• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Timberwolves at Hawks -- the MLK Day Game!

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Is no one gonna mess with @Sothron on how horrible his real team is?  Even with Towns, that's a moribund bunch.  If his name was Ryan Smith instead of Ryan Saunders, would he be anywhere close to being an NBA HC?

I was looking at Saunders record and it's god awful but has he really had anything to work with?  They need to trade KAT and Russel and start over.  

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I was looking at Saunders record and it's god awful but has he really had anything to work with?  They need to trade KAT and Russel and start over.  

I think they're building a culture of losing with Towns being the centerpiece of it.

Now I gotta log off.  I can just imagine soth coming into the room to fight me in that old-timey, underhand fist style. 

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Is no one gonna mess with @Sothron on how horrible his real team is?  Even with Towns, that's a moribund bunch.  If his name was Ryan Smith instead of Ryan Saunders, would he be anywhere close to being an NBA HC?

That's just not true. KAT, Russell and Malik with Georgia boy is a great core. They have a literal hole at PF and nothing for a bench outside Rubio. They also play in the WC.  They need a real PF in there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sothron said:

That's just not true. KAT, Russell and Malik with Georgia boy is a great core. They have a literal hole at PF and nothing for a bench outside Rubio. They also play in the WC.  They need a real PF in there.

When are they supposed to start putting it all together tho.

A year from now?  2?  They're not even competent.  They're certainly not competitive consistently.

The WC thing is true but can't keep being an excuse.

6 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'd like to dig more into this.

Trae we know, we hide him for a reason and he cannot afford to switch.

Clint, obviously we don't want him switching because nobody else can guard opposing centers, and we don't want him being pulled away from the basket.

Now, with Kev starting, Im guessing he needs to stay home too, but when it was Cam, you would assume he had free range to go 1-3 if needed.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, kg01 said:

When are they supposed to start putting it all together tho.

A year from now?  2?  They're not even competent.  They're certainly not competitive consistently.

The WC thing is true but can't keep being an excuse.

But it the reality of their situation. It is hard to get ahead in a conference when the top dogs are the best teams in the entire NBA. The Wolves can't help how deep their competition is. 

KAT is already a superstar. Russell is a 20/6 type of PG. He is what he is. Malik is a solid player. If Edwards develops into a star which is a big IF but IF he does then yes two years they should be in the playoffs.

They still have a hole at PF, no bench outside of Rubio and still play in the WC. I think you have consistently been too hard on them. If they were in the East they would have several previous teams in the playoffs at this point.

10 hours ago, Sothron said:

But it the reality of their situation. It is hard to get ahead in a conference when the top dogs are the best teams in the entire NBA. The Wolves can't help how deep their competition is. 

KAT is already a superstar. Russell is a 20/6 type of PG. He is what he is. Malik is a solid player. If Edwards develops into a star which is a big IF but IF he does then yes two years they should be in the playoffs.

They still have a hole at PF, no bench outside of Rubio and still play in the WC. I think you have consistently been too hard on them. If they were in the East they would have several previous teams in the playoffs at this point.

I'll admit that I'm pretty hard on the Twolves, partly because I enjoy ruffling a certain someone's feathers. 😏

But I do think they should be better than what they are.  And I think there are a couple WC teams that make the conference excuse kinda lame(ish).  PHX, POR, MEM, DEN have been in similar positions as MIN has (arguably) a greater singular talent than each of them.  MIN is bad because they've made bad decisions for a lotta years and they've hitched their wagon to a "star" who's main flaws make it questionable that he'll ever be able to lead a team to consistent winning.

I think that's fair to say.

The relevant problem, on this site though, is I hope the underlined doesn't apply to a certain team with a bird mascot.

😔

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Sothron said:

If they were in the East they would have several previous teams in the playoffs at this point.

I'm not seeing a single season that would have turned out differently in the KAT era.

2019-20 - Minny's 19 wins would be worst in the East

2018-19 - Minny's 36 wins would be 11th in the East

2017-18 - Minnesota's 47 wins made the playoffs in the West and would have in the East

2016-17 - Minnesota's 31 wins would have tied for 12th in the East

2015-16 - Minnesota's 29 wins would have been 14th in the East

• Like 1

• Moderators

I like the Wolves I just think that it's one of those insane things.   The teams look good on paper sometimes but it never really works.   Just seems like they need a fresh start.    Look where Nola is now because they were able to trade AD.   Now KAT isn't AD but he'd still bring in big haul.   Maybe you keep Russell.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm not seeing a single season that would have turned out differently in the KAT era.

2019-20 - Minny's 19 wins would be worst in the East

2018-19 - Minny's 36 wins would be 11th in the East

2017-18 - Minnesota's 47 wins made the playoffs in the West and would have in the East

2016-17 - Minnesota's 31 wins would have tied for 12th in the East

2015-16 - Minnesota's 29 wins would have been 14th in the East

...you do realize if they were in the EC instead of the WC they would have had much easier opponents to play against which would have affected their win/loss record? You can't just take their overall record in the West and assume they'd have the same number of wins in the East. Since they'd play the WC less often and more often play weaker EC teams their win total would go up every season you listed.

Another problem they have in the WC that no one but Wolves fans know is that they have the worst travel schedule every year in the NBA. They have to travel much further than other teams and that yearly grind takes a toll.

4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

...you do realize if they were in the EC instead of the WC they would have had much easier opponents to play against which would have affected their win/loss record? You can't just take their overall record in the West and assume they'd have the same number of wins in the East. Since they'd play the WC less often and more often play weaker EC teams their win total would go up every season you listed.

Another problem they have in the WC that no one but Wolves fans know is that they have the worst travel schedule every year in the NBA. They have to travel much further than other teams and that yearly grind takes a toll.

Hate to butt in (no I don't) but this is kinda like when fans see their team score 100 points without their 20pt/game scorer.  And they think, "well if so-and-so was playing, we would've scored 120 points!"

It's not that simple.  You can't just add to their win total because of playing "weaker" opponents.  They are a weak opponent so who knows how those games would end up?

The travel thing is a legit concern, which I was actually aware of.  Hey, give some of us credit.  We know things.

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47745b6uialvtpmr0t0jn

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I guess I'm confused as to when they've been so dominant against the East.  I'm sure I've missed a few games but I'm seeing them with a losing record against the East every year:

2020-21:  1-2

2019-20:  10-15

2018-19:   14-16

2017-18:  13-18

2016-17:  13-17

2015-16:  11-19

tenor.gif

• Moderators

Hey I'm getting on board with Sothron here.   Not that he needs my help but the one season where they had a decent roster and good coach they went 47-35.  If i remember right Butler was injured for the playoffs?   Now you can say that they were good because of Butler but that's no different than any other good team.  No one has one star.   But that team certainly would have been a strong playoff team in the east and not the 8th seed like they were in the west.   

I just feel like they have a tough road to add the talent they need to compete.   But I could be wrong.   I think Ant will be really good for them but it maybe a more bad luck that he was the #1 pick the year they got it.   We'll see. 

• Like 1