• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks v. Grizzlies

NBASupes

1 hour ago, Bonkers said:

And it begins

Microwave age. If LP doesn't prove the doubters wrong I will definitely be  disappointed. Until then just like I let Travis be Shlenk I'll let Lloyd be Coach Pierce and save my judgment for when the games actually matter. Both of these guys have been upfront about what they plan on doing every step of the way and have been doing it. LP says playoffs this yr. That's what I expect. Playoffs aren't won in the preseason. He's doing what the preseason what was intended to be used for. I know we're anxious because our team is new and we want to see us running out of the gate (microwave) but let him do his job. For a good coach this is part of your job figuring out your pieces and what works and what doesn't. You don't go out their and show your full deck against a team that seemingly has your number and you face early in the regular season. This is chess not checkers. Let's relax atleast until the L's and W's actually count. Even then remember even in an 82 game season it's very difficult to win 72 games. As long as we don't go thru any big losing streaks. Especially winnable games.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Miami also had time on their side to implement a zone. We've played it for 3 games. IIRC, Bob said both coaches agreed agreed they would deploy the Zone after timeouts.

With our defensive deficiencies, I believe a zone will be what works best.   Why expend all of our energies on a defensive man to man..  Play the matchup zone...  Save energy.. make the other team work harder and out point them with our great offense.   It's going to take some time for our guys to get the nuisance of playing a zone. ..  But until we play a team that has all gunners, the matchup zone is going to slow a lot of teams down... especially with Clint or OO in the middle challenging shots.   What Lloyd is doing is stopping the constant layup drill that teams get off the pick, getting a hand in the faces of guys who shoot threes, and protecting Trae on the switchoff to bruisers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

We've been going zone, which is pretty freaking idiotic when the team is hitting threes...on top of that the non existent effort from most guys and well. 

I think it was noted that all the teams agreed to go zone after halftime for preseason. Other than them honoring the agreement I think they believe they said to get a better look at their own players or something of that nature I'd agree that's idiotic

18 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I kinda expected it for JC considering the role change but then again, Orlando and Memphis have had Trae number. Ultimately, he has to get a lot better. Ja been looking like a superstar. So has Luka but Trae been looking meh. At least Hunter and Reddish are for real.

I dont like this version of Collins..He looks awkward trying to be a playmaker instead of a rim runner..lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrell said:

I dont like this version of Collins..He looks awkward trying to be a playmaker instead of a rim runner..lol

I need to see how he played today before I speak on it but Christian Wood is looking like a better play than JC

1 hour ago, terrell said:

Trae-4-15

Steph 9-23

Luka 6-18

Fox 3-17

Hield 3-13

Mitchell 3-11

Beal 4-11

Wth is going on? lol

Sometimes if you take a season and put a Pre in front of it meaning none of the stats count, players play like it.

• Thanks 1

Feels bad waiting 4 days for that performance. Shooters couldn’t shoot, happens, but the coaching staff has to figure out how to manufacture points better in that case. Bricking quick 3’s every trip down isn’t the answer. 

On the plus side, a lot to like from Hunter and Cam.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I need to see how he played today before I speak on it but Christian Wood is looking like a better play than JC

Watching the replay, and I hate to say this, but I could see him getting exposed big time in his new role. Especially in the Playoffs.He has no lateral quickness or length at all on defense..And he just looks awkward trying to playmake..Perhaps we shouldve packaged Collins and Huerter when we had the chance? Their value  might only go down from here...Huerter looks worse than when he was a rookie tbh...I hope they make me eat these words in the reg season..lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

After a 2nd watch, I think ja morant demonstrated things very few are capable of. 

Our guys got caught a lot being indecisive whether to help and commit to a double team or stick to their man who is at the 3pt line.

We lost our energy in the 2nd half when our shots didn't fall. Overall correctable mistakes when they see the film. Im sure we will see a different team Saturday.

Hunter is going to hold off reddish it seems. Which is fine because we needed to see some hunger from our 4th overall pick. Im sure he's heard the hype cam has been getting all summer.

Cam showed flashes tonight. He slipped a couple times like game 1 but it seems like it it's out of excitement😅. It's clear he's going to be star. When he let ja rip him on the rebound from collins, he came back with a nasty reverse lay up...then a phenomenal block and outlet to collins. 

Collins is my only concern 3 games in. He is uncomfortable and I think the pressure of this contract is weighing on him. He is hard on himself on every defensive lapse. He needs his confidence back asap.

Im disappointed in tonight's effort but I think we'll be better as we gel

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, terrell said:

Watching the replay, and I hate to say this, but I could see him getting exposed big time in his new role. Especially in the Playoffs.He has no lateral quickness or length at all on defense..And he just looks awkward trying to playmake..Perhaps we shouldve packaged Collins and Huerter when we had the chance? Their value  might only go down from here...Huerter looks worse than when he was a rookie tbh...I hope they make me eat these words in the reg season..lol

Huerter will always have value and he's a tad streaky but JC value is already what it is. It's getting JC to understand what his value is.

