Adams is sorry!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I like Capela's athleticism more. Capela also proved in Houston's switching defense that he can keep up with guys 2-5. 

I think this is a great point! Capela was awesome and did everything that was asked without complaining. During these times Capela was Bam before Bam but without the playmaking HOWEVER the rockets did ask capela to add more weight (good weight) in order to matchup better with bigger centers so if you’re watching those highlights of Houston’s switching defense from 2 or 3 years ago be careful to not assume that’s what we are getting here in Atlanta. I’m not capela isn’t good defensively because he still is but he was lighter those years when Houston was playing a heavy switching defense and hasn’t played at that weight since then. NONETHELESS he’s still capable of switching when need be and still very good at protecting the rim! I just like to acknowledge his speed at this bigger weight is a bit slower.

hes a better fit than Adams for trae no doubt at the end of the day 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Capela is downright nasty when it comes to protecting the rim.

Just imagine having this behind Trae now. If Cam and Hunter become above average on ball defenders, and JC improves, we may have the making of a good defensive unit.

He has great timing and anticipation even if he isn't in perfect position, even when he get beats from the perimeter he's still quick enough to get back to the rim and affect the shot.  I also like his ability to make a block with either hand.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Capela is downright nasty when it comes to protecting the rim.

Just imagine having this behind Trae now. If Cam and Hunter become above average on ball defenders, and JC improves, we may have the making of a good defensive unit.

Yep

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We have to figure out what we’re doing on the defensive end and what his strengths are. He’s a great defensive rebounder. He’s done a pretty good job with rim protection. We’re not going to switch as much as Houston did, so in those moments we’re not, we have to figure out what coverages work best for him and what we’re trying to do are some of the things he likes to do. One of the things I’ll say is he’s done a tremendous job talking about defense.

Capela is going to be more than ok here in Atlanta that’s for sure. I never doubted that ...I KNOW he’s going to succeed here.

if I had to make a bold prediction going into the season about the team defense it would be this....

a month and half into the season we will see Capela, Cam, & Hunter really geling on defense together. This trio will make us solid defensively when they are on the court at the same time. Once these 3 really rolling it will make like easier for Trae and John to join the party

• Like 3

• Moderators

I'm so happy now to have Clint.  I have to say i wanted Adams but after watching Adams a lot in the playoffs I'm happy we didn't get him.  I've never seen a guy with so much size be so uninterested in scoring.  don't get me wrong, he's great at a ton of stuff but he is capable of doing more.   

• Like 2