• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Jazz

lethalweapon3

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I hate this sentiment so much. I get it, you're gonna Make it or Miss it but how about taking a shot that has a closer to 50% shot of going in....take a shot that's closer to the basket?

Because LP hates a shot that's not a 3 or layup/dunk.

40 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

Absolutely YES. We lost that trade the moment it went off. Some of us really like undersized shoot-first PGs but yeah... That trade was a disgrace.

I think it's clear the taller, bigger guard is the way to go. Smaller guards like Trae are better suited as a number 2 or number 3 option.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's also on LP and his teammates.  If teams are going to play ball deny with 2 players, there has to be an advantage elsewhere. Does LP have ANY plays where he runs Trae off a couple screens to free him up for an open look? Or even a back door cut? There has to be a counter in the playbook for when teams guard Trae like Utah did. And I'm no saying it becomes a staple of the offense, just a countermeasure for these specific instances.

So without starting up another thread I been wondering about this as well. Let me first say I like LP even if he does show flaws and I make that statement because I’m about to criticize him on some things as well as collins since he decided to publicly speak out about how the offense is ran and maybe even Schlenk.

Schlenk and LP has said multiple times before the season started that Trae needs run off ball a lot more. Ok cool...Trae obviously hasn’t done that and that’s his own fault however when you look at the offense that’s in place it doesn’t even look like players are in position to allow Trae to run off screens! I’ve rewatched these past 4-5 games and our starting unit is spread out beyond the perimeter with capela hovering the baseline and then the screen comes...sometimes it’s a double screen at the top of the key but not much.

Then we have JC calling for players but focused on Trae to get in more offensive sets quicker as well as asking for more ball/player movement and he’s not even taking his own advice. He sets a screen but that’s it...No one else is running off screens, setting screens outside of collins and capela or trying to make many back door cuts.

Ultimately We have a standstill woody offense with an occasional screen. So on the outside looking in the focus is on Trae to make the offense work no matter what but his team just watches him and whomever is setting his screen.

collins thinks he’s doing enough by just setting screens but it’s not enough and to get on LPs case he’s not running anyone off screens! Huerter and Bogi were running off ball the most but that wasn’t even enough. So while Trae is criticized for just standing so is Collins and while LP is saying it , it doesn’t look like he’s teaching it or the team just isn’t listening to him.

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Our wings got too deep into the paint on dribble penetration and left the shooters wide open, it's like they didn't read the scouting report.

Yeah it’s like the team doesn’t pay attention to film very well or do their scouting on the opponent 

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, JTB said:

TRAE DOESNT KNOW WHERE HIS SHOTS ARE IN THIS NEW OFFENSE....Trae is missing shots because he’s in a funk ok sure but it’s also because he’s hesitating so damn much. His passing use to look natural and now it looks forced like someone told him his main job is to only pass.

Trae isn’t looking for his shot then he tries to force one. I am not completely sure if Trae is in a shooting slump . Shooting slumps tend to look a little different to me like when korver was in a bad shooting slump one season here in ATL. But Trae missing shots is more than a shooting slump ....there’s some confusion and there’s some laziness from all the players including Trae.

We are running a different offense that's not Traeccentric, so there's a learning curve not just for Trae but for the rest of the team and particularly with so many new players. I can live with the growing pains of that so early in the season. However, what I can't live with is lack of effort and an overall malaise that seems to permeate the team when shots aren't falling. I want to see this team dig deep.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So it's your fault! What are you doing? Stop watching. Lol.  Ask @Wretch about that too, lol. I think he needs to switch it up and start watching though, lolololol.

And I was watching...lol.  Funny thing is, I walked away when they went down...and when I came back in the 3rd, they closed the gap to like 6. 

🤷🏽‍♂️

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We are running a different offense that's not Traeccentric, so there's a learning curve not just for Trae but for the rest of the team and particularly with so many new players. I can live with the growing pains of that so early in the season. However, what I can't live with is lack of effort and an overall malaise that seems to permeate the team when shots aren't falling. I want to see this team dig deep.

