• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Injury Updates?

capstone21

18 minutes ago, terrell said:

Hunter is out.....Dang...Being in and out of the lineup isnt going to help much...Sit him for the year?

Or bring him back when he’s 💯. Game by game day by day I guess. Get well big Dre! Damn this is is vital to our D!

• Sad 1

• Premium Member

Speaking with Dr. Deepak Chona, the founder of SportsMedAnalytics, his medical opinion paints a potential cloudier picture. Chona said knee swelling, particularly after surgery and a period of rest, suggests there’s an issue in the knee that is causing it to be inflamed. In Hunter’s case, it could be as simple as not being 100 percent fully healed, or perhaps irritation of an area in the knee that hadn’t adequately healed yet, which is Chona’s medical opinion because Hunter was already out for several weeks.

“What I think is more likely is there’s probably an underlying bone bruise or an issue with some cartilage,” Chona said. “The swelling after a period of rest is suggestive of one of those types of issues. It’s not necessarily something that will hamper him for his whole career, but the data points to the likelihood in the long term that (meniscus surgery) will affect his durability. My thought on how they manage him from here is probably with rest. They are going to get his knee swelling down before they put him out there for any extended period of time. Then, after that, you sort of look at the long-term management of De’Andre, and it’s quite possible he might have some sort of procedure planned to address this in the offseason — something like another knee scope where they just clean it out or maybe a microfracture surgery if there’s a cartilage issue.”

All of this is going to come down to how Hunter’s knee responds to treatment over the next few weeks. Chona said swelling could go down in a matter of days, and if Hunter starts practicing normally again with no impediments to running, jumping and cutting, while he might be able to play, it doesn’t necessarily mean he’s in the clear. A player could have no swelling for a week and then have it return suddenly, which would signal there’s a complication in Hunter’s knee that will have to be addressed.

“If they can get his swelling under control, then it would suggest that it isn’t a structural problem that isn’t going to be long term and recurring,” Chona said. “If he continues to have this knee swelling come up after it subsides, which I think is a likely outcome, unfortunately, then it would suggest that he’d need some further treatment in the offseason.”

In Chona’s medical opinion, it’s his expectation that Hunter will be dealing with swelling for the rest of the season, even if he’s able to play consistently. It might not be something the public hears about because the team will be trying to manage it the best it can behind the scenes, but Chona believes Hunter will have to put up with this until a more permanent solution fixes the swelling. Unlike regular soreness that most professional athletes deal with on a daily basis, swelling is not subjective. Playing through minor pains varies from player-to-player and is largely undiagnosed by a doctor, whereas swelling can be detected through an evaluation from a doctor or trainer.

Just keep him out as long as needed,  Do not rush him back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

For the year? Have you personally examined his knee? How about we trust the staff to make the right decisions. 

If it means that this a reoccurring issue in his career, I'd rather just shut him down so he can get 100% healthy. Kind of like how Memphis is managing Jaren Jackson Jr. 

7 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

If it means that this a reoccurring issue in his career, I'd rather just shut him down so he can get 100% healthy. Kind of like how Memphis is managing Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Shutting him down doesn't necessarily protect him long term or help his recover. You're basing that notion on general convention wisdom, and not specific to his injury, which the doctors are privy too. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, ATLHawks3 said:

He has been out since last August, and Memphis has not given any updates at all.  I think he had his meniscus repaired vs shaved. 

Anyway:

1 hour ago, ATLHawks3 said:

Shut him down. I care more about the long term than this season. 

Ya but didn’t Bird’s tweety bird say something about no long term concern? But I agree if there is anything even in question, keep him out. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

For the year? Have you personally examined his knee? How about we trust the staff to make the right decisions. 

Right, and this isn't a Doctor that has actually seen Hunter.  (I was leery about posting it)

3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

23 years old and already has chronic knee problems. SMH, Only the Hawks.

So you've diagnosed him with chronic knee problems but wanna shout down the guy saying we should shut him down for the year?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

and this guy???The new Speedy Dunn.  Which means we won't see him 'towards the end of March'

Straight line running and 2-on-2 are checked off the box. Now he just has to get 3-on-3 checked, take a charge, do a reverse dunk, and make 10 free throws where he will then be cleared from phase 3 of the 20-step process to clear him for playing time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AUhawksfan said:

Straight line running and 2-on-2 are checked off the box. Now he just has to get 3-on-3 checked, take a charge, do a reverse dunk, and make 10 free throws where he will then be cleared from phase 3 of the 20-step process to clear him for playing time. 

Dude is probably not in game shape at all right now, I'll be interested to see when and how we start playing him