• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thoughts on Okongwu?

gsuteke

• Premium Member
Just now, MarylandHawk said:

He could technically play with Cappella depending on the defensive match up. As long as the other three guys can shoot, pass, and dribble.   The paint would be on lock. 

Also, he projects to be a good perimeter defender on stretch fours too. 

1 minute ago, MarylandHawk said:

He could technically play with Cappella depending on the defensive match up. As long as the other three guys can shoot, pass, and dribble.   The paint would be on lock. 

Just now, MarylandHawk said:

Also, he projects to be a good perimeter defender on stretch fours too. 

That's a terrible idea. It's not about how they could make it work defensively, it's how awful it would be on offense. We don't want two non-shooters on the floor at the same time. It clogs the lane for Trae and whoever the 1 potential roller would be in the PnR. It would kill our floor spacing, which would kill our most productive offensive weapon: Trae. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, RandomFan said:

That's a terrible idea. It's not about how they could make it work defensively, it's how awful it would be on offense. We don't want two non-shooters on the floor at the same time. It clogs the lane for Trae and whoever the 1 potential roller would be in the PnR. It would kill our floor spacing, which would kill our most productive offensive weapon: Trae. 

Not really, one could set the pick and roll while the other is in the dunkers spot.  People need to remember the NBA played this way for forty years successfully. Think about the screens they could set for shooters running the base line.  Just because the NBA is trending with the volume three point shooting doesn’t mean it works all the time for everybody.  Plus I am not talking about playing these guys forty minutes together, only when the defensive match ups call for it. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 7/10/2021 at 7:40 PM, MarylandHawk said:

Not really, one could set the pick and roll while the other is in the dunkers spot.  People need to remember the NBA played this way for forty years successfully. Think about the screens they could set for shooters running the base line.  Just because the NBA is trending with the volume three point shooting doesn’t mean it works all the time for everybody.  Plus I am not talking about playing these guys forty minutes together, only when the defensive match ups call for it. 

Late to the game here, but felt it was worth mentioning that the changes to defensive rules really changed how well you could play with two bigs who can't stretch the floor at all.  Being able to zone and pack the paint so much more than in the past limits what you can run in today's NBA relative to what you could run for most of its history.

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member
4 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

He is still learning and growing but you see the elite potential their when facing the best. This kid is becoming a not so secret weapon.

Another OO truther, welcome to the club!  His biggest flaw right now is his size which is impacting his ability to get boards.  That, in my opinion, is the only thing Clint really excels at over OO.  That and catching lobs from Trae but that's just chemistry issues that will resolve with playing time.  OO isn't going to grow any taller so it's important we always have a good rebounding front court partner when he's on the court.

• Like 2

I love his potential, but does anyone else see his long term fit at the 4, not 5?

He seems like a young horford in terms of size. He can play center, but may be exposed when he goes against guys who bang down low. Where as he would excel at playing the 4 primarily (if he can develop a j), with some minutes running the 5 - depending on the lineup.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

We all know this kid is good, but I don't think we realize how good he can be. Clint had a dominant regular season last year but fell off a cliff for us in the playoffs. OO has a different gear that shows up in big games and big moments.

He is still learning and growing but you see the elite potential their when facing the best. This kid is becoming a not so secret weapon.

I hate when people try to form narratives with things that are not true.   Clint didn't fall off in the playoffs... his fingerprints are all over our victory against NY. 

Clint has problems with Big Bigs who can move.  There are three in the league.  Embiid, Giannis, and Joker.   Fortunately, OO plays well against those guys because he can stay in front.  He can play Big bigs and has the size of a PF.  Clint doesn't do that as well because when Embiid or Giannis takes him outside of the paint, they get downhill and can maneuver past him or draw the foul. 

Clint did have problems with Lopez.  But so did OO. 

2 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

I love his potential, but does anyone else see his long term fit at the 4, not 5?

He seems like a young horford in terms of size. He can play center, but may be exposed when he goes against guys who bang down low. Where as he would excel at playing the 4 primarily (if he can develop a j), with some minutes running the 5 - depending on the lineup.

I don't know if he shoots well enough in todays NBA to be a 4.    He's an undersized 5 but he plays big. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

If OO can develop an outside jumper I'd love to see a big line up of Capela/OO/Collins at SF. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

Nah Al didn't like playing center. OO relishes it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I detect no lies .....

Shakes been doing a lot of that Greek mythology stuff.

He wanted to give Trae 5” (of space) and old Shaq, he wants to give him three point making ability and Trae handles (notice not Kyrie, im sick of people mentioning his handles).