Coach Bud was never that good of a coach

NBASupes

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

Do you think Milwaukee was clearly a better team than Toronto?  If not, why would it would it be a "massive disappointment" to lose to a team that is similar or better?

For the Hawks, I would say if you put Pops in as coach of the 2014-15 team and play the season 200 times that we win the title 0 of those times and probably don't even make the finals except in the scenarios where LeBron goes down with a season ending injury.  We were outclassed on talent more than outcoached. 

Well, put simply yes, Bucks were comfortably a better a team during the regular season having the seasons best SRS (strength adjusted point differential) at 8.00 compared to Toronto's 5.89  Also dropping four in a row and two straight in your home court when you have the MVP on your team is a disapointment. Ask a Bucks fan if they were not dissapointed after that series. Silly question honestly. 

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I think this is premature to bury him.  First, I've already stated a couple of times that this post-season is very abnormal and should be prone to more upsets.  It is not a continuation of the regular season.  Second, it is one game so far so agree with @JTB that it is too early to get too worked up.

Losing 4-2 in the ECF to the eventual NBA champions last season is nothing to be ashamed of.  Our ECF (only ECF in our history) was much more embarrassing but I don't think that was a situation where we could have won it with a key adjustment or two.  

Bud burned some of his goodwill with me with the selfish way he left the team and hearing this week that JC didn't get the playing time he deserved as a rookie because Bud was butting heads with Schlenk doesn't help.  So I'm not rooting for the guy in the way I would with other former Hawks but I still have a healthy respect for his coaching ability.  

To me he is clearly not on the level of someone like Pops but he is somewhere in the second or third tier of the league's best coaches.  Milwaukee could do (and has done) much worse.

Bubble basketball has been great! Lot's of scoring, guys are rested and ready for games. And finally upsets! NBA is usually more predictable than a Hallmark movie, not so this year.

Edited by bleachkit
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, AHF said:

That Toronto coach was fired after not winning a game outside of the first round.  Bud won the second round series and several games in the ECF.  My point, which apparently I didn't make clearly, was that #1 seeds aren't necessarily prohibitive favorites to win the conference in the playoffs.  It is not unusual to see them lose when they aren't the most talented roster in the league.

Do you think Milwaukee was clearly a better team than Toronto?  If not, why would it would it be a "massive disappointment" to lose to a team that is similar or better?

For the Hawks, I would say if you put Pops in as coach of the 2014-15 team and play the season 200 times that we win the title 0 of those times and probably don't even make the finals except in the scenarios where LeBron goes down with a season ending injury.  We were outclassed on talent more than outcoached. 

The Bucks in 2019 were clear favorites to do so. The Hawks in 2015 were not, but they also weren't expected to struggle against bad teams in the first two rounds and then get embarrassed in the ECF. To say the Hawks and Bucks impressed, or even met expectatinos in the playoffs is incorrect.

1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

Bubble basketball has been great! Lot's of scoring, guys are rested and ready for games. And finally upsets! NBA is usually more predictable than a Hallmark movie, not so this year.

This is the only thing I don't like.  I mean I love me some scoring, but the playoffs should be a little tougher in my eyes.  They should let them play tougher defense in the playoffs.  I don't think that's been the case. 

1 minute ago, marco102 said:

This is the only thing I don't like.  I mean I love me some scoring, but the playoffs should be a little tougher in my eyes.  They should let them play tougher defense in the playoffs.  I don't think that's been the case. 

Well guys are hitting shots, tough shots too. Only thing I don't like is the BS techs they have been calling. The Porzingis ejection was the worst. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

Well guys are hitting shots, tough shots too. Only thing I don't like is the BS techs they have been calling. The Porzingis ejection was the worst. 

The Porzingis ejection was by the book.  Even Porzingis admitted he made a mistake by escalating the situation.  Morris knew what would happen and he got Prozingis thrown out the game. 

Now, if Porzingis had simply stared at someone and got ejected. I'd be more inclined to agree with you. 

Just now, marco102 said:

The Porzingis ejection was by the book.  Even Porzingis admitted he made a mistake by escalating the situation.  Morris knew what would happen and he got Prozingis thrown out the game. 

Now, if Porzingis had simply stared at someone and got ejected. I'd be more inclined to agree with you. 

I know it was by the book. The book is stupid. You cant hand out techs like candy, it's the playoffs. 

17 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Yes it was, therefore the ejection is BS. NBA refs need to get a thicker skin. 

I saw a comment that said refs should be forced to sit out a game for every 3 or 4 techs they hand out so they can emotionally recover. 😂

But seriously double tech ejections shouldn’t exist. Some of the calls are way too soft and inconsistent. Just do what hockey does and force a player to sit for a certain amount of time. If they get a third tech then you can eject them.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

The Bucks in 2019 were clear favorites to do so. The Hawks in 2015 were not, but they also weren't expected to struggle against bad teams in the first two rounds and then get embarrassed in the ECF. To say the Hawks and Bucks impressed, or even met expectatinos in the playoffs is incorrect.

Here were the betting odds coming into the season:

image.png

The odds were very close by the time the actual playoffs arrived.  This was not a situation where there was a clear favorite.  This was a 4 horse race situation.

image.png

Here is what a clear favorite looks like:

image.png

8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Beating Orlando without Issac and Gordon is not impressive. It's not impressive with them either. 

I think the next round will be the real litmus test for Bud.

Miami is a very balanced team that is well coached.  I personally wouldn't be shocked if they beat Milwaukee in 7 games next round.  That team plays very well together.  I hate to say it, but I actually like watching Miami play.  I wish we had a well rounded player like Jimmy Butler as the leader of this team.

Having said that, Milwaukee SHOULD win that series in no less than 6 games, seeing that they're the best defensive team in the league.

This should be a cakewalk to the ECF for Bud.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I think the next round will be the real litmus test for Bud.

Miami is a very balanced team that is well coached.  I personally wouldn't be shocked if they beat Milwaukee in 7 games next round.  That team plays very well together.  I hate to say it, but I actually like watching Miami play.  I wish we had a well rounded player like Jimmy Butler as the leader of this team.

Having said that, Milwaukee SHOULD win that series in no less than 6 games, seeing that they're the best defensive team in the league.

This should be a cakewalk to the ECF for Bud.

How can a “well coached, balanced team” be a “test” for Bud and a “cakewalk” all at once?

• Like 3