Official Game Thread: Hawks at Hornets

lethalweapon3

15 hours ago, bleachkit said:

We cant win with a woefully inefficient Trae. With his inability to play off the ball, what do you with Trae when he cant hit shots? We have a problem, a big problem. 

Part of playing off the ball, is having teammates who can find you when you're off the ball.  Unless we start running sets with Rondo at the point, and Trae at the 2, how is Trae going to learn to play off the ball without a change in offensive philosophy?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, terrell said:

I think Nique hates Trae's playstyle deep down..

LOL . . Nique hating how Trae plays, is literally the Spider-Man double pointing meme.

Spider Man GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Nique hardly ever passed, for as much as he touched the ball.  And he always overdribbled, although he dribbled to attack.

You could've literally chopped off Nique's left hand, and Nique would be like . . "Cool.  I do everything with my right hand anyway. You can have that raggedy left hand."

1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

That is biggest load of Trae apologist horse dung. "Trae cant play off the ball because no one will set him up." Trae cant play off the ball because either he cant or he wont. He's a small ball dominant guard who can only play one way. When he's on he can win you a game. When he's off he's a liability in every respect.

He's a small ball dominant guard who has always had the offense built around him, and he feeding other people.  Not the other way around.

What you're saying about Trae being on and off is exactly what I've been taking about for a while now.  The Hawks only win when Trae is balling out.  Now why is that?  Why can't other people step up in crucial situations and make shots, when our top guy is struggling?  If you want Trae to diversify how he plays, the coaching staff is going to have to make a concerted effort of getting him shots or putting him in situations where he can function off the ball.

The same thing goes with John Collins.  He had a very nice 1st quarter with 9 points on 4 - 4 shooting.  The next 3 quarters, he shoots the ball only 3 times ( 3 misses ), and scores 1 total point.  Now is that the fault of Collins for not taking more shots?  Is that the fault of Trae, for not finding Collins more.  Is it the fault of the coach, for not calling set plays for Collins?  How is John supposed to keep impacting the game offensively, when our offense pretty much gives everyone who is open, to shoot the ball from 3.

If you are the coach, you'd need to identify what the Hawks do well, and then try to maximize it.

So you tell me.  What do the Hawks do well?  What do we not do well?  And what should we be doing on offense?

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

He's a small ball dominant guard who has always had the offense built around him, and he feeding other people.  Not the other way around.

What you're saying about Trae being on and off is exactly what I've been taking about for a while now.  The Hawks only win when Trae is balling out.  Now why is that?  Why can't other people step up in crucial situations and make shots, when our top guy is struggling?  If you want Trae to diversify how he plays, the coaching staff is going to have to make a concerted effort of getting him shots or putting him in situations where he can function off the ball.

The same thing goes with John Collins.  He had a very nice 1st quarter with 9 points on 4 - 4 shooting.  The next 3 quarters, he shoots the ball only 3 times ( 3 misses ), and scores 1 total point.  Now is that the fault of Collins for not taking more shots?  Is that the fault of Trae, for not finding Collins more.  Is it the fault of the coach, for not calling set plays for Collins?  How is John supposed to keep impacting the game offensively, when our offense pretty much gives everyone who is open, to shoot the ball from 3.

If you are the coach, you'd need to identify what the Hawks do well, and then try to maximize it.

So you tell me.  What do the Hawks do well?  What do we not do well?  And what should we be doing on offense?

CLP will end up getting fired. Then the quest will be on to find the coach that can fix Trae. He has coach killer written all over him. Super talented, but fatally flawed player.

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, BrazilianHawk said:

Why? We can get that #1 or #2 by simply continuing to play like this. No need to trade for it. 

😅

We'll be better when and if we get healthy..But I feel ya..lol

Edited by terrell

7 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Check out all the talk about "Rookie of the year."  Hawks never mentioned because agent 0017 has never set foot on the floor in any game.  This hurts.  He's our #6 pick this year.

Another Hawk rookie, Nathan Knight, enters the game.  Has a great block.  Exits.  These one minute games are using up his games as a two way player.  Why?  (And he wasn't drafted)  

Trae in a terrible, terrible slump with his 3 point shots.  Now, he has a two game with -0- 3's.  He's tight.  Hawks depend on his scoring.  Haliburton was available but we passed.  Hornets have a great rookie PG and Atlanta doesn't. Skylar Mays doesn't even sit on our bench now.

We all carp about the coaching of LP.  Yet, our star PG is in a slump.  Our bench is empty with injuries to so many key players.  LP has a great defensive minded coach on his team, yet we have a very poor defense.

Before the season began, we would have been fairly satisfied with the record we have now.  But, with the opening games that we had made us believe.  Then, this.  

We worry and fret.  But, remember this.  The Hornets are good.  Probably the surprise team in the east.  And, apparently they have our number.  Keep an eye on them as we go forward.

Meanwhile, let's win another game !!

:smug:

So Hornets rebuild went better than ours? That hurts..smh

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

LOL . . Nique hating how Trae plays, is literally the Spider-Man double pointing meme.

Spider Man GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Nique hardly ever passed, for as much as he touched the ball.  And he always overdribbled, although he dribbled to attack.

You could've literally chopped off Nique's left hand, and Nique would be like . . "Cool.  I do everything with my right hand anyway. You can have that raggedy left hand."

NIque wasnt the pg though..lol. And I was mostly talking about the deep 3's, risky passes, etc..

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

CLP will end up getting fired. Then the quest will be on to find the coach that can fix Trae. He has coach killer written all over him. Super talented, but fatally flawed player.

Schlenk should be next if thats the case..

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, terrell said:

Schlenk should be next if thats the case..

I don't really see anything wrong with Schlenk's moves.  It's hard to fault the guy when half the roster he built is unavailable to play, not to mention the ones playing are not being coached very well.  The only questionable move has been the draft trade for Trae, but before the season started, most of us agreed it wasn't nearly as bad as most people paint it, and Cam/Trae can both develop into perennial all-stars.  We're just over 10% through with the season so the jury is still out on how we end up this year.  If we can squeak into the playoffs but the team is really gelling towards the 2nd half of the season I will be pleased.  An entire roster turnover was never going to be smooth despite our first 4-5 games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Dodged all of my questions I see . . . lol.   Not so easy to come up with a quick solution, huh?

Dodging GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY