• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Injury Updates?

capstone21

19 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Meh, let's wait to see how we fare in the playoffs.  Most of the injuries this year have been from action on the court.  Emory can't realistically prevent that.  They've done a great job preventing non-contact and wear/tear injuries.  We haven't had Jamal Murray/KD type injuries that are from overuse.

The only person that has potentially been mishandled is Hunter, who feels like he's going to be out for the year and possibly need a follow-up procedure done on his knee.  I'm not a doctor though so I really don't know how much of that is in their control or not.

Training staffs aren't miracle workers. Blaming the medical staff for anything is just absurd. Unless you're willing to not play basketball, on court injuries will happen, and use injuries will happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Training staffs aren't miracle workers. Blaming the medical staff for anything is just absurd. Unless you're willing to not play basketball, on court injuries will happen, and use injuries will happen. 

Sure, but I do think there's a little more nuance to the use injuries, which is what I was trying to highlight, and a medical staff can absolutely be helpful here -- even if it's hard to quantify.  Shutting guys down that want to play through minor tears, not letting dudes return before they're 100% recovered (even if they feel O.K), etc.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Sure, but I do think there's a little more nuance to the use injuries, which is what I was trying to highlight, and a medical staff can absolutely be helpful here -- even if it's hard to quantify.  Shutting guys down that want to play through minor tears, not letting dudes return before they're 100% recovered (even if they feel O.K), etc.

Have you seen some instances of people wanting to play and not being allowed?  That hasn't seemed like much of an issue this year for us despite the frustrating number of injuries that have hit the roster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

You're saying they have overused KD? Could they have play him any less? Unless you want to sit a guy all year, which the NBA would strongly frown upon, at some point basketball players have to play basketball.

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

not letting dudes return before they're 100% recovered (even if they feel O.K), etc.

This is what Trae had to say regarding his ankle injury yesterday:

Trae Young: My recovery is going good, I've been feeling a lot better. The swelling has gone down a lot more so I should be back within the next couple of games.

............which I take to mean as the ankle still has some swelling...so not quite OK.

29 minutes ago, AHF said:

Have you seen some instances of people wanting to play and not being allowed?  That hasn't seemed like much of an issue this year for us despite the frustrating number of injuries that have hit the roster.

I don't think that's what he's saying.  I think, and correct me if I'm wrong @JeffS17, he's saying in general that medical staffs can keep guys from playing to save them from themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, AHF said:

Trae. Goodwin. Clint. Bogi. All have forced their way back on to the court a little bit. The Cam and Dre issues seem more like managing long term investments because of the type of injuries they had. Seemed like Dre wanted to come back early but just wasn’t ready. 

13 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I don't think that's what he's saying.  I think, and correct me if I'm wrong @JeffS17, he's saying in general that medical staffs can keep guys from playing to save them from themselves.

But it's also a fallacy to assume if a guy reinjures himself it's because he was brought back too soon. At some point, guys do have to play basketball. 

2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

But it's also a fallacy to assume if a guy reinjures himself it's because he was brought back too soon. At some point, guys do have to play basketball. 

Not if it is indeed an injury that heals itself given rest/time off.  IIRC some meniscus injuries heal with rest if you opt for no surgery.

And furthermore, favoring one's existing injury is an almost sure way of injuring something else due to overcompensation.  IIUC, it's fairly common for that to happen in dudes brought back sooner than advised - which is part of the overly cautious approach the Hawks have been taking on guys, particularly Hunter and Reddish.

I recall Brendan Haywood speaking about his own injury and having been told, by his doctors, that it happened because he was overcompensating for another injury.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Not if it is indeed an injury that heals itself given rest/time off.  IIRC some meniscus injuries heal with rest if you opt for no surgery.

And furthermore, favoring one's existing injury is an almost sure way of injuring something else due to overcompensation.  IIUC, it's fairly common for that to happen in dudes brought back sooner than advised - which is part of the overly cautious approach the Hawks have been taking on guys, particularly Hunter and Reddish.

I recall Brendan Haywood speaking about his own injury and having been told, by his doctors, that it happened because he was overcompensating for another injury.

You doing want to bring guys back too soon obviously, but it's still a fallacy to assume if a guy gets reinjured it's because he was brought back too soon. Injuries and re-injuries happen, even if a guy is fully healed. 

41 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

You doing want to bring guys back too soon obviously, but it's still a fallacy to assume if a guy gets reinjured it's because he was brought back too soon. Injuries and re-injuries happen, even if a guy is fully healed. 

I don't think anyone is speaking in absolutes.  The whole thing is abstract so they're just trying to minimize probabilities.  Being overcautious on making sure guys rest, theoretically, decreases probability of injury/reinjury.  Do you disagree with that, allowing for the fact that no one can positively predict it?

I think we all agree with your last statement.  However, we're talking about multi-million dollar investments so they've gotta do something.  They're not just gonna throw their hands in the air and say, "Oh welll ..."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I don't think anyone is speaking in absolutes.  The whole thing is abstract so they're just trying to minimize probabilities.  Being overcautious on making sure guys rest, theoretically, decreases probability of injury/reinjury.  Do you disagree with that, allowing for the fact that no one can positively predict it?

I think we all agree with your last statement.  However, we're talking about multi-million dollar investments so they've gotta do something.  They're not just gonna throw their hands in the air and say, "Oh welll ..."

I don't disagree, but everytime someone gets injured or reinjured, someone always chimes in and insinuates a wrong medical decision was made, or they were brought back too soon. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, AHF said:

No, I haven't seen that at all -- that's exactly why I'm defending our medical team.

3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

You're saying they have overused KD? Could they have play him any less? Unless you want to sit a guy all year, which the NBA would strongly frown upon, at some point basketball players have to play basketball.

No... y'all are making some crazy extrapolations based on me speaking generally on how a medical team can help prevent injuries... in fact, I would say they have been very conservative with Dunn when there could have been a scenario where he comes back sooner and gets re-injured.

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

tenor.gif?itemid=10721560

There's a fine line between regular muscle tearing/repairing and mild sprains, and sometimes the pain you feel doesn't match the injury.  We categorize injuries into buckets but the reality is more of a sliding scale with one end being a fully recovered muscle, and then you have normal muscle tearing through working out or playing in a game, and then really mild injuries that you recover from in a day or so, and so forth.

3 hours ago, kg01 said:

Yeah, exactly.  Players are not medical experts and do not always know what is best for themselves.  Some injuries you can play through pain and not risk further injury and some injuries you can not have pain and feel fine, but be risking a greater injury. 

Our medical staff seems to be pretty conservative with guys that have nagging injuries, get worn down, or are recovering from an injury, and they have possibly (impossible to know) helped prevent more serious stuff from happening to our guys this year.  

• Like 1