Just started watching

11-5 Hawks

What I like

Trae is playing well being aggressive. 

Capela is cleaning out whoever he screens and its given Trae way more room than he is accustomed to having. You can tell he isn't quite comfortable yet but the potential is there.

Because Trae prefers Capela screens, JC has been relegated to energy big with limited touches, basically how we used Parker and he looks lost in this role offensively. Defensively, I haven't noticed anything bad from JC so far. 

Bogi just doesn't get touches with Trae. He might be more suited to come off of the bench because I don't believe this is just an one time thing. I think him, Gallo and Cam have a nice chemistry as well. 

Capela will be an all star with Trae Young. Trae needs Capela and Capela needs Trae.

Defensively, no complaints so far. The defense has been sound so far.

Back to the game.

Edited by NBASupes

22 22 tied

Ja Morant is a mfer. 

He's can be a MVP winner this year. He's a bad mfer. 

Cam came into the game smooth but reckless but full of energy on both ends. 

LP has JC at C next to Gallo and Morant is attacking at will. 

Kevin feel is not there. It's strange to see. 

LP has Kevin at PG, it's clear Bogi is much much better at it than Kevin. Bogi needs to move to the bench to play with Cam and Gallo. 

Hunter is really really good. He might be another Khris Middleton and some. The Hawks have them two tremendous wings and Trae. That's all that matters to be honest. 

Gallo isn't looking too bad offensively. His defense hasn't been good but right now, it's the Ja Morant show.

Kevin defense is rough. He uses his hands too much and not play with his feet. 

I noticed both Cam and Hunter digging in too deep while giving up to much space to Melton and Brooks on 3 pointers 

Trae needs to clean up his off Ball vision. That 3 ball that Tyus Jones scored is reminiscent of last year a lot for Young.

Offensively, Cam clearly took a leap especially off the ball. His route running off the ball has been top notch and his decision making while driving has improved night and day. That pass to JC was pure class.

Cam Reddish on another level defensively. That read to break on Dieng was pure class and the pass to JC for the powerful slam was wonderful. Cam is taking a leap. 

Tremendous defensive possession to get Jones to shoot a contested 3 which was an airball. Good possession 

• Thanks 1

34-32 Hawks

Cam decision making and comfort is there. That pocket pass was elite to Capela which he drew a foul.

Trae early clock deep 3s that are contested just don't rub me the right way.

Cam length and activity caused that steal and he drew a foul. My goodness, Cam is putting on a clinic. 

Solo Hill is not a good Basketball player

Clint was too wild after the defensive rebound and turned it over to Dieng which he ended up also making the bank shot while wide open. 

Trae is struggling with that floater. 

Calling it a night. I'll watch the rest tomorrow. 

Edited by NBASupes

KER BANG!  What was that?  It was the Hawk fans dream falling after the second half last night.  Defense?  What defense?  Memphis looked like champions.  Atlanta looked like a G League team.

Is it fixable?  We all sure hope that it is.  We all dream of winning at least half of our regular season games.  We dream of great defense.  We dream of our shots falling.  Then, last night's second half happens.  Can we really be this bad, we ask.  Yes.  Our hope is that this doesn't happen too often.

I know.  It's pre season.  Expect things to go wrong.  Good defense is holding our opponent to close to the same # of points that we have.  Didn't happen.  Memphis blew up in our face.  

All these new players and a short time to blend it all together.  We've got to remember all this.  We will be much better than last night's second half.  Still, being so bad for so long makes this hard to swallow.  We did get to see another new Hawk last night.  Our oldest player, now that VC has retired.

Oh, well.  Back to dreaming.  But, dang it, that's somewhat harder to do now!!

😜

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, sillent said:

I think it was noted that all the teams agreed to go zone after halftime for preseason. Other than them honoring the agreement I think they believe they said to get a better look at their own players or something of that nature I'd agree that's idiotic

Lol wut? Is that for real? Man this league in 2020 is so soft. 

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

34-32 Hawks

Cam decision making and comfort is there. That pocket pass was elite to Capela which he drew a foul.

Trae early clock deep 3s that are contested just don't rub me the right way.

Cam length and activity caused that steal and he drew a foul. My goodness, Cam is putting on a clinic. 

Solo Hill is not a good Basketball player

Clint was too wild after the defensive rebound and turned it over to Dieng which he ended up also making the bank shot while wide open. 

Trae is struggling with that floater. 

Calling it a night. I'll watch the rest tomorrow. 

That shot would have gotten Michael Jordan benched immediately in 1995 lol. 

• Haha 2