What’s that new offense? What does it involve???

I get the players are going through a learning curve but they all seem extremely confused about their role including the star Trae

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae might be saying all the right things, but the body language suggests he's not comfortable. In retrospect, maybe we can see why he turned down offers from big schools to play at Oklahoma. He has to be the man, he has to take a lot shots, with a lot of dribbling and controlling the ball. Im not impugning his character, that's just how he likes to play and how he's always played, and playing another way is going to be a brutal adjustment for him. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

LOL . . it's crazy.   I'm getting better at the NBA, especially when betting the over/under.  To me, it's much easier playing the NBA that way, than trying to pick the point spreads.  If you're picking teams straight up, your return on wins are going to be much lower, unless you can pick the right upset or two.

College basketball is ridiculous though.  I've literally lost games involving the spread or the over/under, with last second fouls in a blowout.  Parlays being made or broken, by guys making or missing FTs.

Also, I play round robin parlays.   Pick 5 teams, but set it up to where if you hit 3 out of 5, you're getting some of your money back.  If you hit 4 out of 5, you'll get more than what you put in.  If you hit 5 out of 5, you get everything.  Now of course, it cost more money to play it like this.  But playing it like this does protect you from losing one of those crazy games.

My winning play last night was a combo of everything. ( College, spread, over/under, NBA )

• Under 229.5 - DAL vs MIL
  • Boston ( -3.5 ) vs ORL
  • Over 196.5 - NY vs CLE ( was definitely worried about this, seeing both teams offense is trash, but I won it )
  • UC Santa Barbara ( -10.5 ) vs UC San Diego
  • Thunder ( straight up ) vs Chicago

Good looking on the round robin parlays.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Trae might be saying all the right things, but the body language suggests he's not comfortable. In retrospect, maybe we can see why he turned down offers from big schools to play at Oklahoma. He has to be the man, he has to take a lot shots, with a lot of dribbling and controlling the ball. Im not impugning his character, that's just how he likes to play and how he's always played, and playing another way is going to be a brutal adjustment for him. 

Trae has to want to evolve as a player though, and I'm not saying he doesn't. If he handles the early struggles well now, I think he and the team will be better for it in the long run.

40 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

And very brutal it is!

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae has to want to evolve as a player though, and I'm not saying he doesn't. If he handles the early struggles well now, I think he and the team will be better for it in the long run.

That may be true that in the long run it will be better but was it a good idea up implement this new offense style in a season where the goal is to make the playoffs? 

• Premium Member
Just now, JTB said:

And very brutal it is!

That may be true that in the long run it will be better but was it a good idea up implement this new offense style in a season where the goal is to make the playoffs? 

Did you think that Schlenk paid $38 million for FAs to let Trae shoot at will everytime in every game? (granted they're in street clothes).

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Did you think that Schlenk paid $38 million for FAs to let Trae shoot at will everytime in every game? (granted they're in street clothes).

To clarify...I'm not saying they should be more a focal point of the offense.

Example: The reason to bring in Bogi is because he's adept at running the offense out of the PnR, he's been relegated to being more or less a spot up 3pt shooter, that's not maximizing what he does and giving us offensive versatility.

What I'm saying is, although the offense is built around Trae it has to be diversified enough to win games when it matters.

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

I think it's clear the taller, bigger guard is the way to go. Smaller guards like Trae are better suited as a number 2 or number 3 option.

Good teams just salivate on how to get him involved on defense (especially in a transition communication event, my goodness) and offensively off the ball where he’s a statue, making it essentially  4-on-5 basketball.  Schlenk better be glad he isn’t in NY or Boston he’d have to answer questions about Trae’s off ball and defense standing in the grocery line.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I hate this sentiment so much. I get it, you're gonna Make it or Miss it but how about taking a shot that has a closer to 50% shot of going in....take a shot that's closer to the basket?

Whenever I hear the phrase on television I’m in a mad dash for my remote lol.  There’s literally no limit to the type/ number of winning plays or intangible acts you can make outside of a shot falling smh. 

Edited by benhillboy
  • Thanks 1