• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Injury Updates?

capstone21

10 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

What I find odd about Schlenk's comments on Hunter is that they almost sound like they are throwing him under the bus.  Why is it that Hunter is saying he doesn't feel comfortable instead of the training staff not being comfortable?  Almost sounds like Kawhi with the Spurs.  Could be nothing, but I'm gonna pay attention to how they word his situation more closely.   

Kawhi sat out the year because he didn't want to play for the Spurs anymore. No way a player in their second year would start a powerplay/malingering type situation. If so, that would be tremendously disappointing. 

20 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Kawhi sat out the year because he didn't want to play for the Spurs anymore. No way a player in their second year would start a powerplay/malingering type situation. If so, that would be tremendously disappointing. 

It's just odd to me how they are wording things.  Probably nothing.  

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Sorry if I get flamed for this, but I really hope that's not the case. I'm going to be give him the benefit of the doubt and assume his knee just isn't ready. There is just something to be said for old school toughness and resilience. BG and Kev showed their toughness and determination. Kawhi had proven his worth in this league, and was trying to force his way out. Deandre is unproven and on his rookie deal. Come on son. Play ball. We are about to be in our first play off run in years and you have a chance to showcase yourself on a big stage and help the win. The stuff about practice time doesn't fly. We have seen other guys come back with minimal practice, including Bogi off a significant injury. They need to sit down and have a talk with Dre. If he says his knee feels fine, but he says he's not ready. Well why aren't your ready? Are you worried your knee is going to start hurting again? Are you worried you aren't going to play well? What's the deal? The season is quickly winding down. Time to put on the big boy pants.

I guess I'm missing where BG, Kev and Bogi had surgery.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If his knee his isn't ready, then tell us that. But saying that it's a confidence thing, or a practice thing. Really? He's our starting small forward and a potential huge difference maker. Remember, he came back and played already in late March. Why is no one acknowledging that? So clearly the coaching staff and management weren't just slow playing this, they expected him to come back. This whole thing is weird and doesn't quite add up.

Edited by bleachkit
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

It's just odd to me how they are wording things.  Probably nothing.  

Travis Schlenk, quite frankly isn't the best at wording things. He has made numerous misstatements in interviews before. Especially regarding injuries, he has given curious timelines and said a player will be back, and then the coaching staff will say something completely different. So who knows.

45 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Dre already came back to court and was medically cleared. This isn't about his surgery anymore. Our staff would have never cleared him if it was.

This is about him sitting back out due to swelling that they all said was normal and expected. Schlenk just (probably accidentally) dimed him out that it's in Dre's hands at this point. He was and has been cleared from the medical staff. At this point he is behind schedule even if it was a vague one to begin with. Schlenk would not have said Dre would return last weekend if he didn't actually receive information that supported that news.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Dre already came back to court and was medically cleared. This isn't about his surgery anymore. Our staff would have never cleared him if it was.

This is about him sitting back out due to swelling that they all said was normal and expected. Schlenk just (probably accidentally) dimed him out that it's in Dre's hands at this point. He was and has been cleared from the medical staff. At this point he is behind schedule even if it was a vague one to begin with. Schlenk would not have said Dre would return last weekend if he didn't actually receive information that supported that news.  

This is sort of the roundabout point I have been trying to make in several other responses. I believe the medical staff is conservative by nature because they are not just team physicians, the Emory name is attached to them. So what it boils down to is, the medical staff will give the most conservative estimate possible. Next the team will then decide if that supports their management goals to keep them out (i.e. let others develop or not mess with chemistry late in the season). Finally, the player has to decide if they want to push it or go with the med staffs conservative estimate. Guys like Trae will always push the limit, but other players may not be so ready to challenge the medical staff when it comes to their body. That’s where I believe Dre and Cam are. Because the team is performing so well and spending less time developing players, they are being more patient. The only problem with this  approach (if they can play through the pain but choose not to) is they don’t get valuable game time to get better and the league has a short memory and will toss them to the side if they live up to their potential fairly quickly. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

If his knee his isn't ready, then tell us that. But saying that it's a confidence thing, or a practice thing. Really? He's our starting small forward and a potential huge difference maker. Remember, he came back and played already in late March. Why is no one acknowledging that? So clearly the coaching staff and management weren't just slow playing this, they expected him to come back. This whole thing is weird and doesn't quite add up.

The other thing that makes this weird is both of them were playing at their peak in the games they went out with no apparent issue in those games that caused the injuries. I wonder if their agents are in their ears about shutting it down to protect their long term value. If you want to understand what I am talking about, look no further than Lamelo Ball when he was with the Australian national team. The minute he had that triple double game in a big win, he shut it down. He knew his value wouldn't get much higher if he finished out that season. 

• Like 2

If we still had a bad record like we did with LD, then I’d think it’s a cause that maybe the agent or player are shutting down because it’s a pointless season.

Anyone can see and even the player himself that we have completely turned the season around and could make some noise in the playoffs. It would be his first playoff run so maybe it’s just the team being cautious. They know they must have some more 5 v 5 schedules with the amount of home games remaining and will hopefully be getting him ready just before the playoffs to break him in and bring him from the bench. 

1 hour ago, MarylandHawk said:

The other thing that makes this weird is both of them were playing at their peak in the games they went out with no apparent issue in those games that caused the injuries. I wonder if their agents are in their ears about shutting it down to protect their long term value. If you want to understand what I am talking about, look no further than Lamelo Ball when he was with the Australian national team. The minute he had that triple double game in a big win, he shut it down. He knew his value wouldn't get much higher if he finished out that season. 

What value is being protected?  He still has a couple years under contract.  If he’s healthy he should play.  
It almost sounds like they are saying he’s being whiny bitch.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Ryaan said:

If we still had a bad record like we did with LD, then I’d think it’s a cause that maybe the agent or player are shutting down because it’s a pointless season.

Anyone can see and even the player himself that we have completely turned the season around and could make some noise in the playoffs. It would be his first playoff run so maybe it’s just the team being cautious. They know they must have some more 5 v 5 schedules with the amount of home games remaining and will hopefully be getting him ready just before the playoffs to break him in and bring him from the bench. 

One can only hope. But at this point, i am not expecting anything. 

• Like 1

The weirdness of the Hunter situation aside the current IR is still the cleanest we’ve seen all season.  I’ll take it.  Knock on wood to prevent someone from going  down tonigh SMGDH.

I couldn’t find the info but who is Dre’s agent?  Not one of those famous overtly narcissistic ones who try to play stepdad I hope.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

After tomorrow's game we have 3 days off until Monday - so practice time available.

Im so over this waiting game. I feel like it'll be anti climatic even after he returns. Just come back in one piece ready to compete, it's go time right now.

• Like 3

05/04/2021, 10:48 AM

Needs more maintenance for knee

Hunter initially injured the knee Jan. 29 and underwent surgery just over a week later. He missed 23 games before returning to action sooner than expected March 22, but he appeared in just two contests until being shut down again after experiencing renewed swelling in the knee. Hunter has since underwent another minor procedure on the knee, but the second-year forward doesn't look like he's made much major progress in his recovery over the past five weeks. According to Schlenk, Hunter hasn't had many opportunities of late to take part in 5-on-5 scrimmaging to gain confidence in the knee, so the 23-year-old looks destined to miss at least a few more games.

I got this off of Hawks.com.

• Like 1